Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Necro Pets

Default Necro Pets

Hello,
    i was wondering if anyone could explain Necro pets in a bit more detail, like their practical appliance for example?
    I'm so far a lvl30 Necro and have 3 melee pets: Mutilator, Corruptor, Blighted One, and 1 caster: deathless Acolyte: Magus.
    Blighted One seems situational to me so i'm rarely using it. Between Corruptor and Mutilator i'm choosing first one since i noticed that Unholy dot it gives tend to upgrade to higher tier sometimes. I just got DA:Magus and trying to figure if its any good, so i'm using 4xCorruptors + 2 DA:Magus. Is that combination good?
    Also, is there some kind of interface plugin exist to parse pet damage to compare it?

No expert, and matter of build and taste and circumstance which pets are best to use.

Blighted One: Drain mana
    Corruptor: Adds extra unholy damage
    Life stealer: life drain
    Mutilator: plain damage
    Necrotic bombs: bombs explode when killed by mobs
    Magus: caster pet with splash damage
    Arcanist: caster pet with single target damage
    Reaper: caster pet single target with life drain
    Archmagus: caster pet with aoe damage
    Blood arcanist: bigger version of reaper

You can enhance pets from feats:

Ruined Blight enhances mana drain on Blighted One.
    Grim corruptor adds 1-3 procs per minute to unholy damage for Corruptors.
    Life Leeches enhances life drain on Life stealers.
    Grim Hunger adds health tap and debuff for your caster pets.
    Cabal is extra damage for your caster pets.
    Gluttonous reaper is extra life drain from Reaper pet.
    The Devourer adds healing from both Reaper and Blood Arcanist.
    Unholy Inspiration adds a pet damage buff to Blasphemous Ruin.

You can parse damage by doing "/logcombat on" as a chat command in game, and you can use www.guildstats.com to parse the logs and see damage.

I'll leave to the more experienced necromancers to suggest usage of pets, but I rarely use melee pets except in Coppice HM. Normally I use Arcanist in raid, and Magus if more than 1 target.
    Last edited by Buyten; 12th June 2013 at 08:56.

as a lowbie, use mutilators or feated(!) corruptors for max dmg output, mix with 1-2 bligted ones or 1 mage pet (again, feated) for the sake of spiritual torment debuff stacking. use mage pets for situations when melee pets can´t easily reach the target coz of their stupid pathing or when they get killed for some reason.

also see this post/topic about pet utility:
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpos...51&postcount=6

Link says the domain name is for sale. I've tried "/logcombat on" now just need some kind of parser.

For some reason i never noticed any mana drain on Blighted Ones, also description says "mana damage". But Spiritual torment stacking seems useful. Also they doing slashing damage instead of crushing like corruptors. That leads to another question. The stats on melee pets seems to be the same, so the difference between them lies within proc damage. Unholy for Corruptors, Bleeding for Mutilators and mana damage for Blighted. So the question: is there any specific mobs or mob types with noticeable weaknesses/resistances? Like for example mantis with their hard shells would be resistant to slash/piercing and weak to blunt or plant mobs weak to slashing?

Second question about DA:Magus. They cost 2 points and do around twice as much damage as melee pets but attack speed seems slower.
    How are they dps-wise comparing to melee pets?

Guild Stats or Advanced Combat Tracker are what you want. Guild Stats is much simpler, although ACT gives more in depth analysis.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by markel View Post
    Link says the domain name is for sale. I've tried "/logcombat on" now just need some kind of parser.

For some reason i never noticed any mana drain on Blighted Ones, also description says "mana damage". But Spiritual torment stacking seems useful. Also they doing slashing damage instead of crushing like corruptors. That leads to another question. The stats on melee pets seems to be the same, so the difference between them lies within proc damage. Unholy for Corruptors, Bleeding for Mutilators and mana damage for Blighted. So the question: is there any specific mobs or mob types with noticeable weaknesses/resistances? Like for example mantis with their hard shells would be resistant to slash/piercing and weak to blunt or plant mobs weak to slashing?

Second question about DA:Magus. They cost 2 points and do around twice as much damage as melee pets but attack speed seems slower.
    How are they dps-wise comparing to melee pets?
    mana damage = damage to mana, but it´s essencial only on specific encounter(s) like the T3 raid boss Favored of Louhi, don´t bother with that when soloing

Melee pets attacks differ a bit, some are faster (mutilators), some got longer reach (lifestealer) so are better used with multiple necros using melee pets etc. The main advantage of melee pets (vs. caster pets) is better synergy with your team/raid, that means various buffs/debuffs/procs, that boost your pets damage.. group a necro with a ToS, conq etc. and you´ve got the best single target DPS.. while being afk

Ofc., on some encounters melee pets are useless since they can´t reach their target, like T4 Entity fight, on Celestial Necropolis boss they get often stuck on the bridge, on stinky boss in W2 they die in poison etc. Some bosses/mobs are also more vulnerable to magic damage than to physical damage, so you must take into account this as well.

About the caster pets, I cannot seem to find the cast times for the caster pets, so far it seems the arcanists are the quickest casters, with magus in second and then reapers, does anybody know the actual numbers of their attack speed?

Is it me or Grim Corruptor is bugged?
    After getting that feat i dont see Unholy damage stack on mobs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by markel View Post
    Is it me or Grim Corruptor is bugged?
    After getting that feat i dont see Unholy damage stack on mobs anymore.
    it works, what it does is make corruptors unholy damage proc a few times more.

not sure if its worth it at low lvl's given pets scale while you lvl and in relation to your gear and stats, but at least at lvl80 even with t1-t3 gear its noticeable an improvement in feating it.

bear in mind pets will be afected by crit rating and crit damage.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ozambabbaz View Post
    About the caster pets, I cannot seem to find the cast times for the caster pets, so far it seems the arcanists are the quickest casters, with magus in second and then reapers, does anybody know the actual numbers of their attack speed?
    I measured the attack speed today.
    Reapers do 1 attack every 2.5 seconds (24 per minute)
    Arcanists do 1 attack every 2.1 seconds (28 per minute; actually I think it is 1 attack every 2 seconds)
    Magus... I have no clue, since I don't use them^^

I'm still not sure which caster pets I shall use. Somehow I have the impression that the overall damage is higher when I use arcanists instead of reapers. But the (fully skilled) reaper damage is higher (30dps over arcanists), and I don't know if the 5% base spell damage from the arcanists buff can close the gap.

Here are the results of my testing:
    unskilled (no single skill point spent and no buff active)
    Arcanists 384.3 dps (390.3; 380.9; 381.7)
    Reapers 355.9 dps (355.9; 380.9; 381.7)

skilled (unholy power, cabal, empowered archmagus, the devourer maxed; no skill points in Grim Hunger because the debuff affects only reapers but in a raid situation it plays no role since elemental debuff comes from other classes)
    Arcanists 493.6 dps (497.5; 485.9; 497.5)
    Reapers 525.7 dps (526.9; 524.6; 525.5)

Testing was done with AoC-Stats (a parser for german clients); I started the fight with a single chill (technical reasons) and let my pets cast for 3min on the strawman in the guild city. And from the total amount of damage dealt by my pets I calculated the DPS.

If anyone has some hard numbers how 5% base spell damage increases the damage of a typical necro rotation I would be grateful to hear.
    Last edited by MrGimbel; 15th June 2013 at 15:43.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast