Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    They could use this as a base: https://wondernetwork.com/pings

So for example it tells you that the best possible latency from Stockholm to New York is 93ms - and that's not a latency players can dream of getting (ie. players will get a minimum of about 100ms with a very good connection and a home in the heart of Stockholm). And Moscow/New York best latency is 125ms. But the thing is people don't all live in a datacenter in a hub city with a fiber optic connection

So this just tells you the best latency you can aim for. No latency below 100 for Finland, for example.
    we need to know more about that site there only a 5ms diffence between madrid and berlin to Atlanta, distance wise we would expect a greater thaw

lisbon, the closest continental european city has 140.6ms, helsinki scores 138ms
    Last edited by barbaricwildcat2; 11th May 2013 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    They could use this as a base: https://wondernetwork.com/pings

So for example it tells you that the best possible latency from Stockholm to New York is 93ms - and that's not a latency players can dream of getting (ie. players will get a minimum of about 100ms with a very good connection and a home in the heart of Stockholm). And Moscow/New York best latency is 125ms. But the thing is people don't all live in a datacenter in a hub city with a fiber optic connection

So this just tells you the best latency you can aim for. No latency below 100 for Finland, for example.
    if this site is accurate, manchester would get 95ms from atlanta, the best in europe

if bergen is used (oslo isnt listed) varna would score worst with 75ms. u currently live in stockholm? ur latency will jump more than 6x if servers are moved to southeast USA.

if berlin is used, capital of the most populous european country, moscow scores worst with 58ms(compared 156ms in atlanta, essentially 3x less the performance.

this chart suggests that many locations in europe would keep europe as a whole around 50ms, i have no clue why FC would simply abandon that luxury and therefore let other companies use latency as a selling point for their product
    Last edited by barbaricwildcat2; 11th May 2013 at 04:17.

This chart is perfectly accurate, sometimes there are no direct routes between cities (or they are not the fastest route). And for example, there are cables from France to the US but they are much slower (90ms vs 65ms) than the US/UK ones: so packets from France to the US actually go through the UK if you have a good provider that wants to give you the best latency. Same story for Portugal/Spain, their packets go through France and then the UK before going to the US.

This is a good read too : http://royal.pingdom.com/2007/06/01/...limit-of-ping/ and here are the cables http://www.submarinecablemap.com/ (some of them are just projects though)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    this chart suggests that many locations in europe would keep europe as a whole around 50ms, i have no clue why FC would simply abandon that luxury and therefore let other companies use latency as a selling point for their product
    Yes, big games almost always have their European servers in Germany (or the Netherlands, like AoC back in the days) for a reason.

But for Eu/US server there is not really any ideal location. Maybe Ireland or the UK (would give many US players with good providers a sub 100 ping).
    Last edited by kalston; 11th May 2013 at 11:43.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

I been playing TSW today, just to try the game and get idea on latency. I was getting about 90-100 ping 95% of the time and im located in the UK. If this is gonna be same for AOC then i think i may possibly be able to live with that. I feel for my eastern EU mates though :-(.

Just thought id add, TSW is actually a pretty good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollastar View Post
    good game.
    define 'good game'

I logged on AoC TestLive. I had 100 ms to 144 ms. If AoC TestLive servers are located in US this will be totaly playable for me on live servers.

Im a PVE'er mostly and some PVP sometimes. Consider my self as a pretty decent PVP'er with nearly a total of 20000 kills +/-.

Did not notic any delay, if so its microscopic so it wont matter anyway. But ofc, the RTT/RTD will increase when moving servers further away from you.

Good luck!

An average ping of 36 to 65 in Age of conan, and I live in Sweden close to Gothenburg.

Will be fun to see if i will notice any difference!

I am away from aoc nearly 6 months. I live in İstanbul,Turkey. 20mbit fiber is my connection and i was playing with 75-120ms. Once i gave 1 year break coz of latency. My ms was around 150-200 and it was not playable. As a melee Player you have very low chance with +150 ms against an opponent which has Under 100ms. Dont compare Aoc with Tsw.. Latency is everything in Aoc..

Funcom is taking High risk this time. I hope they succeed. If they fail i am afraid but most of eu players will subscribe teso beta and spend their time by playing skyrim,gta5 till teso comes..

I have always had 120-160ms. Let us see how it changes.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

im happy to hear the pop is willing to cede latency for better pop

see u in the merged servers
    Last edited by barbaricwildcat2; 12th May 2013 at 18:29.