Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh, all those small annoying things..

Default Oh, all those small annoying things..

So I decided to take a stroll down memory lane and revisit Hyboria, after all, it's the best experience I've had in any mmo with tons of fun, brutal mayhem, intriguing politics and let's not forget.. boobs.

Anyhows, now more than 5 years after launch and two years since I last played, I find it sad to install a fresh copy of this game and after a couple of hours play time still find the following, not game breaking, but ever so annoying bugs and errors.

Started out with the F2P account

Login screen:

- Sort by "Oldest first" - Very incorrect. Actually one of my newest characters is listed first, while the rest is randomly placed in between.
    - My character has no beard! Did funcom shave him while I was gone?? (Phew.. he has beard when I logged in!)

Ingame:
    - Settings
    - No matter how much I tick the "Do not show" box, that annoying box keeps showing up after I've made adjustments.
    - Windowed Fullscreen does not cover more than 80'ish % of my screen width with 1980 res. So I've got to run it Windowed instead. (History has taught me it gives less fps, but what the heck.. can live with it)
    - When I log out and back in aoc doesn't remember my video settings.

Anyhows, getting in the game and getting ready to mingle and check out the new stuff! I heard there was a new place and spend my last veteran points on getting me a path to Dragons Spine! Woohoo, this gonna be fun! But... "huh?? I can't use it as I'm f2p? Then why the heck did you let me buy the path? Vet points dont come easy and you just made me waste a bunch of them!"

While I'm ingame I get some tells from old friends and ad them to my friends list, as I've got some rl stuff to take care of and I log out.

When I log back in a little while later the friends list is wiped clean.. Great..

Anyhows, I get up on my mount and enjoy the scenery. Damn, this is a pretty game.. still holding it's position graphics wise after all these years..

While riding around in OT I get the infomessages twice, like when I ride into the trader "Trading post" pops up twice on my screen, this happens not all over the place, but it happens often enough on different places, to be annoying.

Well, time to check out our old guild city! So I use my path of comrades and zone in. And behold!! It's there in all it's glory! "But wait... haha.. they really haven't fixed the invisible mount thing yet??" Well, it's been so long since I played so it was actually fun riding around star trooper style a little while, but seriously.. Later I find out that you've added a new bug to this everlasting thing as well where you've managed to get my mounts see-through! Interesting!

Well, I go down to our trade post and remember I might have some mails I haven't read, so I open the postal service and waits.. "Retrieveing messages..." Oh, wow.. this takes a while.. I really have gotten THAT many??
    2 minutes later..
    Nah.. can't be.. clicking the guild bank, then back to the mail box and behold! "No messages"
    Superb.. that was a fun bug..

Well, enough of that crap, I want to see dragons spine so I sub up Premium style! After a little while I'm fully subbed up (No bugs on taking my moneys funcom! Bravo!! ^^) and ready to explore the new lands!

So I zone to Dragons spine and... noeeeess... more deserts?? argh.. ah, well.. let's roll! I look down at my action bar and notice that almost all buttons are grayed out, like they're unavailable. I take my chance on clicking my mount anyhows, and wow! It DOES work even though it's gray! Superb! Or.. hmm.. how do I know when I can press what if I both can press gray and colored icons? Ah, well, I'll get in the groove again and catch up on that quick. The hundreds of thousands of new players you've had through Hyboria the last 4 years wont catch it quick, but what the heck. Not really my problem.

Well, I cruise around in the spine for a while before I decide to check up on one of my other toons. So I log out and log in my pom, time to do some pvp! hmmm... generating content.. generating content with no progress.. 30 secs later... Trying to alt-tab to watch some beer commercials while waiting.. nah, it wont let me.. whole computer stuck and after 5 minutes I see no other choice than to cold restart it.. Great.. Full crash after let's say 1 hours playing time.. And yeah.. I've got a very up to date rig.

Well, I start my rig again and log back in, this time my pom actually get's loaded with no problems. (Memory leaks came to mind at this point..)

While standing in khemi I notice that the same gold seller in global keeps spamming his adds. Even today, he keeps spamming global. Is it allowed in aoc now as no mods take action? You seriosuly dont have too many servers to handle now, so it lead me to conclude you no longer have any moderation in global at all. Sad.. It's sometimes useful.. (Though by all means!! Do NOT take away all the hating in global, it's part of the fun! ^^)

Well, other small bugs..
    - Life essence icon is still bugged. Probably a very hard fix.
    - While swimming my stance (barbarian reaver) graphics midscreen and sound constantly loops. Super annoying.
    - 4'th time I started the game I get the "It's possible your ... Verify?" thingy upon startup. Of course I wont do this as I know it takes ages and makes no real difference. Poor those new suckers always running this one.

Ah, well, I've got a month of barbaring to do in Hyboria! Look forward to meet up with a few of you old weirdoes out there!

Oh, funcom, this isn't hate, I still love you! I'm just a tiny bit annoyed that you haven't sorted out meaningless small bugs like this in all the time you've had

Wood
    Exalted

thats a nice read Wood. SOme things never change.
    Retired

Sounds like your Preferences file isn't being saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood72 View Post
    When I log back in a little while later the friends list is wiped clean.. Great..
    Your friends probably logged off. Right click on the tab and select Show Offline

Quote Originally Posted by Wood72 View Post
    Well, I go down to our trade post and remember I might have some mails I haven't read, so I open the postal service and waits.. "Retrieveing messages..." Oh, wow.. this takes a while.. I really have gotten THAT many??
    Mail disappears after 30 days now. If anyone left you mail you'll never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amabala View Post
    Sounds like your Preferences file isn't being saved.
    Might be, but mind; fresh install, very up to date rig..

Quote Originally Posted by Daynan View Post
    Your friends probably logged off. Right click on the tab and select Show Offline
    Nope, I get tells from them and a new opportunity to click their names in my friends list to add them again. Still gone, then next time I log on..

Quote Originally Posted by Daynan View Post
    Mail disappears after 30 days now. If anyone left you mail you'll never get it.
    Yeah, still it shouldn't hang on "retrieving messages"

But gents, thanks for trying to help here, but these are all bugs that were around when I was playing way back when. The dissapointing thing is that all these things are probably very small fixes which even very limited resources should be able to fix. :/

since not everyone has them its not that fast to fix, u would first have to find out which combination of events leads to them and that could take a really long time.

Community server just **** up periodically, meaning the game takes ages to show friendlist, guilds or minis.

I guess it's a "I'm back and sooooo happy" thread.

All the little bugs listed here are part of the game now, since none of them is major and everyone playing AoC quickly learn to deal with such little annoyance, they'll just stay around till the end.

So you can just quit and come back in 2 years from now and post the exact same thread, it'll be just as equally relevant and useless.

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    So you can just quit and come back in 2 years from now and post the exact same thread, it'll be just as equally relevant and useless.
    QFT!

@OP: Check out this video by Henryx, would AoC really be the same without those bugs?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvLK...UnCFM9zR-OFdTg

Also, here's some recent forum banter about your guild, sadly it was closed by mods
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=183554

Welcome back!
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    You mean approximately just as useless as your response here?

hmm... I wasn't even getting started on the community issues that have appeared yet..

I was here from prelaunch 2008 till 2011 and I've been apart of improving the game in various ways, also with posts on the forums like the one above. (Notice the distinct lack of whine, wtf's and omgfg's in my post.)

The difference between you and me is apparently that you easily lower yourself to other standards while I try to get them up to mine

But thanks, I'm enjoying it so far
    Last edited by Wood72; 30th August 2013 at 13:39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast