Thread: fps dips/ micro stuttering /mini freezes

Unhappy fps dips/ micro stuttering /mini freezes

I know i have an outdated computer but im hopefull that someone can help with this issue im having as i dont have $1500 to drop on a new machine. Well here goes. I probably should post my specs as i know my cpu is most likely the problem then ill go into the problem

cpu is q6600 oc to 3.2
    mobo is nforce 680i lt sli with p30 bios
    gpu is 460 gtx super clocked
    700w power supply
    8g gskill ram
    drivers are up to date
    aoc is on a seperate 250g 7200 hdd defraged everynight and os drive is defraged everyday
    windows 7 x64
    1900x1080 res.its native res.

Anything else you need to know let me know and ill post it.
    it isnt a heat problem as my temps in speed fan,real temp etc, etc, all read normal 40-50 deg under load.Fraps shows 50-60 fps average.
    so here is my problem.
    I get these mini freezes/micro stutter/fps dips everytime i play. I have tried running everything on medium with everything turned off to high with minimal settings. Maybe im not setting something in nvidia control panel but i have everything to max performace i can get a screen shot of my settings when i get home but this is really driving me insane. Its immersion breaking and just plain sucks. Well hopefully someone can help with this. To all the replies that say get a new cpu, I cant. I dont have the money and i woul'nt for a long while. I just want to play without stuttering/mini freeze i dont care what it looks like...well i dont want to play on low settings.
    Have a wonderful day and thanks for the look at this post
    All the best
    killingtree

Is it only with this game? Can you run a different program that stresses the RAM/CPU? Like 3d mark.

That kind of stuttering, made me think of a failing power supply at first.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Run in windowed mode and when you see slowdowns/stutters click on your aoc window's minimize button (back to desktop) then maximize game window again.

This helps me fix the slowdowns everytime, might work for you too give it a try.

no its only this game and thanks for the replies.is there a way to test the psu to see if its failing? im not a complete nubb when it comes to computers. ill google it in the mean time. ill try the window mode also thanks for that
    all the best
    killingtree

Age of Conan, even being released in 2008 is a pretty graphics intensive game.
    Honestly a GTX460 is not that fast of a video card (see link below to compare).
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    MICRO STUTTERING is a term for timing issues with SLI/XFire setups.
    I hate to say it but my experience is... if you want max video settings you need a GTX480 or Higher performing single GPU vid card.
    Turn off shadows and run texture quality in "Performance" mode.
    Age of Conan has always had "Threading" problem for me, alt tabbing in and out at launch seems to fix that issue.
    Last edited by Sch0rch; 9th October 2013 at 17:22.

Run game in windowed full screen mode. it fixed a lot of stuff for me.

Don't buy new video card! I had GTX260 and upgarded it to several generations better Radeon 7700 with ZERO effect. Honestly the game runs slightly worst than on GTX260 :X
    Retired

I upgraded from HD4870 to HD7950. Difference should be massive, yes? It was not. I did notice a huge difference though when I upgraded from Core 2 Duo E8400 to the i7 4770K.

As others said before me, run the game in full screen windowed mode.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all but for some reason if I'm noticing micro stuttering, I alt-tab, open something (usually just windows explorer), and close it and get back to game and everything is fixed.

Sounds like a bogus solution but I complained about the same exact problem you have in guild chat and was told about this 'fix'from someone with similar problems and it worked for me.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    I don't know if this makes any sense at all but for some reason if I'm noticing micro stuttering, I alt-tab, open something (usually just windows explorer), and close it and get back to game and everything is fixed.

Sounds like a bogus solution but I complained about the same exact problem you have in guild chat and was told about this 'fix'from someone with similar problems and it worked for me.
    its common woe of TSW players
    Retired

Go to the patcher and enable all areas and low-resolution textures. Download it all. Exit. Select high-resolution textures. Download.
    This fixed it for me.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.