Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Forum

Default Old Forum

I've been a sub to AoC since launch, and I have logged aprox 3000 hours playtime since 2008.

I recently started a new alt from scratch, and for the past few weeks I have leveled him to 80 and played through Khitai a few times in order to gear him.

During those few weeks, I've been "stuck" maybe 50 times, stuck in the sense I don't quite remember how this works, where stuff drops, how to trigger quests HMs and so on. Every time I got stuck, I googled it, and found the answer within 20 sec.

The problem is that all the threads containing useful info has the following text written on top of the page:

"This forum is closed and serves only as an archive.
    This archive will be available until July 1st, 2013.
    The new forum can be found at http://forums.ageofconan.com "

If a veteran like myself need these resources so much, what about newbies? There are TONS of useful stuff in the old forums, and let's be honest, practically nothing useful in the new ones.

I think we will lose too much when the old forum goes. How much will it cost to keep it online as a read-only archive? Please?

To be honest, I don't even know if I can play the game without it, it's been THAT useful for me over the past few weeks.

You can find everything you need:

http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/
    http://cynarablog.wordpress.com/

And normally on your guilds websites.

"Everything you need" is an ambiguous term.

I'm thinking about the million tiny insignificant tid-bits that can be useful to remember, and annoying to not remember.

During the past few weeks it is astonnishing how infrequent AOC>TV (a wonderful site, no doubt) or cynarablog (also great) provided the answers.

>95% of the time it was the old forum which saved the day.

I find it very depressing how many people seem to accept the loss of the old forums as if they are somehow irrelevant or generally outdated. The amount of information on aoc>tv or on my blog is utterly insignificant compared to what's in the old forums. Funcom's planned deletion of the old forums is a tragic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyten View Post
    You can find everything you need:

http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/
    http://cynarablog.wordpress.com/

And normally on your guilds websites.
    Theres TONS of things & specific infos that aren't in thoses websites.

Depends a bit on your guilds websites. Our guild forums have been fed with important info from forums for 5 years.

Yes, the old forums are 10% very useful. They are also 90% badly outdated. The game has evolved a ton over the last five years. Which means that new/returning people are more likely to get led astray on those forums by something that is specific, helpful-seeming, but wrong, than to get useful info.

The community has two solutions:
    • Create a new/updated guide out of an old one. Lots of people have done this already. Almost too much; for example, a lot of the stickies in the newcomer forum could be replaced/consolidated, especially with a clean Khitai guide. /todolist
    • I haven't tried this yet, but someone linked this site, which allows you to make your own offline archive of a website. (oh, how I wish I'd done this with YG...)
    Last edited by Prima; 13th June 2013 at 18:00.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Testing that now. Gonna take a while.....

A very long time. Downloads at 20KB/s... This will probably take days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bignose View Post
    If a veteran like myself need these resources so much, what about newbies? There are TONS of useful stuff in the old forums, and let's be honest, practically nothing useful in the new ones.

As Tarib stated here, if you think there is a guide, a post or a screenshot or something similar that should still be available for further discussions also on these new forums, feel free to copy it over from the archives mentioned above. Please be aware though that if such copied-over content is seen as unnecessary or is against the forum rules, we keep the right to remove them. Just like with any new post or thread started on the forums.
    Arishanya ~ Head Moderator
    English Community

Age of Conan Website ~ Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast