Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: enable joining minis with our 1 or 2 friends at least

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post

Given its mechanics, PvP in AoC will never be perfectly accomodating to casuals. But you can likely broaden the player base by making PvP more competitive. Unchained minigames are a good step, since they encourage one set of skills (motoric) over grind. Allowing signups with friends would be another good step, since it encourages another set of skills (collaboration) - and it's not always the fastest keyboard wizards who also excel at that. Encourage competition - and both hardcore PvPers and casuals will benefit.
    I can agree to all except this, because i know it was perfectly accomodating to casuals once. It was just this "oh, i can play an hour AoC or so" that kept me hooked to the game (amongst other thing, but even with complete pvp messed up, it is still a factor that lets me stick around signing minis or check open world).

Also the skill factor is completely overrated. The basics are easy to learn and you can improve really fast, you just have to play and communicate a few minutes. And before pvp10 was introduced, even as undergeared new player you could have a learning curve, could spot a skipper easily and have fun even while loosing. Fights were more likely exciting to watch and as spectator you could learn. All this has become less and less of a factor.

It might appeal to some now, but for me the idea of a game system promoting the "you have to grind where we say, before you can do this or that" is a bit alien. And as Delred said...if you filter out a lot of people with certain actions and then ask only the remaining "how do you like the feature?", of course you will get a positive feedback.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 7th November 2013 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    I can agree to all except this, because i know it was perfectly accomodating to casuals once. ... Also the skill factor is completely overrated.
    Games like DOTA2 and LOL have incredibly simple mechanics, and skill makes all the difference. Of course it is a big factor in AoC as well.

AoC PvP is currently bogged down by all kinds of other crap that make skill matter less. But once that is taken care of, it won't mean that minis will be balanced. They won't, because there is a significant skill gap and because the player base is not big enough to support tools to address that skill gap. This is not a minor point - you can play DOTA2 without feeling too bad about your lack of skill, since the matchmaking algorithm pits you against other bad players. AoC doesn't have tools to make bad players feel good about themselves, and given the player base it wouldn't make sense to create them. This will always act as a deterrent for casuals to engage in PvP.

That said, is it still worth cutting the other crap? Sure, because it gives you an incentive to improve. And because losing a fair fight is more fun than losing a fight where you use a blowgun and the other guy an AK47.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

that mini sign ups has been broken for over a year says it all.

in swtor half the team can sign up why shouldnt that work here aswell?
    Kinaputten

Quote Originally Posted by Mogsters View Post
    that mini sign ups has been broken for over a year says it all.

in swtor half the team can sign up why shouldnt that work here aswell?
    Then we will have premades vs pugs again. If two teams of guild a sign up, three players per team, and randomly get put together, that's 6 players from guild a on the same team. Premade, vs team 2 which is pug. Talk about not fun...

I would love to sign with my full T4 friends in minis like the good old day....not.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf-of-Evil View Post
    Then we will have premades vs pugs again. If two teams of guild a sign up, three players per team, and randomly get put together, that's 6 players from guild a on the same team. Premade, vs team 2 which is pug. Talk about not fun...
    This actually is the situation in AoC right now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf-of-Evil View Post
    ye swtor has light/dark side, but anything is better than current situation and i mean anything
    Kinaputten

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    ... a group of teamworking t4 geared would ruin the whole balance.
    imo pve balance is broken as no veteran wants to group up with newbies for t4. Imo they should make random signups for raids!

/signed for minis with 1 or 2 friends

I don't like bashing PuG with a team, but i don't either like PvPing with clueless PuGs all the time. But i really fail to see the positive aspect of PuG minigames. Sure, you don't get hopelessly bashed by a team when you sign up alone for a minigame. But you still do when you're unlucky with the team assigning.

It really is a pain to PvP with players that don't give a **** about the team. On Crom it's particularly frustrating to join Jhebbal Sag with all those players only going there for prowess and nothing else. And on all servers it's annoying to play with zero teamplay.

PvP without team play is dull.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

I am also against pugs vs premades..

I said : it will be fine joining to mini with your 1 or 2 friend in same team. not whole team..
    Last edited by Fsen; 7th November 2013 at 20:05.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast