Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: WTH Happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Heck when I first started playing (in early 2010) YG was the site I visited to most to check the information about gear/quests/rewards. There was a class advocate system on the forums and even though it was a total failure overall, those advocate reports were useful pointers for me to learn more about classes I played.
    I even remember visiting Conanvault, though the author wasn't exactly a popular figure and had some really odd ideas (like using armour gems in the white slot on ToS...). But at least it had an up-to-date tooltips database.

But tbh I think this was in part owed to server population. On Hyrkania (and I guess it must have been the same on Blackscar), you quickly ran out of people to ask, because there simply weren't enough outstanding players around. For some classes, there were none at all.

The situation is very different on more populated servers - there's usually someone competent around who's willing to provide feedback on equipment and rotation, and from there it's only an issue of occasionally looking at a parser and you'll do well enough. Heck there's plenty of videos out there of clickers and keyboard turners doing T4. And I'm pretty sure that most people who can't even be bothered to bind their key abilities don't exactly spend hours on theorycraft.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

This actually turned into a much more interesting discussion than I thougth it would O.o

I consider myself a veteran (even though I took breaks) but I have played all classes and I would say I'm pretty good on the ones I enjoy.

I join raids & 6mans all the time simply because I enjoy them. I encounter everything that has been mentioned here. Some will ask me how I do it and I tell them as much as they want to know. Some will take the advice and improve or tell me that they don't enjoy it that way so they won't do it. "To each their own".
    Others will tell me I'm just ridiculous and it's all just the gear and no amount of trying to explain otherwise will change their opinion.

There are 3 things any newcomer should know:
    1) I will take a total scrub that is willing/eager to learn over a geard idiot any day of the week! People blow gear requirements out of proportion. (except high end raids)
    2) If you want to know something ASK! Most people I know are more than happy to share what they know.
    Ask->Listen->Implement. It's that simple.
    3) Don't be lazy! Read if someone sends you a link. Just because I'm giving you information doesn't mean I'm going to spoon-feed you everything.
    Pontuz - HoX
    Ponthus - Demo
    Pondtus - DT
    + plenty of alts like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfisterbotm View Post
    omg

The assumption that no one is their to help them is just ridiculous.

I haven't been around any player in the game who was good, who wouldn't give helpful advice. I learned allot of my class's from other players, asking them for advice myself.

Thus, if they truly want help, it's easy to obtain. The problem is they don't want help.
    Steam brings in more bad than good. Count we are on a PvE server which the majority of players play on because they do not like open world PvP, and that because T1 are open to F2P you have a bunch of weirdo's running them...there is not much support going for a totally new player on Set when you take all that into account. Very few will see pass this trash and want to do better and move on to a real guild or pay for a sub...

I'll help someone I see trying in minis, but for the most part some random f2p player asking me if Thunderclap is good for pvp I mostly ignore...
    Last edited by Suctum; 20th August 2013 at 09:17.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pondtus View Post
    This actually turned into a much more interesting discussion than I thougth it would O.o

I consider myself a veteran (even though I took breaks) but I have played all classes and I would say I'm pretty good on the ones I enjoy.

I join raids & 6mans all the time simply because I enjoy them. I encounter everything that has been mentioned here. Some will ask me how I do it and I tell them as much as they want to know. Some will take the advice and improve or tell me that they don't enjoy it that way so they won't do it. "To each their own".
    Others will tell me I'm just ridiculous and it's all just the gear and no amount of trying to explain otherwise will change their opinion.

There are 3 things any newcomer should know:
    1) I will take a total scrub that is willing/eager to learn over a geard idiot any day of the week! People blow gear requirements out of proportion. (except high end raids)
    2) If you want to know something ASK! Most people I know are more than happy to share what they know.
    Ask->Listen->Implement. It's that simple.
    3) Don't be lazy! Read if someone sends you a link. Just because I'm giving you information doesn't mean I'm going to spoon-feed you everything.
    Basically this.

For the people that ask I will go out of my way to help. Most people would rather complain and blame something like gear rather than their gross lack of competence.

please, someone could tell me if SchoUBL is still recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfisterbotm View Post
    As the title states, WTH happened?

The SET server has seen an influx of bad players, and or players who just even try. Making this situation even worse are raid leaders who don't even correct the bad things during the raid. And even then, some of these raid leaders are just bad players themselves.

I'm not saying that new players in general are bad, or that they need to be scrutinized for learning the game.

I'm simply saying that the players who are fully decked out in gear, played the game for X years, or have numerous lvl 80's, should learn the very basics of their class's. STOP coming up with excuses as to why the tank who had 5 min to hit the boss lost aggro to a barb doing his job and killing it.

Also, raid leaders. If your strats to get past a boss is to purposely die, and depend on 4 conq rezes to get past it, you may want to rethink the reasoning on why you are leading raids in the first place. "Yes, I'm referring to T2 raid wing 3". This content has been out for years now, and your literally making it worse. How on earth you could have managed this, I don't know. But you did!

And before you blame me for attacking the "casual" player. Let me say this, casual players can casually learn the game and not be complete fail at the same time. If you are learning the basics of your class's, you can learn solo, or in small old world content. If your loosing aggro then, or your dps sucks, etc, you can rest assure that you will be a WASTE during a raid too.

It's pathetic that I or anyone else has to swap to a tank class in order for a raid to progress, especially when their are a full group of tanks already. I wouldn't make such a huge deal of this if these progressions aren't in T2 of all things. T2 raids shouldn't be such a big deal for people to get through them.

Anyway, I'm sure their will be alot of QQ followers after this post. And I'm sure I'm going to be getting hate mail from these scrubs whining for calling them out during raids. I just can't wait for the server mergers so that I can kick players who aren't pulling their weight. That and the fact that T2 raids will "hopefully" be a thing of the past as far as pugs are concerned.

Thank god!
    I agree and I <3 Schou

The last PUG W1 that you ran was great,easy,fast and people listened which is how raids should be.

The POM in that W1 you kicked from raid before the last boss but it was appropriate I believe because he just wasnt listening.

How many times can you say?

Get in hide with the other 23 players? - this is a clear sentence that anyone with a basic understanding of the English language will comprehend.

If you don't understand it, your holding up 23 other players time that are in fact listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugglenugget View Post
    I agree and I <3 Schou

The last PUG W1 that you ran was great,easy,fast and people listened which is how raids should be.

The POM in that W1 you kicked from raid before the last boss but it was appropriate I believe because he just wasnt listening.

How many times can you say?

Get in hide with the other 23 players? - this is a clear sentence that anyone with a basic understanding of the English language will comprehend.

If you don't understand it, your holding up 23 other players time that are in fact listening.
    People still go into hide for this fight?

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    People still go into hide for this fight?
    Only had 17 people, and I was solo healing 16 other people after he kicked that Pom Lol.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I'm willing to help out new players, but when someone asks in NPH what factions are, I'm going to post a link to the newcomers section of the AOC forums with a thread on factions vs trying to type out what he needs to do.

There is a lot of info on these forums, even with the merge: I'd recommend that players aim the newbies at these things and then see if they have questions on how to play their class or whatever.

Not that all the info is correct, but it IS a start.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456