Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the reaver barb in pvp?

Default the reaver barb in pvp?

yes, is the reaver barb playable in pvp mini-games at this moment as much as the zerker???
    in my opinion, NO (unless your group has decent healing and even so), and this is why IMO:

the zerker tree has its damage tools and survival tools balanced plus the CC combos, 2xKB (clober and scatter foes), 3xSTUN (stunning punch, earth shatter and no escape) and 1xSNARE (stunning punch feated), and no anit-CC tool (need to go general for them except the perk)
    so, overall, while playing with a zerker stance, meaning a barb heals up the more he stays on fight, at the same time he has lots of tools to compensate the lack of dps and give a burst damage here, a burst there and so on (not against all classes i know) but if the team sucks or not the zerker barb can fight pretty well enough on group or 1vs1

now, the reaver tree, on the other hand, has lots and lots of damage stuff but it delivers very low damage no matter how many stacks of reaver you have and survival is almost NULL, so, if this tree its made to inflict insane damage with the cost of survival, i understand, but the truth is that the damage it delivers is way too low for the lack of survival that it has and a reaver barb doesnt have any CC abilities at all (im not sure but i think all classes have some kind of CC with their weapons, conqs have no matter if is DW or 1Handed, guards have not matter if using s&s or spear, etc), the only useful thing in terms of survivla is the anti-CC Unstable Mind.
    so, overall, the reaver barb has lots and lots and lots of dps tools, but 80% of them useless and at the same time, useless or no survival abilities, not even for pve the survival stuff is useful and from what i found only the shrapnel and dance of death are useful damage burst and maybe the impale (single white hit to put a dot) and armaggedon falls, but they are at the bottom of the tree, has they should be, but to reach them, barb needs to spent mostly useless points somewhere (using perks like what it takes, tools at hands, determination, doesnt come handy enough to make a difference when on reaver stance)

i have some ideas to improve the reaver tree (not revamp only some changes/tweaks), has many of you also have, but i dont want to put them here, at least not now, and one of the reasons is because funcom doesnt give a s*** about them, even if the community say its cool (mine and/or others), another reason is the fact that mages are waiting for the revamps, let them come first, conqs/poms balanced and less overpowered (some sins stuff also) and ranger im not even gonna say (for the moment i dont even consider it an AOC class)...

anyway, do you feel the same as me about the reaver barb or i am 100% wrong???
    - for pvp duel fights i feel its 80% (or more) useless;
    - for pvp grouping its a bit different, its better than 1vs1 and delivers good dps with wreck armors (similar to hox pillar flames) but has long as no one tries to kill you (sins for example inflict more damage than reaver barb and if they get attack, even by more than one player, they still can run away and survive)
    - for pve soloing its good but lack the cc's on mobs
    - for pve group fights its good enough and has lots of dps to deliver on single target if feated right

so, it seems zerker barb is more for pvp and reaver for pve, but why does it have to be like that, why cant a barb choose to be reaver for pvp? zerker on pve still works well enough, ive tried, but reaver only works on pve and not pvp

to tell you the truth i tried reaver for at least a month on minigames and using the perks DETERMINATION to hold the reaver stacks and the perk WITHOUT WARNING to increase the chance on getting stacks, and the problem is always the same, stay alive time enough to kill anyone on 1vs1, without using any cc, since the DW doesnt have any, only changing weapons im able to survive on 1vs1 fight

i also now how hybrid barbs can be dangerous, and i also like it, but the biggest problem for that build is the LAG (something that will always be there), because you have to change weapons to use CC's and other stuff (staggering blow for example) and 0.5 seconds necessary to change the weapons plus any other small lag secodns, its enough to make a difference when fighting on pvp where you get killed or be killed

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    yes, is the reaver barb playable in pvp mini-games at this moment as much as the zerker???
    in my opinion, NO (unless your group has decent healing and even so), and this is why IMO:

the zerker tree has its damage tools and survival tools balanced plus the CC combos, 2xKB (clober and scatter foes), 3xSTUN (stunning punch, earth shatter and no escape) and 1xSNARE (stunning punch feated), and no anit-CC tool (need to go general for them except the perk)
    so, overall, while playing with a zerker stance, meaning a barb heals up the more he stays on fight, at the same time he has lots of tools to compensate the lack of dps and give a burst damage here, a burst there and so on (not against all classes i know) but if the team sucks or not the zerker barb can fight pretty well enough on group or 1vs1

now, the reaver tree, on the other hand, has lots and lots of damage stuff but it delivers very low damage no matter how many stacks of reaver you have and survival is almost NULL, so, if this tree its made to inflict insane damage with the cost of survival, i understand, but the truth is that the damage it delivers is way too low for the lack of survival that it has and a reaver barb doesnt have any CC abilities at all (im not sure but i think all classes have some kind of CC with their weapons, conqs have no matter if is DW or 1Handed, guards have not matter if using s&s or spear, etc), the only useful thing in terms of survivla is the anti-CC Unstable Mind.
    so, overall, the reaver barb has lots and lots and lots of dps tools, but 80% of them useless and at the same time, useless or no survival abilities, not even for pve the survival stuff is useful and from what i found only the shrapnel and dance of death are useful damage burst and maybe the impale (single white hit to put a dot) and armaggedon falls, but they are at the bottom of the tree, has they should be, but to reach them, barb needs to spent mostly useless points somewhere (using perks like what it takes, tools at hands, determination, doesnt come handy enough to make a difference when on reaver stance)

i have some ideas to improve the reaver tree (not revamp only some changes/tweaks), has many of you also have, but i dont want to put them here, at least not now, and one of the reasons is because funcom doesnt give a s*** about them, even if the community say its cool (mine and/or others), another reason is the fact that mages are waiting for the revamps, let them come first, conqs/poms balanced and less overpowered (some sins stuff also) and ranger im not even gonna say (for the moment i dont even consider it an AOC class)...

anyway, do you feel the same as me about the reaver barb or i am 100% wrong???
    - for pvp duel fights i feel its 80% (or more) useless;
    - for pvp grouping its a bit different, its better than 1vs1 and delivers good dps with wreck armors (similar to hox pillar flames) but has long as no one tries to kill you (sins for example inflict more damage than reaver barb and if they get attack, even by more than one player, they still can run away and survive)
    - for pve soloing its good but lack the cc's on mobs
    - for pve group fights its good enough and has lots of dps to deliver on single target if feated right

so, it seems zerker barb is more for pvp and reaver for pve, but why does it have to be like that, why cant a barb choose to be reaver for pvp? zerker on pve still works well enough, ive tried, but reaver only works on pve and not pvp

to tell you the truth i tried reaver for at least a month on minigames and using the perks DETERMINATION to hold the reaver stacks and the perk WITHOUT WARNING to increase the chance on getting stacks, and the problem is always the same, stay alive time enough to kill anyone on 1vs1, without using any cc, since the DW doesnt have any, only changing weapons im able to survive on 1vs1 fight

i also now how hybrid barbs can be dangerous, and i also like it, but the biggest problem for that build is the LAG (something that will always be there), because you have to change weapons to use CC's and other stuff (staggering blow for example) and 0.5 seconds necessary to change the weapons plus any other small lag secodns, its enough to make a difference when fighting on pvp where you get killed or be killed
    Well if you decide to be reaver barb for pvp its viable but completely different playstyle, you rush in do your dmg and rush out with anti cc (and you have plenty of those). You dont have to rely on high stacks of reaver to do dmg. Dod, impale, armagedon can deal some nice dmg, and if you use bone shatter or jagged cut you have pretty nice dot to. Good thing is nobody cant stop you from dishing your dmg cause you can preemptive use your anti cc if needed.
    And you do have 2 cc, its not that hard to switch weapons and land that knock or stun.
    Its all about taste i guess, the thing that bit annoys me with full reaver/general is you have to wait for cd to deal your big dmg.
    With all bufs up and atg you can almost 1 shot clothie.
    For instance on testlive i just did 8.5k dmg on straw man with ww5, dod, impale, armagedon falls and atg, and 11k with same bufs, atg and jagged cut 3 and WA 4 (wa did crit though), or almost 7k with bone shatter, dod, impale and armagedon. So yes it can dish dmg but its cd reliant.
    So as reaver barb you dont go in to cc team but to dish some nice aoe dmg and nice dots.

Upheavel actually does a ton more damage than ATG, problem is it's such a long animation that your such a target while your doing it.

The stacks from Blood Rage suck now, having been playing a Barb for the past few weeks I can't really tell where it makes a difference. I remember fighting chimerical and guisorz and getting them to 30% only to watch them heal back to 90 5 seconds later, Blood rage is nothing like that anymore.

So to me it does not seem to matter what stance your running. Reaver is actually pretty viable with Unstable Mind. If you spec Escape Artist and EB along with Liberation you should harly ever get cced.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    Upheavel actually does a ton more damage than ATG, problem is it's such a long animation that your such a target while your doing it.

The stacks from Blood Rage suck now, having been playing a Barb for the past few weeks I can't really tell where it makes a difference. I remember fighting chimerical and guisorz and getting them to 30% only to watch them heal back to 90 5 seconds later, Blood rage is nothing like that anymore.

So to me it does not seem to matter what stance your running. Reaver is actually pretty viable with Unstable Mind. If you spec Escape Artist and EB along with Liberation you should harly ever get cced.
    True upheaval deals huge dmg but it is slow and i prefer boneshatter for aoe and nice range.
    And if you are reaver barb i would also spec agile mind to. you just have to rely on anti cc

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    Well if you decide to be reaver barb for pvp its viable but completely different playstyle, you rush in do your dmg and rush out with anti cc (and you have plenty of those). You dont have to rely on high stacks of reaver to do dmg. Dod, impale, armagedon can deal some nice dmg, and if you use bone shatter or jagged cut you have pretty nice dot to. Good thing is nobody cant stop you from dishing your dmg cause you can preemptive use your anti cc if needed.
    And you do have 2 cc, its not that hard to switch weapons and land that knock or stun.
    Its all about taste i guess, the thing that bit annoys me with full reaver/general is you have to wait for cd to deal your big dmg.
    With all bufs up and atg you can almost 1 shot clothie.
    For instance on testlive i just did 8.5k dmg on straw man with ww5, dod, impale, armagedon falls and atg, and 11k with same bufs, atg and jagged cut 3 and WA 4 (wa did crit though), or almost 7k with bone shatter, dod, impale and armagedon. So yes it can dish dmg but its cd reliant.
    So as reaver barb you dont go in to cc team but to dish some nice aoe dmg and nice dots.
    yes, it is completely different from zerker, and the fun part is that everyone expects a zerker barb to do the old MO then get against a reaver and dont know what he is going to do

for the damage in the dummy you, its true, the damage is HIGH, but for example the whirlwind V animation is long long long, i used it mostly when a target is on low health to kill him when is running way (already on dots from jagged cut is basically dead if is clothie)

but, for example, the SEVER full feated only delivers ~140 damage no matter how many stacks you have and even worse its rare to deliver that amount even on the dummie - is it broken or something? at least if the chance to inflict that damage where higher like for example 80% chance of hit, i would understand the low damage cause the chance is high and higher damage+chance starts to become overpower, and on the other hand, with the chance being SO LOW, i could at least inflict damage based on stacks - so this as to be broken/bugged somehow (not even at low level pvp makes any use);
    another good example is the overpower that delivers ~500 on 10 stacks of reaver when full feated - how often we reach that amount of stacks on pvp with the hit and run tactic?? and we need to put 5 points on it to be able to use impale or reach the armageddon, is it balanced enough? (these extra points could be used for antiCC in the general for example or some extra protection/armor);
    the thir ability is the back in fray that gives you a total of 765 heal divided into 3x255 (also gives 3% immunity/evade lolololol) - how useful is that? and it even steal 5 reaver stacks

heres an example of build i would like to use: CLICK
    - i would prefer to use points on sever instead of full feated blitz for example, because the sever deals damage to any combo or hit and blitz is only used when chasing someone, but i cant use cause its not worth it, so i have to go for the tactic of "blitzing" someone on the run with a high damage and killing him (that is nice at least )
    - i had to spent 5 points on overpower to reach impale and then spent another 5 points to get a full impale (or even armaggedon if i wanted it), but the 5 points on the overpower could easily be used on the general tree to get more antiCC or armor/protection since reaver barb is a bit more squishy than zerker unless, of course the damage from overpower on 5 points would make a difference - just check the assassin corruption tree where you spend 5 points to whirwind combo that delivers 3k damage on target (and a lot on anyone close also) then the 5 points to vile corruption which is combo damage increase passively and then the good old AoD (armaggedon falls its a level 10 ability compared to that)
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 13th April 2013 at 13:22.

Drop brutality and lethality and take Armageddon falls/atrocity

You already oneshot enemies with reaver buffs on so why take lethality

4 points from blitz to cyclone buff

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post

true, lethality dont make big impact with 1he.
    And i dont know why is it but i jusr cant see builds you post

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    heres an example of build i would like to use: CLICK
    - i would prefer to use points on sever instead of full feated blitz for example, because the sever deals damage to any combo or hit and blitz is only used when chasing someone, but i cant use cause its not worth it, so i have to go for the tactic of "blitzing" someone on the run with a high damage and killing him (that is nice at least )
    - i had to spent 5 points on overpower to reach impale and then spent another 5 points to get a full impale (or even armaggedon if i wanted it), but the 5 points on the overpower could easily be used on the general tree to get more antiCC or armor/protection since reaver barb is a bit more squishy than zerker unless, of course the damage from overpower on 5 points would make a difference - just check the assassin corruption tree where you spend 5 points to whirwind combo that delivers 3k damage on target (and a lot on anyone close also) then the 5 points to vile corruption which is combo damage increase passively and then the good old AoD (armaggedon falls its a level 10 ability compared to that)
    Many classes have broken or not that useful feats so i dont see reason why to cry so much about overpower. You cant compare that to sin, but even if you do you never mentioned that impale is good if not better than vile corruption on sin.
    And beside reaver barb have decent feat on left side of tree wich avatar dont. lashing sword, shrapnel and rupture armor are great.

I agree with you that first feats in reaver are not good and are simply used to go further down.
    But honestly you cant ask from sever do do some superb dmg for passive ability and one at top of the tree. but it does need some rework

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post

the build is just an example, i putted points in lethality to fill in and brutality for fun, but the armageddon falls, i still dont see how it works, combos inflict more damage? additional damage (white hits) occur on combos? dunno really

for the CoS buffs, the ones with critical chance on opening, i dont put them cause im used to not use the combo opener hit (gives me -5% combo damage i know), but with everyone jumping like pokemons to evade hits, its not easy to hit the first hit (or even some other hits) so i prefer to spend it on blitz, that way i get more chance of hitting

You cant compare that to sin, but even if you do you never mentioned that impale is good if not better than vile corruption on sin.
    impale IS GREAT, no doubt in that

But honestly you cant ask from sever do do some superb dmg for passive ability and one at top of the tree. but it does need some rework
    no need for high damage burst if the chance of it is higher, leave the damage as it is --- test on dummie and you will see how many times the sever hits it (10% or less)
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 13th April 2013 at 14:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast