Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BS trying to know how to play

There are no "healer" builds in AoC - you can heal just fine despite your build.

Feating all stuff that boosts healing skill will improve it only slightly, while it will decrease dps a lot.

The extra healing will only allow tanks to switch aggro with a bit more delay or allow you to better protect squishies f.e. against dots.

In most cases dps is more important and having less means the fight will be longer, thus you will have to heal more

Thanks for the info

I was looking at some healing figures and...

1) for 5 points you can get "Blood Healing": 6.5% increase Blood Flow.
    I tested it and I went from 192 + tic of 96 HP to 204 + tics at 102. By the end the difference is useless with its 132 HP.

2) for 2 points, you can get "Fierce healing" which increases "Fierce Recovery" by 10%. It is a total of 180HP. Pointless.

Why do not use those points on more interesting/less useless skills?

3) No priest seems to have points invested in the General tree. Sending something like 20 points there would allow to increase the range of healing spells (are 2 meters important?) or the efficiency of your healing and buff spells ("Spirit of Vitality").

4) To access to those levels, you can improve your weapon hitting power (+17.5% with "Exemplar" and 25% with "Vengeance of the Gods" which seems to good to be honest).

5) "Healing Spirit" is sad to increase the first effect of "Blood Flow" on the priest only. So it seems not as useful as it should be.

6) Yesterday we paid a visit to Uncle Atzel, the king of the snowy breztel, and I was OOM 5 or 6 time. Is it due to too much useless spell casting, a lack of stuff, a poor mana regeneration (37 natural / 137 out of fight) or low mana pool(3269)? Considering that, is it useful to invest in mana regen skills?

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKALL View Post
    1) for 5 points you can get "Blood Healing": 6.5% increase Blood Flow.
    I tested it and I went from 192 + tic of 96 HP to 204 + tics at 102. By the end the difference is useless with its 132 HP.
    You're looking at healing you receive, which is 50% of what non-healers get. (Sidenote: You can reduce that penalty to 25% with AA and even further with Healing Spirit from General)

Anyway, people you will be healing will receive ~408 and then ticks for 204. If you add extra healing from Rejuvenating Spirit (+8hps) and Manifestation of Regrowth (25-30hps?) it can make life easier in a few extremely rare cases (and that's when I'm using this), but it's never required. 99,99999% of time you won't be using that crap.

2) for 2 points, you can get "Fierce healing" which increases "Fierce Recovery" by 10%. It is a total of 180HP. Pointless.
    Even if you manage to crit it still will be nothing - again, it's a crap feat.

Why do not use those points on more interesting/less useless skills?
    Well, I don't see any reason not to do so

3) No priest seems to have points invested in the General tree. Sending something like 20 points there would allow to increase the range of healing spells (are 2 meters important?) or the efficiency of your healing and buff spells ("Spirit of Vitality").
    Keep checking General feats and you'll know why priests rarely use it. Here's my take on it from old forums:

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah
    I'll leave the PvP usefulness aside (though I suspect general tree has the same crappy oomph:cost ratio as for PvE).

Let's see:

Rejuvenating Spirit - makes your Renewal heal 72 instead of 64 [WEAK]

Spirit Armor - allows you to reach about 40% of physical mitigation which is still not enough even to off-tank in PvE... assuming you will be able to switch aggro with anyone this mitigation is completely obsolete, because un-avoidable physical damage is balanced for cloth/light armour [POINTLESS]

Saintly Warrior - it's not a reliable feat even for tanks (**** proc rate, barely noticeable effect) [RIDICULOUSLY WEAK]

Ether Discharge - returns mana for using Blood Flow, but we don't have mana problems [POINTLESS]

Guiding Spirit - removes cooldown on blue heal [POINTLESS]

Exemplar - one of the weakest dps buffs of all we can get, while being too deep in General [UNPROFITABLE]

Vengeance of the Gods - same as above [UNPROFITABLE]

Ether Flow - wow, whole 30NMR [POINTLESS]

All-Encompassing Spirit - extra 2m on blue heal... never been in a situation where I couldn't just move those 2m [POINTLESS]

Far Reaching Spirit - basically same as above; it may save some dps life, but that will happen VERY rarely [POINTLESS]

Presence of Mind - useful when you have that feat that makes your big heal deal dam... oh wait... if you rely on a single big heal to save the day (gained by loosing other useful feats), then you're doing it wrong [UNPROFITABLE]

Healing Spirit - useful for off-tanking [POINTLESS]

Spirit of Vitality - extra 500hp for everyone in the party? nice, but too expensive [UNPROFITABLE]

Grace - minus hate for BS? your tanks are doing it wrong... also consider not nuking Archfiend from the first milisecond in full dps gear [POINTLESS]

Vindicator - nice, but too expensive [UNPROFITABLE]

Shroud of the Gods - again, we don't have any aggro issues... certainly not worth spending 16 points in a neutered healbot tree [POINTLESS]

Spirit Aegis - several percent of magical mitigation, very nice... but we can't completely manage all the unavoidable magic damage with AA and some basic accessories [UNPROFITABLE]

Saintly Martyr - same as with Saintly Warrior... except even more useless (we have no mana issues) [POINTLESS]

Even if there's something useful in the General tree, it costs points we could use in Wrath/Spirits. Every point spend in General makes it harder (or impossible) to get Iron Hide, Mutilation, CotR or Rampage and without those our fangs and claws are really dull. Does your HoX has any points in General?

As for other classes - it's certainly a must for tanking and useful for overgeared sins and barbs, but the rest are better without it in PvE (save for some very specific encounters like Entity).
    It's different for other classes, because f.e. PoMs have some use of General in PvP. BS get too much ooomph for their class trees and they need every point to be spent there.

4) To access to those levels, you can improve your weapon hitting power (+17.5% with "Exemplar" and 25% with "Vengeance of the Gods" which seems to good to be honest).
    It's ******** feat - compare the buff value and it's uptime with what you loose from Spirit/Wrath.

This feat only works for PoMs if they have Immortal Wrath for nice burst (you can get it if you spec General for PvP or for fights where you can't deal low/mid-range damage).

5) "Healing Spirit" is sad to increase the first effect of "Blood Flow" on the priest only. So it seems not as useful as it should be.
    Exactly.

6) Yesterday we paid a visit to Uncle Atzel, the king of the snowy breztel, and I was OOM 5 or 6 time. Is it due to too much useless spell casting, a lack of stuff, a poor mana regeneration (37 natural / 137 out of fight) or low mana pool(3269)? Considering that, is it useful to invest in mana regen skills?
    Did you drink pots? You shouldn't run OOM with pots unless you're casting every spell you can including BF every 3s. Basically all mana users (except ToS) have to drink Moonspill ALL THE TIME, nothing wrong about it. As a BS you can actually manage mana using the pots less often, even without extra mana-regen feats - it's a matter of casting routine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to be clear about the builds - you should consider the first build from the "Smash guide": http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v3_11d3...ae943b0263b7f4
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 23rd April 2013 at 08:37.

Thx again Misuiggah for poiting out the unprofitable aspect of those skills and looking for your old post for the General tree explanations.
    I did not know that the DPS increases were short term buffs and not long/permanent ones.

At least I got a good answer at questions 2 and 5 ...

I'll go back to The Smashing guide and read it again now that things are clearer in my BS mal functionning brain.

Thx again Misuiggah for poiting out the unprofitable aspect of those skills and looking for your old post for the General tree explanations.
    I did not know that the DPS increases were short term buffs and not long/permanent ones.

At least I got a good answer at questions 2 and 5 ...

I'll go back to The Smashing guide and read it again now that things are clearer in my BS mal functionning brain.
    Exemplar works all the time, but you need to invest 20 points in general, which will cut you off from stuff like Mutilation, Claws of the Reaper or Rampage.

Vengeance of the Gods is a 10s buff with a 60s cooldown. 10s is enough to melt down another player with good burst (putting aside the fact that Rampage gives waaay more than that), but PvE fights are longer. If you would fight for 2min, then it means it would be up 1/6 of time - divide the damage buff by 6 and tell me if it's any good
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 23rd April 2013 at 10:17.

- Things are a bit clearer now thx to your help and the sticky about BS.

I was looking for some info about the second way of developping with the perks. Which ones are to be fitted first and which ones are useless?
    Actually, I dropped 5 points in red and blue in order to get to the grey section trying to activate "sleuth of bears" (?) and developping off line the perk to counter Ruins.
    Any advice about that plz?

- I read i another post thatyou were spamming the blue heal. But it doesn't seem to givve you the increased heal due to Wrath of Nature x10. To get it, I have the impression that the first blue heal has to be finished.
    But if I want to get Blood Warrior (3 seconds of timer difference with blue heal) all the time, I cannot get that heal bonus .

Actually, I dropped 5 points in red and blue in order to get to the grey section trying to activate "sleuth of bears" (?) and developping off line the perk to counter Ruins.
    Any advice about that plz?
    Well, get both of them ASAP - these are most important perks for PvE. Steadfast Faith has higher priority as it's required for many dungeons. Sleuth provides extra healing, but requires decent heal rating to be really good.

Then you should think about Empowered Mending, Pressing/Decisive Strikes, Vision of Sky, protections etc. - lots of stuff

- I read i another post thatyou were spamming the blue heal. But it doesn't seem to givve you the increased heal due to Wrath of Nature x10. To get it, I have the impression that the first blue heal has to be finished.
    But if I want to get Blood Warrior (3 seconds of timer difference with blue heal) all the time, I cannot get that heal bonus .
    If I said I'm spamming blue heal I meant that I don't care how often I cast it - I focus on keeping it on whoever needs it and keeping Blood Champion up. The rest is irrelevant (unless you're a robot).
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 28th April 2013 at 12:14.

OK, understood

1) Why "Empowered renewal". It is said in the Smashing guide to time it with a big finisher.
    It needs some practice so are those points the best choice as it wil mostly used on the opener hit, which is not a great one.

2) Isn't Winter's bite (Mani of Winter) worht the points?. Is it too specific to be really useful?

1) Sometimes you have to ask yourself - "Do I have a better alternative?" At this point you can either feat Balance of Nature (useless after the sprint revamp) or Endurance of the Bear (gives ~30hps at 5pts - pfff). Even if ER would give 5% combo damage bonus, I would still feat it.

ER can be used very often and you can score 4k white hits and some really nasty combo hits (also 3-4k each).

2) In PvE there's like one boss where you can drain mana and snare is even less useful. Manifestation DoT damage is laughable.

I read in the old forum that IB 2 was better than IB4 with a good weapon...
    You said you will be doing some testing by yourself. Got any conclusion ?

Considering Balance of Nature, it seems that when I am fighting in HM with it, tanks and DPS can spam their attacks without any problem and can see a great difference with and without the skill activated.
    Last edited by SHAKALL; 10th May 2013 at 20:31.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast