Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: World Raid Boss PvE System & Legendary Items

If a player is lvl 16 and can't make it to lvl 80 by the end of the year...that's a bit strange anyway.

Its not like it takes a long time to level up to 80. When the world bosses were out before, I know people were getting a lot of experience by being around the boss kill. Is that a bit issue, considering most veteran players have extra offline levels just sitting in the 'bank'?

If a player wants the cloak, they have to be playing for a full year. I don't know offhand if it means that FTP can go and get the cloak quest or not (didn't read all the posts in here if that was already covered), but if you are going to play for a full year to get this cloak, that's a good thing for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CirithGorgor View Post
    If a level 16 or indeed anyone under level 80 spends a year tagging bosses and is rewarded with a legendary cloak, that they can not use until they are level 80, I really do not see this as a problem.
    Its 1 item slot out of 13-14, sure some of those others will probably be supplemented along the way, but if that makes them more competitive at level 80 after that year then I only see that as being a positive result for everyone.
    I can see your point, but it does not make it fair compared to other progression routes.
    You are aware that the prerequisites to get vanity gear from seasonal events are far higher than from the description of world boss mechanics now?
    If you in overall had a better loot/time ratio and these would fit in smoothly, i guess no one could complain.

But i think the people spending years raiding for a certain weapon or farming months for mats to craft or farming rares without exploiting and playing actively in k6 groups for a worse cloak will not be happy.
    Why not divide it up a bit compared to how much you have participated?

Everyone who helps should get something. And just linking it to damage will not be fair to levelling chars. But you could for example give 1-3 points per boss. 1 for just tagging once (witness), 2 for participating and staying (helper) and 3 for starting, being part of a group that did damage and being there at the kill (defeat). You could then offer three versions (blue power, purple power and legendary), depending how much points they have.
    This would allow for a levelling char to keep levelling and still get a legendary or purple cloak version. Similar you could count on a blue or purple at least, if you miss out some bosses.
    Like:
    0-11 points: vanity
    12-19 points: blue cloak
    20-29 points: purple cloak
    30+: yellow cloak
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 5th December 2013 at 20:30.

I like the general idea of the event.

I see the Legendary reward as a nice gimmick that end up a long road, not as a motivation. The fact it's not that great stat-wise doesn't really bother me. The 5y anniversary event was fun and if this year-long event goes the same way, it's very welcome.

kurt2013;

You cant let old mechanics or gameplay stand in the way of adding content or methods of aquiring gear.

WOW have your epics become outdated each time they raise the levelcap.

Diablo3; all of my current hardearned gear be outdated within hours at ros patch release.

Eve online; i have a titan. Biggest capital in game. As years passed by CCP realised balancing had to be done. Ship balancing ensues.

Point is; are we going to resist any change due to nostalgic attachment to our hardearned gear? Why not think back on the hours of fun you had getting said gear, and on the fun you will have getting new gear.

Glass half empty or half full situation.

AoC always had a certain charme. It is not WoW. People rather play here, because it is NOT WoW.

And adding gear is fine and a good way (for PvE only!), if you add tougher areas. I never even criticized the idea of adding new gear.
    But the AoC way of not increasing the level cap reduces progress to gear only and this makes good balancing and player choices very important (due to the combat formulae and the level cap). Adding something (even just on one slot) that is supposed to be "better" than almost all other pieces, reduces this choice and might be too much inflation if it is easy to get.

And what you say, isn't it just what people here do???
    Thinking of the fun they will have in getting new gear.

Got nothing to do with glass half full or empty...it is more about design choices and balancing issues. And as i said, the problems could be easily avoided either by making the cloak not just given away through attendance or the things i said earlier in the thread (really unique artifacts).

And i have not even started on, if the way others do it in a certain way through linear progression, is even a clever design choice. But that would be a completely different topic and since i never played the games you mentioned, i could not really give qualified comments.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 5th December 2013 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    I can see your point, but it does not make it fair compared to other progression routes.
    to how much you have participated?
    Dude, this is an imaginary item. do you really talk about fairness? i think its quite fair to get it this way, because it doesn't matter if the car is 16 or 80, both have to do the exact same thing to obtain it. especially no one will wait a whole year and dont level the char and onyl doing this bosses which will give xp too. meaning you will level nonetheless.

and as long as low level chars can't equip it before hitting 80, i dont see any balancing problem...

And what has "being an imaginary item" to do with comparing it to other "imaginary items" or making that invalid? The effort to get one or the other is NOT imaginary after all

and what is unfair about the fact a lowlevle can gain but not waer it until 80? he has to do the exact same as an already 80 char.

the items are leghendary for the amount of time you need to gain them, not for the skill needed to obtain them, get that and then maybe you will see that there is no problem at all. Especially because the progression route isnt made invalid with this, its still valid for every other piece a char needs so he will do the progression route nonetheless.

Not much, but that was not the point. The problem is how it is achieved compared to other ways of achieving worse or similar items.

Another suggestion about participating:
    If the low level helps and stays for the kill (e.g. spends at least time), there is no problem at all, except the tech side (freezelags, crashes due to population in the zone). Still you might consider adding some king of apprenticeship buff near the bosses (first to avoid abusing them for powerlevelling, second to allow lowbies to really help and not feel like leeching). It will make a lot of difference to fun, if a lvl20 does 200 damage instead of 2. Maybe these bosses can share more similarities to players, for example ccable but with immunites, damageable independant of pve level, determining kill dependant on damage etc..

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910