Thread: Leveling build?

Default Leveling build?

So I did a bit of research on this, and it looks like a good leveling build includes a mix of waylayer and sharpshooter.

Also, I'm maxing out scatter shot, but I can't tell if that's an AOE or not?

My build looks like this so far:

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v8_1272...9fe42a2a02a365

Scatter shot is a cone attack. The more points in it, the wider is the cone.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Not sure about others, but even at its best, I hardly ever hit more than two or three mobs with scatter shot fully feated -- they have to be very carefully lined up to hit them, and you won't be doing that much if you're solo leveling.

On the other hand, traps and CCs are your best friend when solo leveling a ranger. I would suggest going either waylayer or sharpshooter till you get the trap, then switching to the other tree to pick up the third trap. A technique that worked for me when I leveled ranger was to drop a leghold trap, hide, mez shoot a target (gives an upper buff at your level), switch to a second target, hit it with a combo. It will stall on the leghold (if it's melee, anyway), so you can finish it with little or no damage before the first target wakes up. Once you have third trap, you can drop it for the second target, so you can shoot it with your bow while you have it at range. Use the fire trap for extra dps at the end if needed.

Don't overlook the extra CCs either for mobs that get in your face. Concussive blast is a nice stun that you don't need to swap weps for. Shield bash is a knockback that is effective with just one point in it, though you need to swap weps and have a shield equipped to use it. Good strat is to use an upper bow shot for the buff, swap weps, and whack it with your shield when it gets to you for the knockback.

So, with very little effort, you can get 3-4 CCs to control mobs while you knock them off. My experience leveling a ranger, and later grinding with him in Khitai, was very positive, providing you're not looking for a lot of chain kills. Good luck with your ranger... it's my fav class in all of AoC.
    Last edited by GeneralFear; 10th December 2013 at 15:25.

As melee always happens, it's also worth learning to double-tap. Forward for a chance at a short stun, backwards for a bonus to Evade, sideways for... nothing that's actually any use any more, forget that one.
    shoryuken