Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unchained PvP Everywhere will bring AOC back from the shadows.

Default Unchained PvP Everywhere will bring AOC back from the shadows.

Nusquam, Please consider a PvP rewards system overhaul. PvP gear and AA's have destroyed PvP for the majority of the PvP minded player base. Entire guilds left the game after 1.05, and before that the gem debacle. A huge portion of the original subscriber base came to AOC because it was advertised as being more skill based when it comes to PvP. The combat system was made to cater to the skilled player over the player who had better item stats. However now, that combat system we all love so much is undermined by inflated item stats and the AA system.

There are a few other things that if done right can and will bring back hordes of players.

1. World PvP objectives. It doesn't have to be fancy. Simply putting guild quest givers that offer rewards for enemy guild/faction player heads would do wonders.

2. Sieges... if they worked right, would be a big deal.

A} Seige mounts are currently useless. Would be nice if they actually did damage enough to warrent their use in a siege. I've been yelled at for using my war mammoth... That shouldn't happen.

3. PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THE "PvPer's" who claim they need meaningful rewards in the form of vertical progression for PvP. These are NOT pvper's They are a minority of the demographic and do not represent the masses of PvPer's who did it for the fatalities before the gear was even a brainfart. Instead of PvP specific items with stats, offer Vanity armors, ranks/titles, consumables ,access to special mounts, emotes... ANYTHING but actual power from gear.

The bottom line is that Gear grinding is for PvE players. They like progressing their characters and seeing increasingly difficult content. Fine, let them eat cake. Just put a cap on PvP stats for all gear. Hell, you could even hardwire PvP stats to character level, that way no matter how inflated the item stats get after 80, the character will never surpass a set PvP stat cap. This would make PvErs happy, since they will still require better items to progress through harder content, but at anytime they want to jump into PvP, they won't be held back by their items, nor will they have an advantage over those who aren't as PvE equipped as they are.

Again, rewards for PvPing should be cosmetic, and the rewards for PvEing should not effect PvP from a gear power standpoint. The amazing combat system is rewarding enough when players learn to be proficient with it. Fatalities NEVER get old. (Unless you are killed by a caster and get stuck looking charred until you change zones) I know it's difficult to pull something like this off, but if you really look at it, there's not much else that would be worth the effort. Changes like this would have huge positive impact on the population. There's no doubt about it. Since you are already working on the new crafting system, you may be able to work some of these changes along with it. Kill two birds if you will. Anyway, I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears. Thanks for reading. That is all.
    Last edited by Roargathor; 8th May 2013 at 08:37.

World wide unchained I agree with.

Hardcoded pvp stats even in PvE gear is a good idea.

Make lots of cosmetic gear, ranks to build. Quests.

Good OP.

I love gear hunt in PvE. I do not love gearhunt PvP. I also think that is the majoritys stance if you count those that left and might rejoin.

Aint no one coming back to a 6 year old MMO like this one. They need to save it for AOC 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorp View Post
    Aint no one coming back to a 6 year old MMO like this one. They need to save it for AOC 2.0.
    AoC is old but it is the MMORPG with the best graphics, combat system and PvE encounters. With good publicity and new content, including fixing old content, this game will probably get a huge pop again.

Well, the only good thing in this thread is the siege part, because everything else was confirmed by Joel.
    Dude, stop posting about what "real pvpers want", if you like PvP just to land your fatalities, that's okay, you're getting a new mini game mode just for that, but some people like competition and competition ask for equipment strategies and AAs. As a MMORPG developer, they must do everything they can to satisfy the maximun amount of people, that includes the PvEPers.

This OP claims he knows what a real pvper is and that he speaks for entire PvP community.

Without gear and reward lots of us lose interest. A new PvP set or a ranking system with rewards would bring back my engagement. Right now I'm considering unsub, as all AA are filled, no pvp gear is coming and we wont be able to use pve stuff in pvp. I mean as I have almost everything I would say I'm pretty done with game. Doing the same 5 minis over and over without any reward or ranking...or stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    Dude, stop posting about what "real pvpers want", if you like PvP just to land your fatalities, that's okay, you're getting a new mini game mode just for that, but some people like competition and competition ask for equipment strategies and AAs. As a MMORPG developer, they must do everything they can to satisfy the maximun amount of people, that includes the PvEPers.
    Here's what the OP really said:

Quote Originally Posted by Roargathor View Post
    Instead of PvP specific items with stats, offer Vanity armors, ranks/titles, consumables ,access to special mounts, emotes... ANYTHING but actual power from gear.
    Also, I fail to see how winning a battle thanks to of "equipment strategies" and AAs is more competitive than winning due to superior movement, right timing of CCs and damage bursts, etc, as you seem to imply.

I understand that a MMO needs to provide people with incentives to compete. But I don't see why power gear is a good incentive. When I remember my WoW days, PvP power sets were no indication of the quality of a player since everyone could easily obtain them (much more easily than in AoC, even though WoW is clearly a PvE focused game!). By contrast, if you saw a player with the "Gladiator" title, or a high rank of the vintage WoW PvP titles, you could be pretty sure that this guy would kick some serious butt.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Here's what the OP really said:
    Also, I fail to see how winning a battle thanks to of "equipment strategies" and AAs is more competitive than winning due to superior movement, right timing of CCs and damage bursts, etc, as you seem to imply.

I understand that a MMO needs to provide people with incentives to compete. But I don't see why power gear is a good incentive. When I remember my WoW days, PvP power sets were no indication of the quality of a player since everyone could easily obtain them (much more easily than in AoC, even though WoW is clearly a PvE focused game!). By contrast, if you saw a player with the "Gladiator" title, or a high rank of the vintage WoW PvP titles, you could be pretty sure that this guy would kick some serious butt.
    You fail to see the difference between the casual mode and the "hardcore" mode. Why would I play everyday if I can create a lvl 80 conq/demo and instantly become the PvP god?

We need two options of PvP:
    The casual one, same gear and AAs to all players.
    The hardcore one, you get the gear and AA by pvping at the casual mode and then fight people who is equally geared with the same game experience. The reward here should be exclusive itens for your group/guild.

You see, mmorpg developers must create something that both sides would be very happy.

Ideally you should create a char in charcreation at lvl 1 and click join minigame. Bang ready for lvl 80 minis and be equal. You wouldnt know what the f to press, and when, but that is what should take the time to learn.

There is no point trying to call gearsentric pvp for hardcore. You could call it Gear (Dis)Advantage Mode( GAM mode ) if anything.

Hardcore is the level playfield if anything is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerael View Post
    You fail to see the difference between the casual mode and the "hardcore" mode. Why would I play everyday if I can create a lvl 80 conq/demo and instantly become the PvP god?

We need two options of PvP:
    The casual one, same gear and AAs to all players.
    The hardcore one, you get the gear and AA by pvping at the casual mode and then fight people who is equally geared with the same game experience. The reward here should be exclusive itens for your group/guild.

You see, mmorpg developers must create something that both sides would be very happy.
    Woha there!

It is hardcore to PvP on a new toon without gear and AA against overgeared and AAed players.

It is not hardcore to PvP on a overgeared and AAed toon against someone who doesn't have gear and AA.

So if rewards should be based on how "hardcore" a player's actions are, then the rewards system currently is epically screwed, since the overgeared / AAed guy gets all the rewards from winning minis and the new guy gets very little (unless he happens to be a group that is strong enough to compensate for his lack of gear and AA).

If you can think of a system that rewards players with power gear but does not lead to this type of perverse incentives, I'm all ears
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Technically you should get better gear the poorer stats you earn to keep the games competetive :P and worse gear the more you win.

Then the compettion could be who can kill pvp 10s naked, which is what pro guys really wanna do

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast