Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Forum

I agree 100% with the OP. It's not all about specific guides, it's those little things that you don't THINK is important by itself, but at some point in the last 5 years someone else has asked that question... and had it answered.

Without that resource, there are going to be a LOT of the same questions popping up on the new forums. As forum-dwellers are the minority, this will also means a lot of frustrated people that are googling for answers won't find them.
    Skua - Bear Shaman (Bloodline)
    Misscreantt - Guardian (TRIBUNAL)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrynn View Post
    I agree 100% with the OP. It's not all about specific guides, it's those little things that you don't THINK is important by itself, but at some point in the last 5 years someone else has asked that question... and had it answered.

Without that resource, there are going to be a LOT of the same questions popping up on the new forums. As forum-dwellers are the minority, this will also means a lot of frustrated people that are googling for answers won't find them.
    Well it's only my opinion but if someone is making the effort to google something then they would make the effort to post on the new forums asking the question if they didn't find any answers rather than just asking for help in Global chat or guild chat in game.

As Arishanya posted earlier, if you see something that you believe is likely to be useful then copy and paste it to the new forums, just remember the information needs to be relevant to the game in it's current state and not breaching the Social Guidelines.
    Last edited by Vorbiz; 14th June 2013 at 14:47.
    Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Why must it go?

I have of course tried my best to save copies of useful stuff on my own harddrive, but the million tiny things you don't think of -that's what I will miss. Not the few important things that I do think of copying over.

Out of the 50 or so times I got help from the old forum the past few weeks, 0% of the info was outdated. It's mostly info about builds that gets outdated, not info about quests, drops, general layout and so on.

Yes, it will always be possible to figure things out eventually, by making new threads asking the same old questions again, but you'll have to wait and see if someone remembers or not, and it seems such a waste to let all the accumulated work of five years go down the drain.

Is it really that expencive to keep it online as a read-only resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Bignose View Post
    Why must it go?

I have of course tried my best to save copies of useful stuff on my own harddrive, but the million tiny things you don't think of -that's what I will miss. Not the few important things that I do think of copying over.

Out of the 50 or so times I got help from the old forum the past few weeks, 0% of the info was outdated. It's mostly info about builds that gets outdated, not info about quests, drops, general layout and so on.

Yes, it will always be possible to figure things out eventually, by making new threads asking the same old questions again, but you'll have to wait and see if someone remembers or not, and it seems such a waste to let all the accumulated work of five years go down the drain.

Is it really that expencive to keep it online as a read-only resource?
    A company in the red for years, probably.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I have given up copying the forums. WinHTTrack worked for 30 hours and wrote 180 000 files to my disk and then crashed... Trying to resume the download, the program can not find all the files I already downloaded so it starts over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Well it's only my opinion but if someone is making the effort to google something then they would make the effort to post on the new forums asking the question if they didn't find any answers rather than just asking for help in Global chat or guild chat in game.

As Arishanya posted earlier, if you see something that you believe is likely to be useful then copy and paste it to the new forums, just remember the information needs to be relevant to the game in it's current state and not breaching the Social Guidelines.
    Oh dear.

1. Asking the question again assumes that the people still here either remember the answer or know the answer. A HUGE number of the posts on that forum are written by people who have long since left the game. A significant amount of the information on those forums is knowledge which will likely never get researched/discussed again as theres just not the population to do it.

2. As MANY have already said, how do you know that something is going to be useful until you look for it and find it. Theres the "low hanging fruit" which is stickied, but theres a body of knowledge that never got stickied.

In this day and age where bandwidth and storage is so cheap Funcom's argument just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Buff

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    I have given up copying the forums. WinHTTrack worked for 30 hours and wrote 180 000 files to my disk and then crashed... Trying to resume the download, the program can not find all the files I already downloaded so it starts over again.
    Mine is at 420.000 and counting without crashes so it's not due to the program itself.
    You might want to restrict a lot the links that it's going to fetch... essentially you only want forumdisplay.php* and showthread.php* and you also want to exclude all the non-english ones among those.

Yes. I didn't figure out all the options in the program. If someone would be able to successfully mirror it and make a torrent, I will help seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    Yes. I didn't figure out all the options in the program. If someone would be able to successfully mirror it and make a torrent, I will help seeding.
    yea, good idea

Things does simply not dissapear from the internet. Only downside is that it doesnt seem to load the background :/.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201111152....com/index.php
    http://web.archive.org/web/201301312...geofconan.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12