Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "OMG my ping is now 200 what do I do? " -edited by Grizzly-

Default "OMG my ping is now 200 what do I do? " -edited by Grizzly-

If you have more than 300ms, ignore this thread. You're screwed.

As a Brazilian, I always played with high pings in all MMORPGs, some games that I love (global agenda, for example) I can't even play decently. AoC, as a big surprise, was so well-made that even living in Brazil I couldn't feel the ping issues that I found in all mmorpgs before.
    Yes, high ping means less fun, but you can still enjoy EVERYTHING AoC has to offer.

The reason i'm making this thread is: 90% of your arguments, are invalid. You do not have to predict your enemies movement in order to land a combo. People aren't teleporting 100% of the time, unless they have speedbuff or you're having lag spikes.
    2 Classes are bad with High ping: Conq (1-hand) and DT. Sins are still playable because their finisher is so fast that 200ms+ can't hurt you a lot. With conq, if you keep doing the charge thing, you won't have a huge problem either.

So, new players, ignore them and you'll do just fine.

One of my pvp videos with high ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgeOwdKDeQ <- Calling me a baddie won't give you an excuse for your excuses.

What funcom can do to minimize this problem: Put a warning at the character creation screen at the Dark Templar and Conqueror section. You, Funcom, just need to mention that in PvE everything is Okay, but for PvP...

The game experience is worse? Yes. No doubt about that.
    Can I still be good at everything? Nothing can stop you there , just don't expect becoming a PvP god with DT and Carnage Conq.

THERE'S ABSOLUTLY NO DIFFERENCE IN PVE.
    My DT k/d: 5158/2869 <- Not a KDR whore, always trying to win the token. See? it's not the end of the world.

Sorry for my bad english.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 17th May 2013 at 14:11.

But if everyone has bad pings the playing field will be level! see?

My connection never was good either, but i always were in average between 80ms and 250ms with many spikes. With less spikes before last maintenance it looked even as an improvement for solo pve. Raids, complicated 6ppl groups, timer quests and pvp is a different thing though.
    Sure, PvE and PvP is possible with 100ms bonus, but it depends a lot on how you play, where you play and with whom you play. The engine design is such, that high latency differences are easily exploitable (even i could make "pros" miss every non aoe combo, if i wanted to and i was accused of speed hacking and teleport hack). Also fast paced combat with high latency differences will lead to rubberbanding and teleports (and since 2.0 in a way that you can not really predict where to hit either). Still you are right, that it can be done and is to a great extend a question of getting used to. But not for everyone and not completely, sadly. For the majority (me included) pvping with high ping meant less reaction, weird behaviour, timing gets replaced by luck (or pressing the keyboard very hard, hoping the game registers what i do) and overall it is a lot less fun and tactical.

I can only speak from my experience:
    - assasin on a "good" day was fun and even i could win duels easily with timing...on a "bad" day the other way around
    - hox and necro with low ping are immense fun in PvE, not so with high ping (combat freezes, missing combo steps, messed up spell cooldowns and missing animations)
    - ranger and demo works most of the time unless you are circle strafed with high ping (but then you can move as well and the latency is on your side again)

Trouble is, that it does not only depend on the raw physical distance or your own latency. It will get a lot worse after the servers are merged. But on a positive side as others mentioned already in other threads: because physics are not all and the engine 2.0 was really not good in handling network synchronization from the beginning, there is LOTS of optimization potential on funcoms side.

Since the thread will probably be merged or closed soon anyway, maybe we can turn it into a thread where to discuss honestly, with which classes and under which circumstances high ping pvp is still fun (subjectively, Lerael obviously started with all classes anytime, except DT and conq)?
    Also, what measures from funcoms side would be acceptable to counter the problems ineviteably coming with high latency (for example less instant things, different targetting, different hitbox, slower paced combat etc.)?
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 17th May 2013 at 06:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    If you have more than 300ms, ignore this thread. You're screwed.

