Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "OMG my ping is now 200 what do I do? " -edited by Grizzly-

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    I can only speak from my experience:
    - assasin on a "good" day was fun and even i could win duels easily with timing...on a "bad" day the other way around
    - hox and necro with low ping are immense fun in PvE, not so with high ping (combat freezes, missing combo steps, messed up spell cooldowns and missing animations)
    - ranger and demo works most of the time unless you are circle strafed with high ping (but then you can move as well and the latency is on your side again)
    Looks like your problem is with lag spikes, and that's not a problem related to your high ping. I do not miss combos, my combat do not freeze, HoX animations are canceled when the transformation ends and so on...
    Latency is not on your side when you're trying to evade your opponent. Sometimes you'll get hit midair far away from your opponent range. You'll rage when you perfectly evade a barbs KB but you get hit anyway. Theres nothing you can do about it.
    Maybe i'm just too used to it that I can not tell the difference =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgDj8Www1Qw <- HoX solo PvE experience.

Personally, I can't hit moving targets with speedbuffs, even if it's minimal. They literally teleport in my screen and even if they are standing still I can't hit them with my DT, it's kinda ridiculous. Sometimes they are doing nothing and suddenly start dancing like michael jackson (moonwalk) WHILE hiting me. Barbs are impossible to hit and that's why I think speedbuffs are bad for a game like AoC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieulombardi View Post
    When your opponent's latency is high too, a lot of times the effect is applied to you before the animations finish. Some Brazilian or aussy barbs would clobber me before I even see the cast bar finish and their kick applied. Other times when I distinctly pressed or even spammed kb immunity, it wouldn't get applied soon enough before a kb comes through. Still, playable.
    So with a good connection you can evade barb "instant" KB? Cuz it's instant for me, lol, when I see the cast bar/combo name i'm already at the ground.
    Some game mechanics are so different to each of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Brazil is so close to US and the internet there is so bad?

I am shocked, TV gave me impression that Brazil is awesome!
    http://youtu.be/G_M2fonaSlY
    Yeah, brazil is good for pedophiles, bandits, corrupts, rich europeans/americans, but definitely not good for gamers.

Yes, my main problem are lag spikes, but i share the experiences you and mathieu wrote about, so it is a combination of both.
    I am pretty sure it is latency related (or at least how the engine works, when the latency is high), because the missed combosteps and animations always happen when on 300ms+ and i saw no spikes (which does not outrule microspikes or "lagged" spikes).
    I am also used to that timing is messed up...always fun to use a bubble and wake up dead (and the cast was done on my client before the attacks came).
    I also remember a discussion that the "trick" of doubletapping to avoid knockback is available for everyone and a matter of pure skillz. Maybe now these haughty people will understand what i meant back then when saying this "trick" is not available for everyone...
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 17th May 2013 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    If you have more than 300ms, ignore this thread. You're screwed.

As a Brazilian, I always played with high pings in all MMORPGs, some games that I love (global agenda, for example) I can't even play decently. AoC, as a big surprise, was so well-made that even living in Brazil I couldn't feel the ping issues that I found in all mmorpgs before.
    Yes, high ping means less fun, but you can still enjoy EVERYTHING AoC has to offer.

The reason i'm making this thread is: 90% of your arguments, are invalid. You do not have to predict your enemies movement in order to land a combo. People aren't teleporting 100% of the time, unless they have speedbuff or you're having lag spikes.
    2 Classes are bad with High ping: Conq (1-hand) and DT. Sins are still playable because their finisher is so fast that 200ms+ can't hurt you a lot. With conq, if you keep doing the charge thing, you won't have a huge problem either.

So, new players, ignore them and you'll do just fine.

One of my pvp videos with high ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgeOwdKDeQ <- Calling me a baddie won't give you an excuse for your excuses.

What funcom can do to minimize this problem: Put a warning at the character creation screen at the Dark Templar and Conqueror section. You, Funcom, just need to mention that in PvE everything is Okay, but for PvP...

The game experience is worse? Yes. No doubt about that.
    Can I still be good at everything? Nothing can stop you there , just don't expect becoming a PvP god with DT and Carnage Conq.

THERE'S ABSOLUTLY NO DIFFERENCE IN PVE.
    My DT k/d: 5158/2869 <- Not a KDR whore, always trying to win the token. See? it's not the end of the world.

