Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Just wait and see how things turn out, The hitboxes in Age of conan isnt really complex... 100 in ping shouldnt be any problem at all. Just look at Counterstrike or Call of duty with 30 times more complex hitboxes, 100 in ping is working good there. The ping isnt the problem in age of conan, its the server tick/capacity, the servers cant leave out as much information as the clients crave, and therefor our clients stutter.. chillax.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    Just wait and see how things turn out, The hitboxes in Age of conan isnt really complex... 100 in ping shouldnt be any problem at all. Just look at Counterstrike or Call of duty with 30 times more complex hitboxes, 100 in ping is working good there. The ping isnt the problem in age of conan, its the server tick/capacity, the servers cant leave out as much information as the clients crave, and therefor our clients stutter.. chillax.
    Define 'working good' - competition is played between 0 and 60ms cos the netcode starts acting funky around 100ms.

And Eu vs US matches don't work well in any fast game, be it FPS or RTS or fighting game. 100ms is very optimistic and don't forget US players will get much less than that. Again, how much do you pvp? On what classes? Do you double tap knockback? Fight vs skilled opponents who know how to move?
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

The internet in america is in general worse than in eu, in tsw and american servers in for example cs americans can have worse ping then people from EU sometimes. And yes over 60 is not to recommend for esport in cs but its no problem, and those htboxes are like 20 htboxes working dynamicly to Movement, crouching, running. In aoc i wouldnt be surpriced if its only one static box..
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Yes the internet is the US is not great and "some" US players have problems but it's not like everyone in the Eu has a good connection - far from it. Oh and what about those players from (South) Africa, Middle East etc we have on Euro servers? It's already pretty awful for them atm, you don't want to know how much latency they'll get on US servers - it's not even funny. Really.

My ping on testlive is only 30ms higher than on live Eu servers (in idle areas) so if they really improve the server tech it could be for me roughly as playable on US servers as it is now on Eu servers (it still feels quite different though). But I live in Western Europe... My Russian or Finnish friends etc will certainly have a different story to tell. And what if they kept the Euro servers and improved the server tech there instead? I could easily get 20ms less and a stable ping (since I can easily ping Stockholm servers about 20ms lower outside the game)... and so could everyone else. (And then the difference between US and EU servers would be 50ms for me, not 30)

If you wanna check your best possible latency then :

US servers :
    ping -t aoc-us-um.live.ageofconan.com >> on testlive I get this +10ms (but empty server so meh...)

Eu servers :
    ping -t dm01-sto.ageofconan.com >> on live I get this +10-20ms in idle areas (and much much more when there's a few players and some activity)
    Last edited by kalston; 30th April 2013 at 10:33.

Yeah but they probably haven't even considered that option We could put servers in Greenland too - cheap cooling and high latency for everyone.
    Last edited by kalston; 30th April 2013 at 10:39.

Just checked connection to TL. From Poland through UPC it's like 120-150 ms
    aocfeats.com - Age of Conan feat planner
    Tutu - Dark Templar | Tuts - Bear Shaman | Nedbee - Demonologist

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    In addition AoC has movement tracking code and proper prediction (in other words built in protection against latency).

Neat. When is it going to be launched?
    ClengisKhan

Barbb, Serapha, Yatzi, Pallehysa, Bagpipe

Quote Originally Posted by clenghat View Post
    As an Australian playing on US servers I assure you it works. I constantly see people run 10 metres away in a straight line before teleporting back somewhere completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Some interesting discussion points. I am currently testing directly on AoC US and I have between 100 and 120ms.
    The US server farm is newer (therefore better stability in general as it was upgraded for TSW) and has more links.
    The EU server farm is in Stockholm (no idea why people think it is in Oslo and at our offices - never has been)
    The US servers are hosted in New Jersey.
    The tradeoff here is - higher latencies in EU for one server tech which equals higher population and more opponents in PvP/friends in PvE. That is what you should be evaluating.
    Moving the US servers to the EU to have the same effect is not financially feasible (we have the setup in the US, we do not have the setup in the EU).

What I would suggest is that people jump on the testlive server and test for themselves. I am listening to the feedback and we shall see.

Also I have seen a few comments about hitboxes - TSW has the same system for many of the abilities. There is no difference (in fact TSW hitboxes are smaller because we reduced their size during development) and there are similarities.

In addition AoC has movement tracking code and proper prediction (in other words built in protection against latency).
    The issue on financial feasibility may not be as straightforward as you imply. As I and others have pointed out, if our in game experience degrades noticeably then many people may well consider their future in the game.

At the very least those who currently plough the most money into the game may be the first to decide that they are the ones not willing to maintain their current spend should there be a noticeable degradation in their in-game experience.

I hope this works out as this is the best game I've ever played (spent more on this than everything else put together!) and I've spent a lot of time and effort building up characters so I'd hate to be turned off it by what would appear to be an executive decision.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by clenghat View Post
    Well, from reading Nusquam's post I'd say these technologies are already implemented. Which would be weird, as i have had situations with assassin for example, where getting too close to an enemy, as in standing rather on his feet than toe-to-toe, would cause combos to miss although on screen i had him right in front of me. Could reproduce that pretty easily, too.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast