Thread: Constant lag spikes

Default Constant lag spikes

Hello everyone. I'd like to ask for your help with this issue, as the title says, I've been having some very annoying, experience ruining rage inducing lag spikes, where my ping spikes from 180(normal for me) up to 500 and sometimes 800, making me miss combos or making my character just stand there getting his ass kicked by the mobs or rubberbanding while I'm riding/running.

It lasts about 2-3 seconds and then goes down to the normal 180ms.

My specs are: on windows 7
    AMD Phenom black 4x - 3.4ghz
    AMD HD7770
    4gigs of ram.

I tried searching around and I found a mention about the ram bottlenecking the processing and causing those ****ing lags, is that true?

I appreciate any assistance given, as I'm at my patience's end. Thank you very much for your time.

Could be. 8 GB RAM is nice to have. Make sure Windows 7 is 64 bit though, otherwise it would be worthless.

I would first check your computer for malware/viruses and make sure there isn't too much startup junk and programs running.

Check your hard drive also, it could be failing.

How many people are sharing the internet on your network, and how fast is the speed.

Honestly, it could be a number of things.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Hmm I see. Thanks for the suggestions Halfdead, I appreciate it...I'm suspecting it's a ram problem indeed, fortunately or not :/ and yeah, it's a x64 version of Win7Ultimate.

Somethings I forgot to mention thanks to the rage were that I used a program called TunedUp Utilities (same guys that make AVG I believe)to clean up my comp and a complete defrag overnight, which did speed up my PC up overall (the only other game I play is Dota 2, and that always ran smooth as silk on highest settings and had much better load times afterwards).

Also cleaned up/defragged registry and disabled many settings the program suggested would improve performance, to no avail.

As for antivirus I use the Microsoft one they distribute for free, and it didn't find anything.

I really appreciate your help Halfdead, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    Run f-secure online scanner
    Thanks for the suggestion darknessjw! Ran it, but it didn't find anything harmful

try to figure out if the lag spikes are caused by connection issues or computer issues (loading stuff, effects and so on)... those two types have different "solutions", try this:

- when you see your on a "moment" of several lag spikes, decrease everything on graphics, and se if continues on lagging, if NOT, then its likely the problem is on connection, otherwise i might be your computer processing a lot of stuff at the same time --- try testing your ping or conection speed HERE by choosing a server where the game is (sorry i dunno where is the physical location of the server, only that is in america)
    - what causes the computer to slow down, well a lot of stuff, and one of those is virus/malware like others already said, and specially anything programs on background (taskbar, process), you have to exit everything you can and launch the game --- one of the things that slows down A LOT is the antivirus that starts on scheduled tasks if you have any

Thank you very much for all the help everyone!

Seems I finally found the culprit...a shitty router. Will have to do more testing, but so far the game is playing like it did 2 years ago. Thanks to everyone!

Bought a new router and the ****ing problem persists. My computer the only connected to it, and I don't know what else to do. My god this is ****ing frustrating...also just played a round of Dota 2 with no lag issues. What the hell...when I plugged my comp directly to the modem I had no issues at all...

Are you running windowed mode? You need to alt-tab in/out of game to fix lag because Funcom is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydenz View Post
    Are you running windowed mode? You need to alt-tab in/out of game to fix lag because Funcom is pathetic.
    Yup, always have to do that before selection screen Thanks for posting!