Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lag Spikes

Default Lag Spikes

Ahoy!

It's my turn to complain about lag issues.

Since the server moves, I've usually got a latency of 200 to 300 ms. That's not great, but acceptable for a PvE player like me.

Yesterday, our raid had its second real try on the Entity in T4. It failed miserably.

Because we didn't know the tactics? No.
    Because we cannot develop enough damage? No.
    Because we are a bunch of keyboard turners that cannot avoid a green, yellow or pink light of ultimate doom? No.

Because several of our players had lags of several seconds. The visual output at the client lagged up to several minutes behind what was happening on the server.

In one try, I heard the "go" command via Teamspeak, didn't see anyone else move, started one cast, stared at the frozen cast bar for some minutes, and lay dead at the entrance door.

Hell, I watched a youtube video showing the encounter to at least have an idea what the other were looking at.

There was no apparent reason for this. The players affected had different internet providers, lived in different cities, had different rigs. I tested the ping to the AoC server from the command line and got the usual 270 ms, whereas in the AoC window, the display showed a latency of > 5 seconds.

I turned down all video options, disabled sound, to no avail. Restarting the client apparently bettered the situation a little bit, but that doesn't make much sense and may have been a coincidence.

I made a video of our last attempt. Sadly, that was the one with the least latency problems, but it should still give an impression on playability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgBv...=ULWgWJr_x3NjM

This needs to be fixed. Soon. Please. Events like this are poison even to the very determined raid groups.

I suspect (and fear) that there are substantial issues with the networking code server-side (as in, working with clients with non-trivial latency or something like that in combination with server timing for things like boss abilities), and Funcom has no idea how to fix it without breaking the game further.

It is quite obvious (or at least, it should be) ... that latency (client-server-client round trip time) and server lag (the server is unable to process and give responses to clients fast enough) are two different issues entirely. Both are a problem, but server lag could potentially be addressed (networking code rewrite, or optimization of business logic in the server), unlike latency (which is a location problem).

"This is going to get worse before it gets better"
    Last edited by Petridish; 19th June 2013 at 03:40.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Last night I was kicked from server no less than 6 times in about a half hour period. Experienced latency spikes of 4-8 k.

This latency issue divided our guild. 21 canceled theire subscriptions and moved to SWTOR due this Lag Peaks, red lining, etc.

And now I see that SWTOR isn't as bad as I thougth in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    And now I see that SWTOR isn't as bad as I thougth in the past.
    Elaborate please? How so?
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

For me, the latency issues seem to have resolved.

Default lag lag lag

I have been a member since launch and am about to cancel my subscription also due to the inability to even play the game the lag has not gotten any better and continues to get worse.

I get good ping all the way until the last 3 hops. From level13.net to AoC I get pings ~100. before that they are all 10-39.

Perhaps I am not understanding this whole network thing. If someone could explain I would appreciate it.

Last night my lag was just terrible. it was completely unplayable. Tracert showed 16 hops from me to AOC servers. All of the hops looked good until the last 3 (after I left the backbone and hit the level3.net domains) Pings to the last "good" hop (somewhere within Level13.net) came back with descent response and no packet loss. All of the last 3 hops had poor response and 20% or higher packet loss.

My ISP says that I have no issues. They can only go as far as insuring I get a good connection throughout their network and onto the backbone.

So if there was an issue with Level3.net and those last couple of hops, should it not have affected all or most people in the game?

In that situation you must use a VPN and see if it helps (also make a tracert with your VPN) I can't help you find a good VPN in your country but it should be possible to find one that is free (even with limited bandwidth it's ok, gaming requires very little bandwidth) or has at least a free trial. I use a free French one (that has servers in some other countries too) with only 1mb up/down bandwidth but it's more than enough and gives me the same ping (or better when my ISP is acting up) that I usually get with my connection.

The other day I had a similar issue and when I used a VPN my issues were fixed but the funny thing is that my packets went mostly through the same hops (only the very early hops were different) so it was obviously a matter of faulty connectivity between my ISP and another.

To be precise : my traffic from my city to Paris took a different route when using my VPN or not (which is to be expected), but when leaving Paris and heading towards the UK** and then the US it was absolutely the same and yet that's precisely where the massive packet loss happened (when I say massive I mean more than 30%+ with frequent loss of connectivity for up to several seconds).

**It went to something called Opentransit.org at this point and from my ISP the ping and packetloss was atrocious as if Opentransit was having issues. BUT from my VPN to Opentransit.org no problems at all, perfect latency and 0 packet loss. So the issue was between my ISP and Opentransit, even though both were actually working fine. This kind of thing happens (French internet users often get bad speeds on Youtube because of Opentransit aka Cogent) and is often caused by conflicts between companies rather than actual technical issues.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.
    Last edited by kalston; 21st July 2013 at 14:37.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast