Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to become a better PoM

Default I need to become a better PoM

So I made a PoM so I could be a healer for my guild whenever we were short one for 6-mans, since we already had a ToS and a BS. But having only ever done 6-mans with a HoX before, I'm at loss as to how to become an effective healer. I've read a few guides on this forum that have helped me with the basics and with feat ideas, and currently this is what I've got.

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v2_1186...eecc2ee002ef2c

I know it's not ideal, but seeing as my main job is to be healing, I went with a healing spec that I'm comfortable with. I like the damage output of machine-gun Condemnations with Holy Storm, even if it's not as powerful as MSE-Insta-Smite, and I like the healing from Lance of Mitra. I went into the general tree primarily for the insta-big heal so I can drop it on the run when a tank is kiting the boss, and the mana regen feats don't hurt. Life of Mitra is my main optional mana feat, and I sacrificed the good damage I could have gotten going Div/Veng with Purification of Mitra so that I could do my job better as a healer, and leave dps for when I have Holy Storm up.

Going into a boss fight, I put up the blue and green heal, then put Diving Blessing on the MT so they can grab aggro faster. I figure 10 seconds of 100% Weapon Damage is good for that. Then I drop Rebuke, Lance of Mitra, and Smite, and juggle those three on cooldown, with Condemnation + Holy Cleansing + Condemnation whenever Holy Storm comes up from Avatar of Mitra and Divine Halo is up. From there, for me, it's watching when to use AA and big heal, use Divine Blessing again when the tank is having trouble with aggro, and so forth.

Currently Geared in full Children of Yag blues with blue mace and tali from Warmonk's. I went Yag over SC that everyone else roots for since I wanted the heal rating from the Yag for a stronger Celestial Gaze, though it's still currently pretty weak.

What I'm struggling with right now is keeping the tanks, and thereby myself, alive. Some of it is not knowing the strats, which I can slowly build up, but the rest is what I feel to be me not putting out enough healing for the tanks. I keep blues and greens up as much as I can, and drop a big heal whenever the tank gets especially low. I recall tanks calling for big heals when I did runs with Vent up for HoC and Yag Loop while playing as a HoX, though I haven't done any 6-mans with vent as a PoM, so I kinda have to wing it with regards to when to use my big heal. But between blues, greens, big heal, a weak celestial gaze, and Lance of Mitra, I should be putting out enough healing to keep a DT or Guard on their toes. I just don't know where I'm not doing it right atm.

What makes you think you're not "doing it right"? What's yer tank doing? We'd have to know that too; to be able to get a true picture. From a first glance ~ sounds like they might be part of the problem too.
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

It's been different tanks across different groups, since I've done some all-PUG and one run with a tank and a dps from guild and the rest PUG.

The run with the guild was Reliquary and Vortex, then Palace. Not much happened except that I pretty much instantly died in Vortex due to botching the falling part after going up in a blue 'nado. We had a BS with us who was solid enough to solo-heal the group, so not much to say there.

Was solo-heal for a run that I think was also Warmonk's but I can't be for sure. Didn't make it very far. All I can remember is that both tanks kept on dying. They were following the strats as far as I can remember. I was still very unused to all the aspects of healing that I had to be doing, and forgot to use some stuff, like Divine Blessing and debuffing.

Most recently was healer for an Unchained Amph run. First time going into Unchained Amph, though I had read the strats before-hand. Other healer was a ToS who appeared to be focused on dps, leastwise didn't drop any greens as far as I could see and did some spellweaving. Tanks were a DT and a Guard, with Guard MT and DT backup. Tanks died a lot on second and third bosses, second boss was mostly my fault for not cc'ing during the channeling. Learned the hard way that Avatar of Mitra didn't stun the boss, and so had to use Repulse and Condemn. When both were on cd, the main tank died. Did a lot of running back into the fight from the rez pad for that one. Third boss was also a lot of running back. MT died pretty fast into the fight, and from there it went downhill. We had the Sin on the chain I think. DT kited the boss around the giant a lot, and the necro and ToS also did some kiting. I basically tried to chase whoever was being kited, dropping blues and big heals when in range, as well as Divine Blessing whenever that was up. It was a big mess. Somehow managed to put the boss down in the end.

I know quality of the tank can be a factor when considering tank survival, but I want to do what I can do make sure I'm at least doing my end the best I Can.

Healing in aoc isn't like healing in a lot of other games. If you have your blue and green heal up at all times and big heal when needed, there isn't too much more you can do to keep the tanks alive. What does help keep tanks alive is for healers to properly damage and debuff the boss as well as heal. That's what sets apart the good from the excellent.

Just focus on the strats and don't blame yourself so much, I'm sure you're doing fine
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

You are doing it all right. Blame your tanks.

One thing you could reconsider is using your bigheal to save a tanks life. In a fight with stable damage from the boss (like the instances you described) I prefer if a healer uses it as soon as a tank goes down far enough. So when your bigheal heals for 3.5k I usually use it when a tank loses about 5k. That way you can sometimes pop a extra bigheal and prevent trouble altogether instead of saving it for when the tank gets in trouble.

Also: Don't forget to dps! As a pom it's not needed to be lowest on the parsers to be a effective healer like many think and by doing more dps you kill a boss faster.
    That way you prevent damage from being done in the first place and there will also be less chance to die or make mistakes.
    Take Reliquary of Flame for example: if you do more dps you might be able to bring the boss down 25% before a 2nd 'burn skin' is cast. Your group will take less damage, you will have to heal less, there is a smaller chance for mistakes from the rogues, and there is plenty of time to heal up when people are dropping sand on the fire.
    What I'm trying to say is: if you can push out double dps and lose 10% of your healing, then this will generally make a encounter much smoother, try to find a balance.

Besides that, blame your tanks. Anything you described a half-decent tank should be able to survive with just a green and a blueheal all the time on him and the occasional aggroswitch.

About AoK: Tanks dying from the long cast because your CC's were on cooldown is just ridiculous. There are 4 more people in your group so again: time to blame someone else.

hint for the platform in vortex: if you tend to jump too far, turn around and back off the middle of the platform. You are less likely to hit the edge of the pool.

Most classes have CCs. Someone else could also have CCed that second boss, it should not depend all on one class. Tos has a faster cooldown on cobra stare, for example. Every healer should be doing their big heal and their green heals, one blue heal is all that is needed.

Since your big heal has a cooldown, you don't have to wait til the tank is down half health to use it. Its only going to heal for less than 2K anyway, so if you both used it at once its maybe 3K health. Try to stagger big heals though if you can.

It cannot be stated enough that you need to do dps on any character in this game. Healing is an additional effect. There are no healer classes in this game.

The formula is pretty straight forward:

damage * time = total damage

So if you can help on reducing the factor "time" by doing a lot more dps, you should. Spellweave as much as you can. Go for all the crit parts regarding gear. Keep attacking and Divine Halo stacked.

Divine Halo healing crits accordingly to your crit rating! This is a massive healing source that goes automatically as long as you keep spamming damage spells!

And yeah, if you got green and blue going, blame the tanks.

Thanks all for the advice.

On the subject of spellweaving, I hardly ever find a time in 6-mans to actually do it, since it involves a lot of running around most the time, dodging tornadoes, enemy minions, putting sand, avoiding hot floors and fires and etc. Outside of maybe HoC, I can't think of many new-world 6-mans where I would see spellweaving as a safe thing to do. What's the best way to utilize spellweaving?

Basically if you got more than 10-12 seconds to dps the mob/boss, hit spellweaving. The +15% mana drain is essential in mana managment for PoM, and the Knockback buff is just so overpowering that I got no words. You can solo kill everything that can be knocked over.

Agree with the advise given here.
    Some patch which increased health pools but not healing made "healing" kinda a non event.

Keep ya blues and greens up and big heal when the tank gets to bout 60% usually.

The key thing is to dps, dps and then dps some more....no pom should ever parse in the bottom of a group list.....we have some great damage potential and with the right mix of gear can easily solo heal and dish out the pain.

Try this Div heavy build for starters

http://goo.gl/gyanrh

You could swap the two points from Empowered Repulse into Divine Lance if you wanted to feat some more healing
    Last edited by stalkerfan; 31st December 2013 at 00:43.
    People just don't want to invest time in an MMO. A true showing of ADD. I think AOC isn't a game for you if you just want to start out at max levels. You should try star wars, Call of Duty, AION, or any of the other instant gratification games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast