Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Raid Necromancer

Very nice!
    Been looking for a necro guide myself.

Stickied
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Communication and battle tactics

Even the most skilled soldier is worthless if he is in the wrong place, attacks the wrong enemy or doesn't understand the orders given to him. To realize our full potential as a Necromancer, we'll have to look at some battle situations and commands which will likely be given to you and how to react to those properly.

Sadly, most raid leaders speak some kind of MMO pidgin English. You'll have to translate that into proper words, so as to understand what the hell this little shouting man or woman wants from you.

"Wait for the tanks to build up aggro!"

A lot of people misbelieve this command to mean something about "waiting with attacking", whyever one would want to do that. These people (including some raid leaders) will give you grief if they'll notice you attacking now.

So, we have to avoid getting attention. Start by putting your DoTs (Mark of the Devourer, Flesh to Worms, Pestinental Blast) on your target. Activate Gangrenous Stench. They have subtle casting animations, and most people will mistake the icons to be helpful debuffs.

Also, order your pets to attack if you have ranged pets. They, too, have subtle casting animations, and oftentimes are standing far away from the boss, so that tanks and raid leaders don't even see them.

"Damage go!"

This is the order for lesser classes like rogues and other mages to attack - we have, as stated above, already begun our assault.

For us, this is the moment to switch from a hidden attack to an all out bombardment. Immediately jump into spellweaving stance, detonate the Pestinental Blast already set up with Chill and start your attack routine.

As the other classes waste time on drawing weapons, running to the boss, refueling their flamethrower and so on, we're already doing near 100% of our damage potential.

If the tanks learn to tank that, the raid will succeed in the long run even on bosses with difficult aggro management.

"Damage stop!"

This order is given when the tanks messed up and didn't keep up with the Necromancers or maybe one the lesser classes' aggro.

Immediately stop spellweaving. Spellweaving gives away that we're attacking even to the less observant raid leader, and we don't want that now.

Switch to less obvious spells again, like renewing your DoTs, Gangrenous Stench and so on.

Your pets can continue to attack freely. If you're questioned about that, deny that they even did, and ask the accuser if he knows if it were truely your pets or that of another Necromancer. They usually don't.

Most raid leaders have the memory span of a senile gold fish, so you can use this trick again the next time.

"Focus on ...!"

This is the sound raid leaders make when they feel that too many people are swarming an opponent the traiterous fools love too much. They try to save their little friend by diverting damage to a less important (and less loved) target.

That doesn't stop us from wiping out all opposition, though. As a necro, you can keep up near 100% of your damage on many parallel targets.

- Put DoTs on all of them. When you spellweave, some of them do splash damage (!), thus increasing the damage done to each of them.
    - Blast the one standing in the center with Ice Strike. Ice Strike does a lot of splash damage, equalling a true AoE spell.
    - Gangrenous Stench also affects everything in range.

This way, you'll a lot of damage on every target (including the focus target), but - more importantly - you'll do a lot more total damage. This is what shows up in damage parsers - and make you the No 1 king or queen of damage. If damage logs are posted, don't fail to mention the superiority of your class and your personal skill. Lament the lacking equipment and hardly acceptable feat builds brought into the fight by the lesser classes. Hint at them not trying hard enough. Only thus will they understand their place in the world - at our feets. Why else would Funcom have given us Spellweaving, rising us up on a glowing altar, with statues shown praying to us, if not to state our near god like status? Remind other of this godly edict whenever it's appropriate (which is whenever it's possible).
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 25th December 2013 at 10:59.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post
    - Ghoulish Feast freely usable (5% Life-/Mana-/Stamina-Drain for the whole group = awesome)
    the only thing that needs to be changed maybe

its actually only 5% Life-/Mana-/Stamina-tap
    here the description:

The necromancer consumes a Shackled Heart, granting them and their allies improved lifetap ability, leeching health, stamina and mana from those they damage in combat.
    Requirement: A Shackled Heart from a Draw Forth the Heart spell

so not a big issue well done
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post
    Introduction
    The class is most similar to the Demonologist, but is more complex due to a higher number of spells and pets and some very peculiar mechanics.
    Complex, read: broken. Many of the spells and feats are useless and no situations can justify their usage. The most complex thing about the Necromancer is knowing what NOT to spec/use. Besides that, pull up pets according to what you specced into and do PB, FtW, MotD, IS, IS, IS, IS, Chill. With some BR and Lifestrike in between. Can't see how much more complex that is than the Demonologist.

