Thread: Plate vs. Heavy

Default Plate vs. Heavy

New back to the game after a long break - now I hear Conq's run around in Plate armour. Great! But there's no "Conq" specific plate armour. bad.

I never did finish too far into Khitai and the faction gear, and I'm still shopping around for the right set to buy (I don't group up too much, so there's not much chance of getting gear from the 6-mans).

So - is it okay to go with the big Plate even though it's not very "Conq"?

I now have both specs that I switch between - run Carnage most of the time, Brute when I have to. Love Carnage. But I know that groups are fickle and will usually want Brute.

I tend to think Heavy would be better for the stats most of the time.

But seriously: Is it possible to get into groups with a Carnage build, or will they laugh me out of the raid? And can I Brute in my Heavy Conq gear? Or do I "have to" go Plate?

Please elusidate your position. I thank you in advance for your contribution.

tl;dr: WANNA KILL **** - WHICH IS BEST - PLATE OR CONQ-HEAVY?

http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory.php

If you have a look on this website then you can see what Khitai armor and weapons you can purchase.

As for your question you could run the Tigers chest, Last Legion Helm and Last Legion legs with either Brute or Carnage spec and not miss out on overly much mitigation having the Tigers chest (.4% I think Boesch quoted in another post) in comparison to the Full Plate Battlements chest.

These 3 pieces give you a lot of crit rating and strength or combat rating for damage, it's a pretty solid combination of gear for physical fights for the main pieces to wear.
    Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Thanks for your reply, Grizzly - I'll look at that in some more detail.

I love that sight - but there's so much stuff I tend to get lost.

You're welcome and I suggest you read through this thread

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180650

it contains a lot of useful information and worth the time as it will help you catch up on the class changes quicker.
    Social Guidelines ~ Funcom Customer Support
    End User Lisence Agreement ~ Terms of Service ~ Rules of Conduct

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Super short answer: Plate (Last Legion) for tanking. Heavy (Tigers) for DPS.

There are two questions you are getting at in this thread, first if people want carnage, second what's the best set.

First, for carnage. It is going to depend on who is making the group, obviously. Make your own if you absolutely want to run carnage. Get in a guild or build a friends list up. Carnage is one of the highest DPSers out there but in Khitai 6mans people usually expect the more 'pure' DPS classes to provide this and at the same time the essential AA's to complete the instance. As carnage you are DPS only and don't contribute to the AA's needed. So yeah, you can definitely do carnage in 6mans but the best way to do it is probably form your own. Raids usually don't require the AAs but a lot will expect every soldier to actually tank, though in practice only 2-3 will really do anything in most encounters. In a good, experienced raid you can probably DPS most of it instead of tanking.

Second, which armour. For Brute you want Last Legion simply for the mitigation. Tigers is nice but you can't main tank (and definitely not solo tank) much in it. Brute Conq hit hard and have a lot of hate modifiers so it's definitely okay to chase Plate.

Last... this advice changes a bit if you can get T4, but I assume when you say that you don't group much then it is not such an issue to you.