Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we get stat CAPS?

Diminishing return is a much more elegant solution than just hard cap.

But there's one dev dedicated to AoC, he's got his hands full already, so i don't see him implement any kind of diminishing return on stats, even though it would be pretty much "just" porting the system from TSW, where such mechanism does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    of course crit should be capped differently for archetypes. conqs and dts are op because they can boost their crit to high levels then any DD. at least conq can. Dt would be although much more balanced, if wisdom would be capped for soldier archetype.
    The issue simple - crit and crit damage modifiers scale exponentially, while other stats (like combat rating) are linear. So classes which have a lot of innate crit (conq) or crit damage (DT from VoM) benefit more from gear and AA crit / crit damage ratings than classes that don't have similar innate modifiers (e.g. barb).

This also means that stat caps will be of little use to achieving balance, unless they are class specific - i.e. taking into account the innate modifiers of a class, so that total dps is tweaked to the desired level. But if you do that, you might just as well adjust the innate modifiers directly - i.e., a (minor) revamp.

Personally, I think a crit amd crit damage "revamp" would be preferable to stat caps, as it would be more transparent, and would not require more dev resources (since a well-designed stat cap would require pretty much the same number crunching). Of course, theorycrafters may disagree, as intransparent systems are paradise for min-/maxers.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    I think we can all agree that currently AOC has problems with stats where everyone just wants DPS DPS DPS and CRIT CRIT CRIT. This is why everyone picks pressing/decesive strikes and want max damage and crit. With DT is this even more painfuly evident as the whole class is based around crits and VOM (I am not talking about tanking).

So the question is: should different classes/archetypes get stats CAP so no matter how much, for example, combat rating will someone add with armor piece it won't go over the capped which will be set at certain amount (max amount).

This would encourage people playing with different armor set ups: if you have max DPS possible then what armor pieces you could change to keep said MAX dps, but also raise HP and protection.

Or as assassin you can have MAX dps, but you can also further your damage by looking for a way to rise offhand while keeping same DPS from combat rating.

This also fixes issues with tank classes doing ungodly amount of DPS with T4 weapons.

Finally, it would make new crafting actually useful with trying to come up with an item that will work well with given CAPs (for example trying to get a slightly lower combat rating on a ring but also a HP boost).

Right now I am really afraid that new crafting will be turned into "who can make item with biggest DPS/crit"

Also without stat caps next tier of gear (T5, if it comes at all) will be so insanely good that 80lvl character wearing it.

We might not agree on solution but can we at least agree there is an gear issue in AOC?
    or unchained minis

Unchained minis is cool but I love open world pvp too. And stats capping would help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahaqa View Post
    Absolutely not. Numbers must go up. If I am to pay for another 1 year sub I must know that I am going to have significantly better gear than I have now (T4). And FC needs to expand AAs too. I have hundreds/thousands mastery points to spend on several characters and mostly full prowess side from time training/expertise. The only problem in AoC is lack of higher tier raids/new gear. Once you have several fully T4 geared characters with max AA there is nothing to do in this game, this is why people are leaving.
    And lol at this (looks like a troll but you never know...). This is exactly why the game is dying. This is the kind of mentality that killed the game in the first place.
    At some point the game just became yet another power-grinding MMO.
    Last edited by kalston; 13th December 2013 at 17:32.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

They need to get in unchained minis so the t4/pvp10 characters can fight in their own minis and the new starters or pve players learning to pvp can start in the 'beginning pool'.

Give the advanced minis double the exp and double the rewards to make them more appealing to the older players. With unchaineds, it will be skill based and not gear or AA if Funcom sets it up as they stated prior.

A new player starting out in pvp is at a major disadvantage right now (without AAs especially). And if the bored pvpers farm them on the ress pad...why would they come back?

well I personally prefer heavy defensive gears rather than pure offensive gears for some classes, especially in pvp. I always thinking why there is no defensive pvp set exists. Wish the craft revamp can give us more choices.
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

I can only agree with the poster above. Why is there only a single possibility with rangers (class I play 95% of the time) ?
    Pew-pewing and the more noobish is the feat, the more the class is effective o_O

I want to try to be more an assist player than dps, and I can't do it with current gear. Only pure dps is viable sadly, hence why you always see the same feat used by this class in pvp. It's boring.
    There's no fun trying to assist people at melee and dying in 2.5 second. Not to mention the dps of even the ranger T4 sword sucks against tanks.

It sure is a problem that there isn't any gear to protect you against the huge dps some feats and gear can give.
    Last edited by Religolibri; 13th December 2013 at 18:14.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Yes. At the very least for crit. Crit inflation is the cause of virtually every problem since Khitai launched.

Also "numbers must go up" is the dumbest axiom ever and its defenders should be ashamed.

Problem with crit is, that it increase damage way more then armor and especially Health is going up with the progression steps. best example is t4, consti even went down on some sets, but crit and damage went way up. the consequence of this is, that in pvp fights are so fast, that skill isnt the most important part in it anymore. just one lucky crit and the fight is over, you can not compensate it in any way. Critigation does not work good enough against crit.

some stats are going over board, other increase to slow. but i think this is the result from community feedback for classrevamps. after the first failed revamp, most ppl argued, that the last fotm class had this much damage and so much crit, i want that for my class to and funcom delievered...

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    funcom delievered...
    oh yea right, pve players wanted more dps for raids thats all, only reason you have those stats

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast