Thread: Impossible to cast point blank?

Default Impossible to cast point blank?

I'm a new player and new 80.

Is it possible to cast anything over a 0.5s spell on a melee class when they are up in your face? It seems that they are just able to sprint zig-zag to force cancelling it (regardless of how fast I right-mouse pan).

I've been a competitive pvper for 10 years and exclusively mouse-turn + keybind. So the issue isn't me slooooowly trying to keyboard turn to keep facing them.

Should I just expect to never cast when a meleer gets close?

One thing that works pretty well against most players if you have for various reasons to do hit one of those spells is to face them just at the end of your cast. You start it, let them go in your back and turn back instantly at the very end of your cast.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Pigglesworth View Post
    I'm a new player and new 80.

Is it possible to cast anything over a 0.5s spell on a melee class when they are up in your face? It seems that they are just able to sprint zig-zag to force cancelling it (regardless of how fast I right-mouse pan).

I've been a competitive pvper for 10 years and exclusively mouse-turn + keybind. So the issue isn't me slooooowly trying to keyboard turn to keep facing them.

Should I just expect to never cast when a meleer gets close?
    Many melee classes have speed boosts which when combine with latency can give them the appearance of being everywhere or porting.

For the most part you don't want any melee within 5 meters of you, guards I'd say 8+ meters. I have been playing a caster for years and never experienced this problem.

My guess would be they are just moving out of your los cone right at the last second, sometimes how fast you can turn doesn't matter when they have a 20-30% speed boost on. Barbs for example, can spec arcane marauder, which when a spell crits they get a big speed boost, while they already have a possible 5% through AA, if you got a demo or necro nuking them they pretty much will have that up all game. Sin's got accelerate...ect...
    Doomsayer 2008