Thread: Levelling Barb Questions

Lightbulb Levelling Barb Questions

Hello my fellow Barbarians. I had a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. I am new to Age of Conan but I've been playing MMOs for 8+ years.

I've just made my way out of Tortage and I'm in Cimmeria now. I'm lvl 20 and I'm playing my Barbarian 2 hander style and wrecking stuff all over. I was taking a look through my spell book and noticed I had like 6 ranks of Cunning strike already and I now have 2 ranks of Butcher. Now here is where I'm confused, I feel like I should be using the highest rank of Cunning strike because it does the most damage but Butcher rank 2 does less damage than Butcher rank 1. Is that normal? Should I have both Butchers on my action bars ? Are there cases where I should have multiple ranks of a skill on my actions bars?

In addition what about skills like Slam or Sweep? I took them off my bars because they seem to do crap damage and I feel like they are just skills that the game gives you to start with. Is that right ?

Lastly, I wanna know what are some feats to grab in my level range. I'm not really into the dual wield side of the Barb so should I stay out of the Reaver tree ? As of right now I do have 5 points in the first feat in the Reaver tree to grab the xtra weapon damage and 1 point to get Blitz ( I love this skill and can't play a melee class in any game that doesn't have a type of charge skill). All my other points have been in filling up the first feat in Berserker for the extra Constitution. Where should i go from there? The one that increases ur chance to crit everytime you don't get a crit looks cool. Any advice would help. TY.

Please feel free to keep this thread going as a place for Leveling Barbarians to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
    Hello my fellow Barbarians. I had a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. I am new to Age of Conan but I've been playing MMOs for 8+ years.

I've just made my way out of Tortage and I'm in Cimmeria now. I'm lvl 20 and I'm playing my Barbarian 2 hander style and wrecking stuff all over. I was taking a look through my spell book and noticed I had like 6 ranks of Cunning strike already and I now have 2 ranks of Butcher. Now here is where I'm confused, I feel like I should be using the highest rank of Cunning strike because it does the most damage but Butcher rank 2 does less damage than Butcher rank 1. Is that normal? Should I have both Butchers on my action bars ? Are there cases where I should have multiple ranks of a skill on my actions bars?

In addition what about skills like Slam or Sweep? I took them off my bars because they seem to do crap damage and I feel like they are just skills that the game gives you to start with. Is that right ?

Lastly, I wanna know what are some feats to grab in my level range. I'm not really into the dual wield side of the Barb so should I stay out of the Reaver tree ? As of right now I do have 5 points in the first feat in the Reaver tree to grab the xtra weapon damage and 1 point to get Blitz ( I love this skill and can't play a melee class in any game that doesn't have a type of charge skill). All my other points have been in filling up the first feat in Berserker for the extra Constitution. Where should i go from there? The one that increases ur chance to crit everytime you don't get a crit looks cool. Any advice would help. TY.

Please feel free to keep this thread going as a place for Leveling Barbarians to ask questions.
    Slam in pve pretty much useless after first levels, cunning strike also you should drop it soon. Use what gives best damage atm, later your main combo as zerker will be butcher(2 ranks of your choice mostly) and staggering blow with reverse swing feated. Devastation is crap so you should follow something like this http://goo.gl/4dgnl to lv40.

Try to use stuff that has the biggest finisher dps bonus - this is not a perfect rule, but works most of the time for most classes.

Keep in mind what direction the combo hits (little "notch" on the icon) - Butcher is your most powerful combo, but it sucks if the mob has stacked shields against it.

vicious strike and cunning strikes are viable till lvl 40 or so, after that butcher becomes stronger but you still have to watch for mob directional shields and use other combos like jagged cut, staggering blow or cos

Quote Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post

PvE speaking:
    - slam is useful only in first 5 levels to knockback targets
    - butcher will be your man combo as others already mention and you can use more than one rank because they dont share the cooldown, so if you hit with butcher 1, while you wait for its 3seconds cooldown you can hit butcher 2, and so on (staggering blows do the same)
    - mobs will put their shields on the side you hit butcher if you damage is high enough, in that case, to inflict a bit more, keep combining butcher combos and staggering blows because they hit on different sides (right and top respectively)
    - whenever you use stunning punch and/or clobber move your self behind or to the side of the target because this will "change" his shield (it doesnt actually change the shields, the perspective when attack changes) that way you hit the target with a butcher for example where the target as less or no shields (more damage)
    - while leveling you can still use the cunning strikes and vicious strikes but the higher you get the more you ignore it (does combos are more for start than higher lvl, same for the slam)
    - you can feat up on the zerker tree, 3 more combos to use (earth shatter that stuns anyone near, scatter foes that knockback anyone in front, and the decapitation that inflicts massive damage on target) - just explore and you will learn it

anyway, for pve, i prefer to go hybrid, but this requires changing weapons and you better get stuff all keybinded - the advantage of hybrid is simple, butcher hits on right side, when target changes shields you change weapons to use cyclone of steel, then change again to stun/kb if necessary, plus at lvl 80 you can get on the reaver side of the tree improvement to wreck armor and the dance of death ability that combined with all wreck armor combos you will kill at least 5 mobs of 2 level higher than yours (you can kill more with practice )
    here's the build i use for solo pve to fight lots and lots of mobs at the same time and survive - CLICK (i play with reaver stance and at the gates perk)
    for a zerker i would use something like this - CLICK

any of the builds i have here are not very useful for groups fights and not good for pvp, they are all for PvE solo (for pve groups you will reauire the stamina regen on the general tree for some fights and for pvp there's alot of different builds to put here)