Thread: Utility of Magic Damage vs Combat rating

Default Utility of Magic Damage vs Combat rating

For my education purpose, what would be the utility value of Magic damage vs Combat rating ?

Looking at for example T3 quest and droped rings and accessories, items have them on an even level:
    - 80 dext/strenght / 45 immunity / 225 protection vs 80 int/wisdom: ratio is 1:1
    - 70 str + 200 cr / 85 dext + 150 cr vs 115 wisdom / 117 intel: ratio is roughly 1,17:1

Looking at fury of iziel vs conviction of will, we find 336 combat rating vs 60 magic damage, the ratio is again 1,12:1

Now looking at buff potions that cost the same 15 rare tokens, we have on one side 780 combat rating and on the other side 80 magic damage. Here the ratio is 2:1. So for my education purpose, why such a discrepency compared to other ratios found in game?

They just slap some random numbers on items

I suppose it would be something like 1 magic damage = 5 combat rating? Divide up a variety of items from the same tier with similar stats and see where you get (raid items that is, they have a solid budget in place there)

It's always been lopsided though, combat rating.. is noticeable but majority of physical DPS comes from the strength of your weapon, combat rating is just a bonus on top of that. Magic damage is the same upgrades that number evenly so weapon isn't as meaningful (unless there's a hidden stat built into weapon that I don't know about but I don't believe there is). I can see you're trying to compare ratios on item budget so I guess that's off-topic, but it's a good reason why not to try to compare the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gevlya View Post
    For my education purpose, what would be the utility value of Magic damage vs Combat rating ?

Looking at for example T3 quest and droped rings and accessories, items have them on an even level:
    - 80 dext/strenght / 45 immunity / 225 protection vs 80 int/wisdom: ratio is 1:1
    - 70 str + 200 cr / 85 dext + 150 cr vs 115 wisdom / 117 intel: ratio is roughly 1,17:1

Looking at fury of iziel vs conviction of will, we find 336 combat rating vs 60 magic damage, the ratio is again 1,12:1

Now looking at buff potions that cost the same 15 rare tokens, we have on one side 780 combat rating and on the other side 80 magic damage. Here the ratio is 2:1. So for my education purpose, why such a discrepency compared to other ratios found in game?
    336:60 = 1,12:1 ?
    780:80 = 2:1 ?
    I suppose im a ****ing retarded but I dont understand your math. I use to count a 5,6 combat rating for 1 point of magic damage (from the kanjei rings) but when I compared tigers with SC gear on my DT it feels like it is a lot more that 5,6.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Sorry for my math xiulo, i used the base attribute as a conversion reference rate, that is strenght/dext to wisdom/intelligence.

So my 1:1 ratio with attributes is like a 5:1 (3:0.6) using actual Combat rating and Magic. I used that so that to have a reference standard of 1:1, i.e on most item budgets 1 strenght or dexterity weights about the same as 1 intelligence or dext, but on the 4h attribute buffs potions, you get 2 times more.

Combat rating is useless, all dps classes should be using intel gear true story.

Ye you are right all dps algorithm was build following the rule "brain over brawn". There is nothing more dangerous than a sin with a library card
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

U making assumptions that e.g. 1str=1int and going from there. That's wrong, cuz at first attributes add also other parametrics like mana, stamina, armor. So while 1str=1int in term of budget might be true, but not in dps.
    Nevertheless this is easy to investigate if u know a little mechanics behind dps. Almost all spells coefficient comes from "casting time*(magic dmg/4)". Here we see that 4 magic dmg = 1dps . While it is widely known that 36cr=dps. Easy to translate to 1 magic dmg = 9 combat rating.
    If you look at shop potion buffs, we see that 80=720 is right ratio. But looking at items and we see that combat rating really neglected against magic dmg, why this u might ask. Mine guess would be balance, melees get really big chunk of dps from weapons while casters don't benefit from it at all. No wonder people drool over magic dmg, but not so much combat rating, there is reason behind it afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Norther View Post
    Nevertheless this is easy to investigate if u know a little mechanics behind dps. Almost all spells coefficient comes from "casting time*(magic dmg/4)".
    Thanks for answer, this is why i asked, for education purpose. So can you explain more the second part of this quote? I thought that spells coefficients where different for each spell and i have no idea how to find them though that wouldof course be very useful too to balance stats such as spell base damage, magic damage, critical rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gevlya View Post
    Thanks for answer, this is why i asked, for education purpose. So can you explain more the second part of this quote? I thought that spells coefficients where different for each spell and i have no idea how to find them though that wouldof course be very useful too to balance stats such as spell base damage, magic damage, critical rating.
    each class spells has unique coeficients.
    some people bothered adding most coeficients of each class in the class threads.
    general rule of magic damage is

( Your Magic DMG * Coef ) + Max Spell DMG = Maximum non-crit dmg with that spell

base spell damage afects the tooltip max spell damage part of that equation, so depending on spell and its coeficients makes it better depending on actual values of that particluar spell, for most part magic damage procs grant higher damage then base spell damage.
    Last edited by noite80; 17th September 2013 at 22:21.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10