Sorry for my bad english.
    I get what you are saying m8 but this is not kind of pvp i am used to. Its bit slow, you always standing next to enemy to hit him, didnt see you or anyone else hitting good kiting target.
    No jump combos, nobody with good movement.
    Dont mean to insult you or anyone but this is not aoc pvp i am used to. It seems to much static. Dont want to imply that you woulndt be able to hit player with good movement, but difference in playstyle of those opponents and some players on fury are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    I get what you are saying m8 but this is not kind of pvp i am used to. Its bit slow, you always standing next to enemy to hit him, didnt see you or anyone else hitting good kiting target.
    No jump combos, nobody with good movement.
    Dont mean to insult you or anyone but this is not aoc pvp i am used to. It seems to much static. Dont want to imply that you woulndt be able to hit player with good movement, but difference in playstyle of those opponents and some players on fury are huge.
    I don't get your point. You can do everything you mentioned (the pro-skill-lvl) with 200ms+ just fine. You should also take into consideration that 80% of the population will have the same latency as you.

You can combo jump, sprint jump, cancel your combos, double tap kb, kite...

It will at least look even more silly and ridicolous than it does now

But he has a point...these "skillz" are probably linked to weird engine behaviour or lag spikes as well (if you don't believe me just do instant turns while pressing shift and watch).

The latency definitely adds a "random" note to movement like that, because you can't really control that you really "avoid" hits by using the jumploit or you will be there in time to score a hit on the victim when under speed, without getting rubberbanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    I don't get your point. You can do everything you mentioned (the pro-skill-lvl) with 200ms+ just fine. You should also take into consideration that 80% of the population will have the same latency as you.

You can combo jump, sprint jump, cancel your combos, double tap kb, kite...
    Well honestly dont know is it new server issue or latency or whatever but i notice some issues with moving and turning camera around. Sometimes there is slight delay, and in general bit of stuttering on movements.
    In your video i see how animation is late sometimes that can also be annoying and confusing. Also i tested with my buddy ranger double tapping linebreaker which was walk in a park earlier. Now sometimes if i start double tap when i see linebreaker on combat bar i still get knocked. soo...
    well i will wait and see will new server after merge be better if they fix all they could.

Yeah it's playable, we know that, just like you can go to work walking on your hands instead of walking on your feet if you want to - but low ping pvp is just a whole other experience. High ping pvp is for me not interesting at all - I hate slow, static combat (and turn based combat even more so). You can play and have fun with it all you want it's not the game I've learned to play nor the one I want to play.

And you say yourself that hitting speedbuffed targets is impossible :/. That's exactly the problem - high latency downgrades the pvp gameplay and severely limits what classes you can play, how you play them etc. IMO, it is simply a disaster considering how much diversity and depth AoC has to offer in a low latency environment.

This is more like it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JiB...7rN9w&index=11 although they are NOT fighting very skilled opponents so it could be even better :P
    Last edited by kalston; 17th May 2013 at 20:13.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    Well honestly dont know is it new server issue or latency or whatever but i notice some issues with moving and turning camera around. Sometimes there is slight delay, and in general bit of stuttering on movements.
    Yeah, that delay is quite frustrating.

Not sure how much my big latency increase gonna affect my gameplay but i will try it out soon.
    I about 3x up my latency from 40-60 to 140-180.

The unfair point is that US players will defently have a better chance to kill you in PvP becaus the latency and so on. Depends how good that player is and how fast that player reacts.

I thought EU had more players than US but i might been wrong.
    I sure hope that is so. If not it´s weird that servers was not located in EU and as close as possible to US.

But even tho the ping increase i have to try out for a few days to see how much this actualy affect me personaly

Goodluck everyone and hope Funcom did a good descision in the end!

Cheers Banto!

Quote Originally Posted by Banto View Post
    Not sure how much my big latency increase gonna affect my gameplay but i will try it out soon.
    I about 3x up my latency from 40-60 to 140-180.

The unfair point is that US players will defently have a better chance to kill you in PvP becaus the latency and so on. Depends how good that player is and how fast that player reacts.

I thought EU had more players than US but i might been wrong.
    I sure hope that is so. If not it´s weird that servers was not located in EU and as close as possible to US.

But even tho the ping increase i have to try out for a few days to see how much this actualy affect me personaly

Goodluck everyone and hope Funcom did a good descision in the end!

Cheers Banto!
    keep on going with ur vids banto

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast