Thread: Polearm Guard Rotation

Thumbs up Polearm Guard Rotation

Hi Guys.
    Looking for a little help, started to play my Guard again after a while, as I have been hearing from a few raids I have been in while playing my other toons that some guards do “not” like to tank certain Bosses in the game i.e. Farty in T2 lol. Besides that I have always played S&B, but would like to try Polearm. I picked up a cheapish Polearm from a vendor and started practicing with it last night for a few hours and kinda liked it, but would like a few tips like a beginner’s rotation. Equipment wise I am Full T2 except for helm which is T1. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

When you engage a target : storm strike, guard, 2 ranks of flashing arc, counterweight if you use it (right after guard).
    Use guard only when you have aggro and need to refresh the buff from it.
    Then priority to counterweight if you use it, storm strike, highest rank of flashing arc, lower rank of flashing arc.

Some people prefer to use guard in priority instead of storm strike.
    Some also like to switch to sword and shield to use guard destroyer.

You can also have the highest rank of overreach in your castbar for shield management purpose (overreach finisher lands on the exact opposite side of flashing arc/counterweight one).

Thumbs up

Thank you for the info, I will try it out this evening.

Default rotation

I sometimes use disable after guard as it is fast and reckoning after it hits pretty solid,more then from flashing arc combos. I prefer counterweight to flashing it crits me more often and again reckoning is better with it. Storm strike is best combo you have nice aoe from reckoning after that one too. Not sure if the imba polearm tanks will agree.

1. Polearm guardian is like DT dps tank. So:
    1.1 Get few guard ranks, some enraging strike, brutal enraging wound - you need tools to move shields away from right side. You don't have so many magical procs that ignores shield like DT. If you keep spaming FFA on 3 shields your dps will be terrible so your aggro.
    1.2 More dps. If you tank with tier gear get at least dps accessories.
    1.3. Get proper build aka more dps. Sustained Rage, Master Pikeman, Disarming Aggresion, even Ardent Battle Cry and Vulcanic Rage - you want get them all.
    2. Never ever start with combo that can move shields to right. Disable is swift and with good dmg, so it seems to be nice combo to start with but just no.
    3. Bind Reckoning to some spammable keyboard or mouse button. No, you don't want to click it with mouse cursor. And you also don't want to wait with next combo before executing it. Keep spamming combos (use another combo starter when finisher animation from previous is going). Reckoning is ability so it can be used in when you are pressing white hits for next combo.
    4. Make your damage number HUGE, set ignoring outcoming damage at LOW or best at 0 and stare at them. CANCEL all combos that are hitting air. You don't want to see after 4sec animation that your combo was EVADED or MISSED because your hit rating sucks. So when you don't see damage numbers jump or Esc and start another one right away.
    Last edited by bogus; 23rd August 2013 at 10:14.
    Hayde, dead Dark Templar of Xotli
    and her long forgotten brotherhood: Berbelek Bookah Esthle Esthlos Illea Jamei Margrid Sanessa Shahai Sharila Vassone Vizu Xami

Thumbs up

Again thanks guys, I was playing on guard last night and noticed a big difference with all your help and suggestions. Just waiting for a BRC raid that needs a guard. I'll see if guild will run one. Might even do T1 just for fun to see how I do.

I have yet to find something I can't tank with my poledancing blonde hottie Guard in T1-t3 loot. Once you get the hang of it, can really control the battles, take aggro when you want .. hold it as long as you want then give it up.

Much more fun that S&S
    Last edited by Invino; 23rd August 2013 at 19:32.

Whats your spec vin?

I'm thinking of trying it out.