Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what's gaute doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Religolibri View Post
    I would love to hear him now talking about Age of Conan. What happened and what he think of it now.
    /signed.

The original AoC that they pitched pre-launch was epic. To this day, even after years of layering on more traditional content and with few players remaining who remember the prelaunch days, I still think the game coasts on those expectations. E.g., when your amazingly animated, nude bear shaman just decapped five Picts in a beautifully detailed jungle at the behest of a fully voiced NPC, it's tough not to hear terms like "siege" and "guild cities" and "FFA PVP" in chat without your mind wandering to the possibilities. They did swing big, and one has to wonder if, for all the disappointment of 2008-2009, it still wasn't worth the try.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Many people seem to be forgetting in what state Age of Conan was when it was launched. It was totally horrible and a lot worse than nowaday games are in Beta stage. I dont know what went on behind scene but Gaute is at least partly responsible of one of the biggest **** ups in MMO history launches and followed by a major/fatal stock market drop. Which leads to the point were we are now with AoC ...struggling to get alittle content and fixes with micro organization who are trying to hold together 3 games...
    If he really is a shrink now i really hope he isnt ****ing up peoples mind like he did with AoC.. might have more serious fatal concicuenses.
    Last edited by SelfRez; 5th August 2013 at 11:50.

One of the biggest reasons AoC flopped at launch was due to the fact that investors didn't want to wait anymore and they couldn't finish the game.

Should've been released over a year later, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post
    One of the biggest reasons AoC flopped at launch was due to the fact that investors didn't want to wait anymore and they couldn't finish the game.

Should've been released over a year later, imo.
    Yeah they should have delayed the release even more, it may have annoyed some people but at least it wouldn't have been such a mess. If game had been released in its 2009 state or so, it would have kept a lot more players I'm sure.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

I joined the game just before the first (epic) anniversary and I only have good memories about Age of Conan.
    I don't know if it'a good or bad thing that I missed the first year, but I still would like to know how it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Religolibri View Post
    I joined the game just before the first (epic) anniversary and I only have good memories about Age of Conan.
    I don't know if it'a good or bad thing that I missed the first year, but I still would like to know how it was like.
    I had the game at launch and could not play it on my PC at the time. Then the anniversary reminded me when I had a new PC.

There are still GooTube videos of old AoC and can dig up some pre-release articles and beta info. Was going to be much more complicated, way more classes and PvP with 200 man sieges. And ofc fully voiced all the way through (like TSW is now).

It needed another $100mil and 2 years at least for anything like it was imagined, without the benefit of the Dreamworld engine. Needless to say .. it was years ahead of its time, now would be great to release the original AoC design, PCs can handle it.

AoC 2 would be awesome. Anyone asking for major changes to AoC is crazy; nobody is going to invest in a 5-year old game, and nobody would write articles about it, and so nobody would buy it. But a relaunch could do all that. Anyone who has ever followed the game -- and many, many people did up through launch -- knows that what crippled the game had nothing to do with the basic concepts (low fantasy, mature, Conan IP, challenging combat, FFA PVP, etc.). Relaunch AoC with the perennially bugged content removed for fixed, with a flattened progression system and full voice, and it could compete.

Although personally, I think relaunching the game as two separate products -- same setting, but unique systems, one simplified (fewer classes?) for balance and PVP only, and one progression-focused and complex and pure PVE -- would solve a ton of balance and content problems.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Mr. Godager agreed to interview.

Post your questions here and I will pick few good ones.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Mr. Godager agreed to interview.

Post your questions here and I will pick few good ones.
    Now this is going to be fascinating...

1. When do you think would have been the correct time to release Age of Conan?

2. Have you played Age of Conan after you left ?

3. If you would hadnt had no pressure of releasing the game back at 2008, what would you liked to implement to the game?

4. What were the classes that were left out from the game ? I have heard talk about Lich at least.

5. What do you consider was the biggest success you made in AoC and what was the biggest mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12