You could add a paragraph about Tome of Epithur. Pretty great group buff, and makes your Blizzard aoe stun everything. Ice Strikes stuns the target you attack only.

Some quirks like Frenzy, Sacrifice, Plague Swarm and Despoil the Soul have been left out as well, that is neat to know about. Killing a 4 point pet with Sacrifice gives 78% bonus base spell damage for 20 seconds. Frenzy can save a tank sometimes. Plague Swarm spreads Flesh to Worms to all mobs in aoe, and give them full timer on the dot as well as a neat initial damage. Despoil the Soul is neat combo with Chilling Breath. Chilling Breath actually replaces the 0.35 damage coefficient of Ice Strikes with 0.65 effectively doubles the damage you gain from your bonus spell damage towards Ice Strike.
    Last edited by Shax84; 29th December 2013 at 14:00.

Thumbs up

Moved my comment because it was in the middle of your guide

My pvp centric necro guide should be out in the next few weeks, Great work here
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Thanks for the comments! Updated some things (thanks @ Smacro for the Ghoulish Feast), added Perk guide and copied the equipment section from the demo guide. Work in progress.

@ Shax
    Good suggestions, I'll add those. Tome of Epithur is, indeed, worthy to be mentioned specifically.

About the complexity - yes, Necro is, in my opinion, more complex. Actual playing him ain't much different, one usually uses about 5 to 10 buttons or so with both classes. But the feats, pets, damage calculations and so on are - in my opinion - more complex. Personally, I've seen more people completely fail as a Necro than as a Demo, using absolutely useless spells als pets. Doesn't mean that one cannot learn the Necro or that playing Demo is easy mode, but I stay by my assertation that it is more complex.

I agree with the broken part. The feat tree is a minefield of really, really badly designed or bugged abilities. Same goes for the spellbook, though to a lesser extent.

@ Used Tissue
    Great! I'm eager to read that - I've pvp't some, but... uhm... something of manual would be welcome!
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 30th December 2013 at 22:23.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Is the first build in post #3 supposed to have two points in Gluttonous Reaper? And Ancient Soul, never really got a good idea of how and when to use that best, if not combined with PSS.

Better maybe to spend those three into Worm Swarm for a 30% increase on FtW?

And three points in Flash Freeze, vs putting max into Frozen Body?

The feat points you mention are not essential to the build, and were you put them is not of critical importance in my opinion. Personally, I don't rate a spell damage increase on FtW as really usefull as the base spell damage of that spell is so incredibly low. 30% of almost nothing isn't much. Some, even a microscopic inrease in group healing is, in my opinion, worth more.

As a background on that, I have to say that I really like doing a lot of damage, but never felt the need to put every single point into pure damage feats, especially into those with a low return of investment. The amount of damage we can do is limited by the aggro buildup of the tanks, and the amount of damage we need is determined by the enrage timers of bosses and our desire to top the damage parses. The builds I use at least for me are enough to at least keep up with every other necro I've played with so far, and scratch on the "aggro ceiling" if played aggressively.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Had a question regarding Ravenous Souls. Been told by a couple folks that using the Parasite Host correctly will ramp up the damage better than focusing on other buffs. Does Ravenous Souls buff these skulls as well, and is the damage noticeable?
    I don't make points I make dents.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    Had a question regarding Ravenous Souls. Been told by a couple folks that using the Parasite Host correctly will ramp up the damage better than focusing on other buffs. Does Ravenous Souls buff these skulls as well, and is the damage noticeable?
    nothing impressive but it does help in longer fights, in short burst fights pointless to have that feat.
    more skulls more procs and more pets to get afected by tos blue heal damage proc wich along side resonance from idol is main reason why more skulls= more dps, other classes afect it with extra damage procs and such but resonance and blue heal from tos are the most influencial ones.
    adjacent wont be registered properly, but more pets and stuff dies faster due to armaggedon falls debuff.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast