Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Central Europe

My ping on TL server ~150-170 ms (EMPTY SERVER), around 300-500 ms after merge when all people log in ?

Well if they really get better servers/improve the tech - maybe you can get the same as on TL (not that it's great...). But eh, I find it hard to believe. We'll see.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Well if they really get better servers/improve the tech - maybe you can get the same as on TL (not that it's great...). But eh, I find it hard to believe. We'll see.
    How could you not get the same as on Testlive? I mean, it is the same server setup...

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    How could you not get the same as on Testlive? I mean, it is the same server setup...
    I meant the same as on testlive even when the live server is loaded with people and activity.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    I meant the same as on testlive even when the live server is loaded with people and activity.
    Ah well, server framerate is not the same as latency though I guess it might seem the same to players.

Has anyone else done any testing? I've been playing on US servers with an 80 Sin and getting slaughtered in PvP (but that is because I am ****), but I am landing combos and hits with 120-130ms without any noticeable problems...

So far this thread has been pretty low on actual metrics from concerned people (thanks to those who have provided them and for the people who are threatening to quit if their latency goes above 100ms aren't you interested in helping us test?)

A final call needs to be made on this soon and the apparent disinterest from people means it is likely to go towards moving the servers right now.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 5th May 2013 at 21:53.

Ah well, server framerate is not the same as latency though I guess it might seem the same to players.
    Huum, who spoke of server framerate? What we are saying is that on live (at least Eu servers) our ping rises significantly when there is activity and many people online (Khesh on pvp server at peak times > I easily get +50ms average compared to my usual ping).

And the ping we see on testlive is the equivalent of the ping we get on live servers when there is low server activity or we are in an empty instance. Do you see now? So if I get 115ms on testlive and the server tech isn't noticeably better than on Eu servers I can expect 165ms average in Khesh at peak times. That's horrible when playing melee versus any competent player who knows how to move.

Want a real test? Then gather Eu players on Testlive, pvp server, Kheshatta and let's see. And also gather some US players to fight them.

But how can you speak of disinterest? I see quite a lot of different people posting in this thread... And this is only the English part of the forums. Have you asked the Russians how they feel about this? I'm pretty sure they represent a good part of your playerbase and they can't even dream of 100ms on US servers. 150-200 more like.

Maybe make a survey or something. Or at least an official thread?

Oh and what about sieges? Should I even mention the latency we get there? It's not even funny.
    Last edited by kalston; 6th May 2013 at 06:54.

A final call needs to be made on this soon and the apparent disinterest from people means it is likely to go towards moving the servers right now.
    How soon do you guys plan on doing the merging Joel?

Has anyone else done any testing? I've been playing on US servers with an 80 Sin and getting slaughtered in PvP (but that is because I am ****), but I am landing combos and hits with 120-130ms without any noticeable problems...
    I guess the question is, how do you play a Sin? Are you playing it in the gorilla warfare play style. Where you sneak up on someone, and burn them down before they have time to react? Thus not actually engaging a moving target. Or are you physically landing combos on moving targets. Bad PVPers stand still and try and duke it out with you 1 on 1, where as good PVPers will run circles around you all day to try and make you miss your combos. Without knowing your skill level, it's very hard to say if your capable of gauging this properly.

Have you considered the prospect of recruiting a well known Sin from the EU or US servers to test PVP across country to give you a better assessment of the situation? In the US there is a player named Facepoker on Set server, who's forum name is Fuzzyy. You may wish to contact this player and see if he'd be interested in testing, since the guy is the best Sin on the US servers period, so if the best Sin struggles playing on the EU side, and finds it rough to land combos in PVP, then you'd have a good handle on the situation I'd imagine. (I only suggest using a US player over an EU one since an EU one would have a biased opinion, where as a US player will not gain a thing regardless the latency)
    Last edited by Deathsader; 6th May 2013 at 04:11.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall-Zek View Post
    How soon do you guys plan on doing the merging Joel?
    Ops want to do it *soon*. That is moving the EU servers to the US server farm. Merging the servers is the step after that and might be a couple weeks later.

I am working with them to get a bigger picture of how this will affect the overall player base in europe.
    Last edited by Nusquam; 6th May 2013 at 08:39.

Has anyone else done any testing?
    Yes, some time ago We were on TL to check out the new T4, the Imp to the Emperor, etc. Playing the Mage class was unpleasant, not to mention the melee class, I cannot remember what was ms because it was a long time ago. * around 50-60 members online at that time.