Thread: AoC Dev team - how many?

Default AoC Dev team - how many?

Heya,

Was wondering if anyone knew how large the AoC dev team was these days. Or if they even have a dedicated team. After the release of TSW, I know Funcom had HUGE cutbacks and lost half (or was it more?) of their staff.

Does AoC still have a dev team, or are they split between TSW and AoC? I havnt found much info on it looking on google or the forums, and was just wondering as a game this old with only 1 expansion is like ....what?

LotRO is coming out with a new xpack ...>.>

All Funcom devs work on AoC. They also work on Secret World, Anarchy Online and the future Lego Online. They don't have specific teams for games. Also they've been busy making 2 other MMOs after AoC's launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskwood0585 View Post
    LotRO is coming out with a new xpack ...>.>
    And you can bet your house that there's crying and moaning on their forums about how casual/grindy it's getting and the company sucks and how the upcoming expansion is awful and will kill the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    All Funcom devs work on AoC. They also work on Secret World, Anarchy Online and the future Lego Online. They don't have specific teams for games. Also they've been busy making 2 other MMOs after AoC's launch.

And you can bet your house that there's crying and moaning on their forums about how casual/grindy it's getting and the company sucks and how the upcoming expansion is awful and will kill the game.
    Ehh, admittedly Turbine does an OK job in bringing quality entertainmentbto their players.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    Ehh, admittedly Turbine does an OK job in bringing quality entertainmentbto their players.
    Yea, they do.

And different strokes for different folks, I'm not sure what people complaining about it has to do with anything. I was just curious how many devs worked on the game.

I like grindy.

CirithGorgor is one dev that is dedicated to AOC. He is pretty active on TL forums.
    Retired

There are 3~5 dedicated devs(coders) for AoC, 12~20+ for shared devs.

I heard Funcom have around 40 people, and only 1 of them work on AoC during summer 2013, when all other people get time off.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post

The way I believe it has been described is 1 shared team for AoC, TSW, and Anarchy Online. AO has a bit more of a solid team in that only a few people really understand how to code for it so those people stick mostly to AO, with the rest of the team hopping between the 3 games.

The Lego MMO has a different team entirely.

That said, there is also the Systems team that works on the Dreamworld Engine that hops between projects. I believe they are still currently working with the Lego MMO.

Unfortunately, there is no way of really knowing what the internal structure at Funcom looks like at any given time, since they stay rather tight lipped about that kind of thing.