Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New HoX Player

Default A New HoX Player

I like the idea, and what little I have played of a HoX so far. I know alot of people love them in PvP, but how do they stack up in PvE? Are the good in endgame, and solo stuff?

Yes, of course. Expect drawing some aggression and even feating Misdirection in some situations.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

HoX is awesome, probably the best class in AoC.

Performance wise, a good hox is a very valuable asset for a group/raid, it's got good CCs and massive burst, and it's designed for medium size AoE dps, which makes it the ideal dps class in several situations.

Solo is a blast, with a few frustrating spots where new mobs briefly outstrip your gear/ability pool (early 70s, early Khitai, etc.). When mobs are too powerful to mass-pull and AoE, you can usually still burn them down one at a time fast. When they are only 0-2 levels above, you can take 3+ no problem, 2-3x that with cooldowns, and then chain pull after pull like that with little downtime. Other classes can chain kills, but you'll do it fast and from the center of the action, which feels great. You will have days where you mysteriously die over and over, but just take a break and try again the next day.

As for endgame raids, I haven't done Tier 4 yet, but the short answer up to Tier 3 is that you just don't have the raw potential to top parses that several other classes have, especially for single-target fights (assuming equal gear and skill). Unlike the other AoE classes, we have to be in melee range to hit our AoE potential, and we have to contend with shield stacking, which means we have to be constantly fighting for positioning, and we depend a bit on luck. Yes, I do routinely top out parses, especially on overall damage, and even over people with much better gear than my latest HoX, but these aren't usually progression raids, so it's people on their alts or otherwise not as motivated (perhaps due to the HoX Factor: those rare few of us who have HoXes as our endgame mains tend to attack raids with something to prove, and that helps keep you motivated even when other players are splitting attention with their TV between boss fights. That focus leads to very good showings on parses. But still, all it takes is one Conq or DT or Necro or whatever with a Red Bull to keep you down 2-3. Or maybe I'm a baddie.)
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Speaking of endgame only:

Soloing is going to be very gear dependant, but also a lot around your cooldowns. With Phoenix Cloak and one transformation you can kill just about anything that comes your way, including a small horde of mobs higher than your own level. Without that, it can be dicey. Regardless they are perfectly fine to solo with (just like every other class).

For raiding I wouldn't worry so much about 'topping the parse' as that is really just relative to how good the rest of your DPS is - played well and with some gear they can easily 'top a parse' in a PUG raid. They remain competitive in even the best raids. In fight like Arbanus with top gear you could be exceeding 2k DPS. In fights with moderate amount of trash, a HOX truly excels.

They tend to be both very forgiving and unforgiving at the same time. They have really no true aggro dumps - there's a single AA one for all mages - but you get multiple rezzes that let you go a bit beserk at times without really being worried about the end result.

All in all they are a fantastic class. People generally underestimate them a great deal...
    Last edited by Boesch; 19th April 2013 at 08:07.

Red Shadows of Xotli is an "agro dump"...

Wow, I am somehow the guy who made it sound like all that matters is parses! That's a switch. Not only do I think you're doing yourself a massive favor not to worry about parses, but AoC's player base is pretty laid back about parsing; class balance in the group is a much bigger priority for most raids.

That said, I wish I liked Conqs more. Being able to equip almost all gear and weapons, switch roles when I got bored, top out parses when I cared ... Or Bear Shaman, for many of the same reasons, plus an original class design.

But nothing makes you feel quite as epic as immolating a group of bad guys from melee range while wearing a toga. I've got a DT and BS at 80, and Conqs and Barbs in their 50s, but three 80 HoXes don't lie.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Besides climbing and running, do the other skills come into play in PvE? Should I be keeping up on perception and hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by StygianNecro View Post
    Besides climbing and running, do the other skills come into play in PvE? Should I be keeping up on perception and hiding?
    No, Perception and Hiding aren't necessary for PVE.

But Funcom removed a bunch of skills, so now there are enough points to max out almost everything. E.g., on my new HoX, everything is 800 except Perception, which is 650ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    No, Perception and Hiding aren't necessary for PVE.

But Funcom removed a bunch of skills, so now there are enough points to max out almost everything. E.g., on my new HoX, everything is 800 except Perception, which is 650ish.
    i think max climbing points needed in game is 600 for climping at Atzels bridge.
    Jenyu - Assassin
    Lutheor - Herald Of Xotli
    Destiny

"Now you see me, now you don't"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast