Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual wield ranger!

Question Dual wield ranger!

Is it even possible nowadays to dual wield as a ranger?
    I ask because i have a friend who wants to pve and pvp as a melee ranger with 2 weapons.

Now problem is next: I also have a ranger but my offhand rating is 0 and i can't find anything in feats/AA which could improve it like i have with barbarian. Other then that i also can't find more then 1-2 feats which directly influence melee combos.

How can ranger as class duel wield with 0 offhand rating? Or how to boost OFH. rating?

It would be nice if some rangers (or people who know that class) post some speccs/builds.

Thanks!

first of all, i'm almost sure you can only use dagges as second weapon...
    second, i got a sin t2 dagger (the silent knell) some time ago, and i tried to use it instead of the shield, but as far as i remember, the dps difference was not really noticeable, and i also missed shield bash, that is one of the best melee cc's you have...

if i remember, misi has been playing a melee ranger for some time, maybe he has more info about it...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    Is it even possible nowadays to dual wield as a ranger?
    I ask because i have a friend who wants to pve and pvp as a melee ranger with 2 weapons.

Now problem is next: I also have a ranger but my offhand rating is 0 and i can't find anything in feats/AA which could improve it like i have with barbarian. Other then that i also can't find more then 1-2 feats which directly influence melee combos.

How can ranger as class duel wield with 0 offhand rating? Or how to boost OFH. rating?

It would be nice if some rangers (or people who know that class) post some speccs/builds.

Thanks!
    I have been mentioning this in the old suggestion thread on the open and on TL forums, as well as opened a (now rather old) thread in the ranger section there

Back in 2009 i don't remember rangers having 0 offhand rating, so i count this amongst the many "gifts" coming from the chaos revamp. If you want, sign the petition for at least some OP 10% offhand rating (even for that "suggestion" i got flamed and questioned, btw). As it is, you only benefit from the stats, but not from many offhand attacks (direct dps). This ranger style was probably intentionally "forgotten" and neglected, since "no one" seemed to use it (at least from the important people).

So far as melee ranger it is nice to have some points in the general tree. I also fear the "immolation" melee fear combo is as useless and bugged as the ranged "incendiary shot" (actually gives mobs a speed buff and bugs them). What is a nice to have for melees is the cooldown reduction (one or two points are enough there though).

If you go dualwield, your friend should try to get the ranger sword using dex and a good dagger with offhand rating (since this will probably be the best you can get).

Also you should try and feat +% speed and use according gear, since without shield bash, you will need to root and get away and kite a lot.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 21st June 2013 at 19:53.

Certainly a player should play in the way they think is fun. I'd allow that a dual wield ranger would be a tremendous challenge that if successful should fill a player with pride.

But on the negative side, there are three classes that dual wield far better than a ranger (Conq, Barb and Sin) that wouldn't be choosing to forego their strongest attack in favor of weapons used rarely.

Would a Bear Shaman relying on a bow or a HoX using tali and dagger be a fun challenge? Maybe. Would they be successful. Perhaps. Would they be welcome in groups and raids? Doubtful. Would they be frustrating in solo play and slow to level? Probably.

DW ranger misses just a few things to make playing somewhat fun - they're called combos.

99% of the time you'll be just pressing up->down->ds2, the rest is just watching cooldowns on traps and advantages. You can use Pitch Pot, but it's ridiculously weak (hits like 3 times for ~100) for such long cooldown.

There's no way to make a reasonable build, you will have to basically buy everything that doesn't directly boost ranged attacks (because even crappy chance to evade will be better for you).

It's definitely more fun than normal ranger (which is retarded), though using one combe gets kinda boring.

Dps is not that bad - sometimes I'm even 12 on a lazy alt BRC. You could probably top the charts on a lame PUG if you would have T4 gear

Dual wield ranger!

If you feat rapid stabs 3/3 and have the vagashaan dex based 1HE it makes the CD on deft stabs almost instant which will give you a leg up on most classes but the fact that you'r only going to hit for about 700 every 3 seconds give or take a critical strike is only going to put your dps at about 500 at most end game mobs

My arguesment would be if you feat master trapper and both marked target's 5/5 whilst using focused fire your only going to buff to 280% damage

A high dex dagger in your offhand could potentially be useful but With no offhand bonus' you'd have to try barb or sin gear and even then your offhand bonus is only a chance on the; up arrow, down arrow buff because offhand does not proc with deft stabs. So idealy you should go with hyrkanian but since you wanna be difficult and dual wield you MAY get a SMALL bonus in dps with offhand gear stats

Immolation, shield bash, all your traps, general tree for CC breaks and excellent balance, get your evasive action and concusive blast maxed and put 3 into exhausting traps and swift strides

I'm assuming this would be a solo/pvp build

Quote Originally Posted by sgtMassDozer View Post
    If you feat rapid stabs 3/3 and have the vagashaan dex based 1HE it makes the CD on deft stabs almost instant
    CD on Deft Stabs is exactly as long as getting upper and lower bonuses, which both increase damage. Getting the extra combo rank is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtMassDozer View Post
    is only going to put your dps at about 500 at most end game mobs
    With good gear it will be way above 1000dps - in SoJ blues and T2 pick-axe I had ~900 on strawman.

Wink

Thank you for your suggestions guys, we will try this out, once again thanks for your time!

I was always poking my head around why nobody is using melee rangers, its more fun instead of WoW based combat...YuuShh!

you can try something like this as "melee dps spec"...

some notes:
    - i didn't pick "shield bash", 'cos you said you want to play dual wield
    - i don't remember the stamina cost of deft stabs, and i have no idea if spamming it will be doable. probably yes, but in case it's not, move the 3 points from "sthealty strikes" to "vigor"
    - "swift stride" is just to get to the target faster. maybe "shred armor" could be better, but as melee ranger i would get all the mobility i could.

but as evito said, the things to do are just use up and down attacks and deft stabs, keep the master trapper buff up all the time, use advantages and "marked" abilities whenever off cd...

well... now that i think about it, it's not so much different from what a "normal" ranger does, since the best dps rotation is just to spam buffed deadly draw and pen shot, the rest is the same...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast