Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Fixing DT stats

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    I really don't think you have any DTs in your guild bringing the desecration/gen build that is pumping out the crazy dps numbers while having 55%+ mitigation.
    True, we don't.

I have such a build for egomaniac reasons, but due to not having tank related feats from Depravity, I have never used it in a raid with a purpose of tanking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    True, we don't.

I have such a build for egomaniac reasons, but due to not having tank related feats from Depravity, I have never used it in a raid with a purpose of tanking anything.
    I don't see why it has to be ego maniac reasons. I solo tank basically all k6 with a desecration/gen spec (first five in depravity) much easier and with more dps than a dread/tali spec, dread/heavy desecration spec, or even a tribrid tank spec.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

@ Buyten :

Yes I pretty much always poletank but I never complained about lacking aggro vs DTs or Conqs though (since I personally don't lack aggro unless playing with really competent tanks that have far superior gear to mine - that would be t3 crafted/t4 weapons + major t4 pieces) all that I and the others were pointing out is how DT is not only a perfectly functional tank (sure, there are encounters where it may feel lacking in aggro) but also a top damage dealer and top self-healer. I don't really know what more to say, I'm not saying other tank classes are useless, but certainly melee dps classes tend to become obsolete when DTs and Conqs can beat them at their own job (and DTs can do so while tanking, may I say "lol" ?).

I can solo tank lots of stuff on my pole-guard too tbh (although I won't say I never kite or so and usually when I'm solo tanking it's because the other tank(s) are weak/dead), but that just means my group/raid has really good dps (and that the healers time their heal bursts properly ofc). However I am certainly not anywhere near the top of the parses when I do that

And I don't really see what's wrong with polearm since you don't lose much if any survivability (you lose Juggernaut, sure, but you got Defiance instead, you lose a shield, sure, but you got Guard which +10% armour etc.) while doing pretty similar aggro but quite a bit more dps (very far from conqs and dts, true, but who cares?+200-300 dps is still quite nice to have, is it not?)

And think about this : when I'm not solo tanking and the other tank is doing fine I can just go frenzy and do 1k+ dps (in tank gear and tank spec, yes) and just use goad and switch back to def stance when he needs help. Makes a CRAZY difference in something like Tian-An.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Would be interested to know whether in pro raid groups, DTs also are "completely OP" in a fight like Emperor.
    No, they are not OP on the Emperor fight, but in most t3 and up encounters, they are, just as they are in virtually every K6 encounter.

Can my necro please get heavy/plate armor, 15k hp, 55% mit so I can also tank and do dps?

I'm sure the other dps classes would like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    No, they are not OP on the Emperor fight, but in most t3 and up encounters, they are, just as they are in virtually every K6 encounter.
    Now why am I not surprised. I also have the weird idea that DT may not be OP, e.g., in the second phase of the Sepulcher fight (example of a boss hitting too hard to solotank).

I.e., the more trivial the fight (from a tank's perspective), the more OP DT becomes.
    * Some encounters are trivial to start with (tanking Zodiac) so DT has the edge there.
    * Some encounters are not trivial to start with, but become trivial due to nerfs and / or because better gear allows people to ignore some of the mechanics (true for many Khitai dungeons).
    * Also bear in mind that DTs without T4 gear face a significant trade-off between DPS/aggro and survivability on magic bosses.

So yes, DTs put out crazy dps while tanking in certain situations. And yes, these situations get more frequent the more control the group has over the encounter, and the better the DT's gear is.

But I guess I still fail to see why, from a pure PvE perspective, this is such a huge issue.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

dts are pretty fine for both due to dread shadow... they are in no way underpowered for both of those fights

why its an issue? because u have 12 less usefull slots in a raid, u need like 3 tanks,3heals,1rouge,1mage and rest dd for most encounters (including raids) due to grp buffs lets take some more rouges and mages but the other 12 slots would best be filled with conqs and dts and thats just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Now why am I not surprised. I also have the weird idea that DT may not be OP, e.g., in the second phase of the Sepulcher fight (example of a boss hitting too hard to solotank).
    DTs are the ideal tank for that boss. No class can solo tank it, but 2 dts make the fight as easy as ROF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    DTs are the ideal tank for that boss. No class can solo tank it, but 2 dts make the fight as easy as ROF.
    Agreed and the same can be said of many instances tbh.

And I dunno, from a healer pov I also find DTs easier to keep alive (probably because they don't really have much less damage mitigation than other tanks while at the same time they have non-negligible self healing that stacks with my heals)

...but that could also just be because I often play with good DTs and rarely with good Conqs or Guards (you know, timing your defensive abilities like cunning deflection etc is actually something few tanks do properly).
    Last edited by kalston; 24th June 2013 at 21:33.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Can my necro please get heavy/plate armor, 15k hp, 55% mit so I can also tank and do dps?

I'm sure the other dps classes would like that as well.
    You forgot being able to heal at (up to ) 550 hp/s... lol.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast