Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AA for PVP

Quote Originally Posted by UrZhu View Post
    thanks for responding, but i am confused -
    Why is Field of War only good for magic damage?
    The combat rating increase is almost negligible so the only real reason to use it is for the magic damage. Guard and barb don't use magic damage so DS/PS should be used instead or CW
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    The combat rating increase is almost negligible so the only real reason to use it is for the magic damage. Guard and barb don't use magic damage so DS/PS should be used instead or CW
    Again, I appreciate the response - I am trying to understand.

How is +450 or so PvP combat rating negligible?
    That is comparable to the combat rating on an epic PvP weapon. Seems like a nice bump up in combat rating without taking up a gear slot.
    Maybe I dont understand how PvP combat rating works.

Also, I believe that Guards do magic damage with Storm Strike, so it would boost our hardest hitting combo as well.

to clarify - why is +450 PvP combat rating negligible?
    Last edited by UrZhu; 23rd April 2014 at 04:30.

That is comparable to the combat rating on an epic PvP weapon. Seems like a nice bump up in combat rating without taking up a gear slot.

Also, I believe that Guards do magic damage with Storm Strike, so it would boost our hardest hitting combo as well.

450 combat rating is about 12 or 13 melee dps for white hits and finishers only. It doesn't affect anything but your active attacks. It won't improve your bleeds or retributive procs (only +weapon damage does that) and it scales poorly against both crit and crit damage.
    I don't make points I make dents.

SS is a elemental type damage but does not mean it's magic. Same goes for combat rating. You have elemental type combat rating that takes protection into account as a mitigation somewhat, but it's not magic damage. The only thing a guard has that is classified as magic damage (other than bleeds from charge , maybe intimidating shout and that's just classified as) is reckoning. That is affected by magic damage modifier, which comes from Frenzy. That's why in defensive your reckoning does very little but in Frenzy it's hitting 4x harder.

Weapon damage % however is what you want, combat rating does not scale and provides very little benefit compared to weapon damage.

Years ago in the gem days you could use +lightning damage gems to affect your dps, but the mechanics worked differently. I doubt stacking lightning damage now would do anything for guards though.
    Doomsayer 2008

lol, reckoning doesn't scale with magic modifiers at all, it's pure combat rating and weapon damage dependable. The only reason reckoning damage much better in frenzy is reckoning mechanic, but not magic damage modifier. And yeah field of war combat rating increases reckoning damage intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    450 combat rating is about 12 or 13 melee dps for white hits and finishers only. It doesn't affect anything but your active attacks. It won't improve your bleeds or retributive procs (only +weapon damage does that) and it scales poorly against both crit and crit damage.
    I see, thank you.

I thought PvP combat rating scaled differently. So it makes more sense to focus on crit and crit damage. My thinking was that FoW would make ALL my combos hit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandur View Post
    lol, reckoning doesn't scale with magic modifiers at all, it's pure combat rating and weapon damage dependable. The only reason reckoning damage much better in frenzy is reckoning mechanic, but not magic damage modifier. And yeah field of war combat rating increases reckoning damage intended.
    The magic damage bonus of frenzy does apply to reckoning, also silence makes it impossible to use reckoning. It's a spell, well at least partly. Magic damage from gear and such does not affect it however, nor do magic taps etc.

And while combat rating increases it, it's only a small flat bonus that doesn't scale with crits etc (unlike weapon damage modifier) so it still sucks (the CR I mean).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

reckoning is spell, that's why it can be silenced, but it depends only on weapon damage and combat rating/str. And if I check combat log U can see reckoning is slashing type of damage.

It's magic damage modifier that affect reckoning damage, not magic damage bonus. Works the same as sin's detonation.

So Any idea about precise strikes feat and perk will boost reckoning dmg ?
    Шторм-кнут

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast