Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Solo Raid

Okay, let's assume Funcom could add a solo raid that drops 8 T4 relics. What should that solo raid be like to equate to doing T4?

First, it should be of such difficulty that the player likely dies on the first boss for a good three months before he has the strat down to defeat it.

Second, the rest of the bosses would not be hard to defeat, but would need items to click, AA feats learned (and used at the appropriate time or else the player will die), additional gear sets and feat specs to switch into, or be timed with a guaranteed fail if not defeated before the timer ran out.

Third, it should take a solo player a solid 4 hours time (probably more) to progress through the entire instance.

Fourth, while one can get 8 relics by completing the instance, chances for gear drops and dragon tears should be low - certainly no more than a 5% chance of gaining a useful piece of gear or dragon tear.

That might be a fair way to have a solo instance provide T4 gear to someone who doesn't do T4 raiding. Otherwise, players will just do the solo instance and filling T4 raids will become problematic.
    Last edited by Amabala; 1st July 2013 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponya View Post
    Out off subjet, and not even mentioned.
    Lot of people join hm group or raid witout even knowing tactics.
    What about people pulling aggro up to die (and several time) ?

If most of people does, People won't ask for "exp" people. 10 min is enought to explain tactics on usual 6 men instances.
    You learn throught others experiences. and playing an mmo alone,
    maybe people should reconsider it.

I didn't say that, restrict people from getting epic khitai without at least make a logical progression which is Tiers or even Normal mode to learn tactics.

If you want make aoc more casual a mild version as kurt explained would fit with less damage to the lifespan of this game.

Maybe we should rollback/reset T4 gears ?
    (hurt me, knowing the time I invested to get some T4 gears)
    New players cant know tactics. Get a better tank?

Diff players hav diff playstyles.

Thats what u said. Giving a handful of guilds power to decide who gets khitai gear or who does not.

1 T4 minor piece = 40 T4 tokens
    With 8 Tokens per week = 5 weeks
    5*5= 25
    25 weeks for all T4 minor pieces

THey could adjust the price of Dragon Tear and put a scripted gear check to decide who enters the dungeon like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Amabala View Post
    Okay, let's assume Funcom could add a solo raid that drops 8 T4 relics. What should that solo raid be like to equate to doing T4?

[...]
    and it should reset once a week, like a proper raid, not every day...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    and it should reset once a week, like a proper raid, not every day...
    Agree, but as Doomkiller stated that in his original post, I didn't think it necessary to include.

Quote Originally Posted by Amabala View Post

First, it should be of such difficulty that the player likely dies on the first boss for a good three months before he has the strat down to defeat it.

Second, the rest of the bosses would not be hard to defeat, but would need items to click, AA feats learned (and used at the appropriate time or else the player will die), additional gear sets and feat specs to switch into, or be timed with a guaranteed fail if not defeated before the timer ran out.

Third, it should take a solo player a solid 4 hours time (probably more) to progress through the entire instance.

Fourth, while one can get 8 relics by completing the instance, chances for gear drops and dragon tears should be low - certainly no more than a 5% chance of gaining a useful piece of gear or dragon tear.

That might be a fair way to have a solo instance provide T4 gear to someone who doesn't do T4 raiding. Otherwise, players will just do the solo instance and filling T4 raids will become problematic.
    A scripted gear check to decide who enters the dungeon based on item level.

Strats r easy to figure out in solo play.

Most solo dungeons require AAs

I would welcome a solo dungeon with 4 hr crawl.

0% chance for item drops. Dragon tear and weapons and accessories should b purchasable from a NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomkiller View Post
    Strats r easy to figure out in solo play.
    True enough for old world and K6s. But if a solo dungeon drops T4 relics, then one should experience the same level of learning curve that one faces in a raid.

Dragon tear and weapons and accessories should b purchasable from a NPC.
    I would agree (and have posted as much) that raid weapons should be purchasable with relics at a fairly high relic cost. I however don't agree that Dragon Tears (or other rares/rare relics) should be bought from NPCs - even at a VERY high exchange rate. Some things should be hard to get. If one can't/won't run raids or k6s to get rare relics/rares then one must simply go without.

Here is my problem with too much "difficult and challenging" solo instances (and such a 8 token t4 solo instance probably will be one of those):

Right now without exploiting you need 30 mins or more so for Isle of Iron statues, unless you are a bubble tank with selfress who can ignore the mobs there.
    On the pro side, it allows me to get a nice side bonus of rare tokens, during times there is no group content. Also after you figured out the tactics and are past the "gear gap" you can pretty much "count" on tokens.
    On the con side, during this 30 mins i am practically out of the game and unavailable for groups (nm or hm). It happened often enough i saw ads for nm groups just when about in the middle or close to the end boss (thanks to murphy). Also if the instance is exploitable or easy for some classes AND there is a high grind factor for the tokens (price policy), certain classes and people will always prefer solo grind over group grind...meaning they are even more out of the game and unavailable for group instances.

Another con side is, that too much "scripted/predefined" fights in solo instances tend to be not balanced class wise. Add some more randomness to solo instances and tough ccable mobs and bosses and that balance problem will be solved though.

This is not solely a solo vs group player thing, because many solo grinders do this, to get the fastest way to end content and if the game design favours solo over group gameplay or it is encouraged guildwise, who are you to blame them?

Solo instances are a nice alternative and it is a good thing they are there, but you need the see the whole progression. AoC lacks a bit of flexibility in terms of time invested/tokens gained ratio and content for smaller groups, that could work perfect as middle ground for solo AND raids.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 1st July 2013 at 16:41.

Its just not possible to design a single solo instances which is hard enough for all classes to give away t4

not even mentioning the different stages of equip a class has.

idk about u guys but on mitra are even pug t4 raids who are doing just fine! (believe a guy called Stahlmauer cleans 1-3 every week depending on setup and who actualy is in the raid even 4&5th boss) most "big" raiding guilds are looking for people to increase their roster.
    so...just go t4 if u want to get t4 gear

If you don't do T4, then you don't get T4 loot.

If you don't pvp, then you don't get pvp loot.

If you solo, you get solo loot.

Sounds simple enough for me!
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Yes, and valid...unless grind and timesink game design is involved.
    As a circumvention and adhering to your "rules", you could have a prerequisite after a successful T1,2,3,4,x questwise to "unlock" this solo content. This would also make "balancing" of the solo instances a lot easier, since you can design them with tier x-1 gear in mind and assuming the solo players have that available.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 1st July 2013 at 20:45.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast