Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: @ devs, ranger tweaking

Having combos means no LoS check or it would be hardly playable. Or you'd need to shorten most animation but then again, rangers and combos was always awkward. For example, if you had started salvo on a guy, who breaked LoS before you could start second white hit, you coulddn't fire the second white to keep the combo going before landing the finisher when you retrieved line of sight, like melee would do.

And come on, ranger was never "balanced", it always was the class noobs like me rolled during the first year because it was easy to kill better players with minimum risks.

Other tweaks to make the class more versatile would be great though. Bow and cross bow had their diffrences and that was really good. Now nevermind what you spec it's gonna be the same combos and the same tools you're going to use with very little diffrence.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sageman72 View Post
    by far the most un-needed and ridiculous revamp ever done in this game, used to be one of the best balanced classes of all until the devs decided to "make the class more interesting"...blo0dy mor0ns..

Only thing the class needed was the line of sight check, thats it.
    They did fix the line of site. And as for linebreaker not having it, I just tested and it is also LoS. I like the changes, it makes more sense. I also played pre changes, and liked it then too.

I also liked all 6 star wars movies, because I can look past trying to compare everything and just enjoy it for what it is.

it was balanced in the sense of 'easy to play, hard to master'. The good ones was a pain to take down, the bad ones was at least somewhat easy kill, just the way it should be.

The LOS that was added at the end of the animation was the only change needed, the one put in after they turned ranger into a caster class.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehl View Post
    Having combos means no LoS check or it would be hardly playable. Or you'd need to shorten most animation but then again, rangers and combos was always awkward. For example, if you had started salvo on a guy, who breaked LoS before you could start second white hit, you coulddn't fire the second white to keep the combo going before landing the finisher when you retrieved line of sight, like melee would do.

And come on, ranger was never "balanced", it always was the class noobs like me rolled during the first year because it was easy to kill better players with minimum risks.

Other tweaks to make the class more versatile would be great though. Bow and cross bow had their diffrences and that was really good. Now nevermind what you spec it's gonna be the same combos and the same tools you're going to use with very little diffrence.
    About combos...have you ever played mount and blade and how ranged combat works there? I think i posted it on TL years ago already, how it might have worked in AoC:
    One mouse button for drawing the arrow (ranger goes in aiming anim), then a timer depending on the combo for "ideal" execution and when the mouse is released, the arrow is released as well ( one line of sight check at that time). Depending on the combo and how far away you are from the "ideal" execution time there could be penalties to hit and damage (or buffs).
    Sadly with the additional gift of latency, this makes no sense anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sageman72 View Post
    by far the most un-needed and ridiculous revamp ever done in this game, used to be one of the best balanced classes of all until the devs decided to "make the class more interesting"...blo0dy mor0ns..

Only thing the class needed was the line of sight check, thats it.
    Totally a everything used to be better whine.

Prerevamp ranger was better in regards to bow and xbow being to different play style. Xbow was op and bow underpowered. Bow was nice animations but it was salvo, salvo,salvo. Stances where boring and useless. U never switched. Combos are overrated compared to buff combos.
    Xbow was fun when you could align penshots 24/7 but pretty Op in the hands of a good player.
    I wouldnt mind getting two different playstyles back but realistically it won't happen.

Don't know what to think about all this.

The things I'm a bit sad is that a bad ranger can always be "something" in the battlefield just playing with linebreaker.
    Those guys just never switch to melee and they still manage to do lots of damage and survive.

That's one thing.
    But, since revamp, the gameplay is a lot more interesting if you use melee. That's because it's faster to do white hits with swords.
    Maybe funcom should start by finally add the option (in-game) to switch weapon and combo bar at the same time, without the need of autohotykey or something like that.

Otherwise I'm a bit scared of differences between bow and xbow. The style that could suit me better may be the visual one I don't like at all (xbow).

And I beg you to leave the traps instant. How would I survive when focus by someone at close range if I need to stay still for a second to root them ? It's fair enough like it is.
    Last edited by Religolibri; 15th July 2013 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
    They did fix the line of site. And as for linebreaker not having it, I just tested and it is also LoS. I like the changes, it makes more sense. I also played pre changes, and liked it then too.

I also liked all 6 star wars movies, because I can look past trying to compare everything and just enjoy it for what it is.
    Rangers can't shoot you through walls anymore, but if you circle strafe them as long as you were in front of them when they began the cast even if your behind them at the end it hit's you anyways, unless you can make it to a wall to block it.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Religolibri View Post
    But, since revamp, the gameplay is a lot more interesting if you use melee. That's because it's faster to do white hits with swords.
    Maybe funcom should start by finally add the option (in-game) to switch weapon and combo bar at the same time, without the need of autohotykey or something like that.

Otherwise I'm a bit scared of differences between bow and xbow. The style that could suit me better may be the visual one I don't like at all (xbow).

And I beg you to leave the traps instant. How would I survive when focus by someone at close range if I need to stay still for a second to root them ? It's fair enough like it is.
    I don't think the white hits are an improvement to the old system. I would have prefered a whole working set of melee combos (from fast to longer rooting) each with own animations (the tortage combos offer a good variety already). The whole idea of white hit - standard anim (standard sound) gives me just the creeps.

The second part is a really, really good idea though! They could for example reserve execute it like reserving the first 2 action bars (the ones you now change with shift+number or mouse wheel) for that (primary, secondary weapon) and go on alternating (e.g. dividing the 10 bars into 5 pairs). Then, if "weapon change key" is pressed, the weapon switches and the actionbar to the according partner as well (from 1 to 2 and vice versa or if action bar 4 was active action bar 3 would be swapped).

With the third part i see no problem as long as the effect is instant. I'd rather select to place my traps with instant effect (e.g. really protecting me from charge like in 2009 etc.) strategically with cast time and for melee defense use my melee combos, than the way it works now.

what if:
    holding down right mouse button after choosing your type of atack would open a zoom in aim and releasing button would release arrow, with penetration being granted by amount of time taken to hold arrow fully pulled back.

as much i use to love the way combos integrated to a ranged class in ranger case combos or current combat system dont bring any immersion factor to using bow/crossbow.

full mobility keybinds to select type of atack, mouse to release/empower atack and no auto targeting crap

and combos should be like all other melee combos in aoc with combo steps, current advantage system negates aoc combat system completly, and its reason why so many ranger mains left game or rerolled to diff class, ranger with no combos isnt fun to play.

no diff bettewen bow/xbow is just meh...
    no worthy lvl80 combos unique to ranger wich use aoc "normal" combat system meh...
    its extremely lame ass only the tortage melee combos retained the combo system

a bit off topic,
    .but who wouldnt like to see all tortage combos reabilitated to place minor miss chance and reduced immunity+evande on target?

.who wouldnt like to have fps view improved integrating mouse to control power of arrow/thrown weapon/spell?

.who wouldnt want to maybe have tortage combos revamped to be thrown weapon combos for all classes to have use of both thrown weapons+tortage combos?

.who wouldnt want to have ranger a fun to play class and not this lame retardedly op boring class where combo system is non existent nulity...
    Last edited by noite80; 15th July 2013 at 13:41.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    Rangers can't shoot you through walls anymore, but if you circle strafe them as long as you were in front of them when they began the cast even if your behind them at the end it hit's you anyways, unless you can make it to a wall to block it.
    Yes, but rangers have a 90° hit cône while casters have 180°.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast