Thread: Mile vs Km... Imperial measurements

Default Mile vs Km... Imperial measurements

This vid pretty much explains why the Imperial system is crap

Enjoy

http://www.wimp.com/imperialmeasurements/

Go metric

But the Imperial system forces you to use math. Metric is just powers of 10.

That said, with America using an Imperial system, you would think we would be better at math. Or realize that 80mph does not equal 80kph.

The again, a probe crashed into Mars because the Imperial Scientists and the Powers of 10 Scientists automatically assumed calculations were being done in their preferred measurement system. So, thinking you have 100 miles to go when it is only 100km makes for spactacular crashes, apparently.
    Last edited by batkalim; 29th November 2013 at 23:32. Reason: American Education System does not teach us to spell very well.
    -There are things in the deep desert that could not be imagined even in the nightmares of a thousand madmen.-

Each time the debate is brought to the table, It reminds me this cartoon of The Oatmeal : http://theoatmeal.com/pl/senior_year/science

The only place where I vigorously use Imperial is in aviation :P For me it's alien to measure height and speed in meters/kph, even though I'm a fully metric tosspot in everything else.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Kilometer high club just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Then use the scandinavian mile for your high altitude pleasures
    I am Stian ingame...

Quote Originally Posted by twinklez3 View Post
    Kilometer high club just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Or to be more precise, the 1.6 kilometer high club.
    -There are things in the deep desert that could not be imagined even in the nightmares of a thousand madmen.-

Saw that video yesterday and it is funny. I didn't even know half of those measures.