As a Brazilian, I always played with high pings in all MMORPGs, some games that I love (global agenda, for example) I can't even play decently. AoC, as a big surprise, was so well-made that even living in Brazil I couldn't feel the ping issues that I found in all mmorpgs before.
    Yes, high ping means less fun, but you can still enjoy EVERYTHING AoC has to offer.

The reason i'm making this thread is: 90% of your arguments, eurobros, are invalid. You do not have to predict your enemies movement in order to land a combo. People aren't teleporting 100% of the time, unless they have speedbuff or you're having lag spikes.
    2 Classes are bad with High ping: Conq (1-hand) and DT. Sins are still playable because their finisher is so fast that 200ms+ can't hurt you a lot. With conq, if you keep doing the charge thing, you won't have a huge problem either.

So, new players, ignore them and you'll do just fine.

One of my pvp videos with high ping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgeOwdKDeQ <- Calling me a baddie won't give you an excuse for your excuses.

What funcom can do to minimize this problem: Put a god dam warning at the character creation screen at the Dark Templar and Conqueror section. You, Funcom, just need to mention that in PvE everything is Okay, but for PvP...

The game experience is worse? Yes. No doubt about that.
    Can I still be good at everything? Nothing can stop you there , eurobro, just don't expect becoming a PvP god with DT and Carnage Conq.

THERE'S ABSOLUTLY NO DIFFERENCE IN PVE.
    My DT k/d: 5158/2869 <- Not a KDR whore, always trying to win the token. See? it's not the end of the world.

Sorry for my bad english.

well i have over 300 ping and i do not feel "screwed" i think i still play ok

Yeah but when you've got high ping and your opponent's in korea, it makes for an 'interesting' fight. It's just hard on a melee toon, esp dagger range.

When your opponent's latency is high too, a lot of times the effect is applied to you before the animations finish. Some Brazilian or aussy barbs would clobber me before I even see the cast bar finish and their kick applied. Other times when I distinctly pressed or even spammed kb immunity, it wouldn't get applied soon enough before a kb comes through. Still, playable.

On a good day 200-350 ms
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...0.jpg~original

On a bad day 1k-4k periodic to constant lag, unplayable, but just wait it out with some blogal trolling and it'll become normal soon.
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...4.jpg~original

Plus you really don't need to be pvping all the time on a melee, go on a tos or caster during high ping times and I (and expect you to) do fine.
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...c.jpg~original

Quote Originally Posted by GeldourConq View Post
    well i have over 300 ping and i do not feel "screwed" i think i still play ok
    admittedly tho, i could tell u didnt have great internet (or at least thats what i thought until i heard bout pings)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieulombardi View Post
    aussy barbs would clobber me before I even see the cast bar finish and their kick applied.
    thats like 2000k ms to the least geldour definately doesnt have that problem, not to that extent

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Since the thread will probably be merged or closed soon anyway, maybe we can turn it into a thread where to discuss honestly, with which classes and under which circumstances high ping pvp is still fun (subjectively, Lerael obviously started with all classes anytime, except DT and conq)?
    Also, what measures from funcoms side would be acceptable to counter the problems ineviteably coming with high latency (for example less instant things, different targetting, different hitbox, slower paced combat etc.)?
    Actually I think if you can keep this thread on topic it wont get closed or merged. In the past every thread that has been closed or merged has been for the following reasons. 1. it was a thread discussing the same issue as another, 2. the thread devolved into flaming and trolling 3. the thread deviated from the topic 4. reposting moderated material.

This thread is not about ping, it's about PvPing with a higher ping i.e. 200ms+.

If you want this thread to remain open then keep to the OP, there are lots of players out there that play with higher pings and still do well, hopefully they will drop in and share their opinion and give tips as needed.
    Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    Can I still be good at everything? Nothing can stop you there , eurobro, just don't expect becoming a PvP god with DT and Carnage Conq
    Conq is so much OP that YES you would be still PvP god...
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

Brazil is so close to US and the internet there is so bad?

I am shocked, TV gave me impression that Brazil is awesome!
    http://youtu.be/G_M2fonaSlY
    Retired

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast