Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why MMO combat sucks!

Having many abilities has its perks actually. For instance you can compensate average movement with better comprehension of game mechanics and anticipation. I'm thinking of a barb of Fury that moved really well but still struggled when it came to "organising his fight" thus losing to people moving very slowly in comparaison.

But i disagree with the amount of dexterity needed. In PvE it mostly falls down to knowing the tactic, paying attention and being able to press forward and sprinting at the same time. Not to mention that these days for all encounters you have scripts warning you 15 seconds in advance when you'll need to sprint.

I think most heavy "dexterity" issue in this game are based on levelling. When people start the game, they bind things progressively and get use to them and when they arrive at level 80 they are stuck with terrible keybinds they don't have the will to change. Habits die hard...
    PvP wise if the sprint revamp made movement much more important than it use to be, before that you really didn't need to have good movement to be decent in PvP it was more about synchronisation with other players outside of 1vs1.

For the record i met two blokes with one hand on AoC. One was actually a pretty good PvP demo in his time, the other only discovered there was combos ingame after 6months though playing only conq and having been level 8O for 4months... so he doesn't count ^^
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

A really turn based MMO would probably be mind blowing boring - that's not a real suggestion, I tried to convey a thought: MMOs of this kind rely on a pretty weird mix of concepts. The speed of combat makes the reflexes, latency and rig issues so important, and the complexity is too much for many people to hassle with.

About the dextirity/quick decision making required: Think of how many people washed out of / quit the regular raid groups you attend due to "skill" issues. Higher tier challenges in these games are not suited for everyone.

Pretty much everyone gets the basic principles, but the "bigger, faster, stronger" problem in tier raiding / dungeons quickly shows people's limits. Some people don't get the mechanics, some people don't clicky-click fast enough.

Dealing with the mix problem might fix some of the fundamental problems.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

I think a combination between aoc combos and any other mmo's combat could be a success. First prss the attack, then you peform it by only pressing ONE button, like 123 or Q E. And with an active out of range tracker, dodging is easier, kiting and all this while combat would look really cool. Alternative is that you press the attack and peform the animation at the same time. Then you have to combine rank of low and high ranks of combos to survive.
    Boyscout bearshaman

Thumbs up

AOC for me is realy the best for mouving pvp + pve but you need good kheyboard and good mouse , when you later learn your rotation combo/spell and you take xp with your keyboard+mouse you can realy fun much , and this game is the best example !

AoC combat doesn't suck.
    at least in my point of view. it's like an hybrid between target+click (wow style) and action combat (tera for example) where you can actually hit depending on how you manage to pull the mob but you also need to target and smash buttons, moving arround, dodging, following the combo rotation but also looking for a weak spot on your enemies shields.
    before i knew AoC existed, i used to play DDO, action combat aswell but more "free" than the others, you could move while you swinging your sword and had only a few abilities to use with kind of long cooldowns, some of them where limited to a few per rest, so you had to managed them in order to succed in a dungeon, also, blocking with shield pressing shift was usefull... you would loose aggro but it seriously helped. i never tought i would find a game that would beat that kind of gameplay (for me at least) until i started to play AoC. ans since then i cannot play anything else, lol.

TL: DR, AoC has a great gameplay, better than any other MMO.
    meh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12