Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on playing a Necro

Default Tips on playing a Necro

Hello!

Before I begin, I am currently level 74 but am leveling quickly and should be 80 by the time of next week or so. I know I'm not a low level, but I'm basically level 34, as I used 40 offline levels[30->70]. I've been playing for a while since using them so I understand bits and bobs, but I just want a thorough reading on how to play my Necro well.. so I don't look like a berk when I hit 80 and begin to raid/pvp.

Anyway!

After reading some of the forum threads on Necromancers, I have a good few questions that have yet to be answered.

I've looked all over the internet and have not come across a decent guide [I may have missed some, so if you know of any; please link!]. Also, I know it can be long winded, but can you refrain from using abbreviations as seeing PoM and MotD could cause me some confusing and it will stop me from having to looking it up.. please, however, feel free to type "Mark of the Devourer[MotD]" etc, so I can get used to using them!

The questions I have boiling inside of me are;

PvP rotation
    ---- I know you cannot have a legitimate rotation as scenarios whilst fighting can change almost instantaneously, even if you're controlling the fight and different classes would require different ways of fighting. I just want a light rotation which I can follow, for e.g.

Melee
    -Freeze
    -DOTs
    -Fear
    -Slow
    -DMG spells (which are best?)
    -Root(Unholy Hands)
    -Freeze

Rinse and repeat [in a way]

What are the essential spells that I need to hit the enemy with?

Minions
    ---- I understand it depends on your feat. build, but what are the best pets to use?

At the moment, I am currently going around with 5 Corruptors, 1 Life Stealer and a Reaper with the Grim Corruptor feat.

This seems to work OK, though I struggle to know when to pull out another minion when under what situation. I use the exploding minion when I'm about to engage another player and quickly spawn a corruptor to replace the spot. I don't know if it's worth using Arch Magus or whatever [Can't remember the names of other minions]

3#
    Damage
    ---- As I said, I'm currently level 74 and I don't know if I'm doing well in my play. When I say this, I don't mean in my rotation or whatever - I have a PvE rotation which works well [whether my build is wrong or what, I don't know] but my minions will easily kill a monster before I get halfway down another's health. So my question here is; is this normal?

I have[if memory serves me right] around 550 Bonus Unholy Spell Damage. The other elements are around the same. I have decent gear from purchasing off the trader; most of it is Fine Silk stuff and a staff [idk the name] which has +120 Intelligence and [I think] +200 odd mana? It's a level 70 or 71 requirement blue item so.

As I said - my gear isn't bad, but my DPS seems to be pants.

If you could post a nice PvE, Questing and PvP feat. tree for me, that would be great. I would post my own, however I am in work, bored, and am unable to check my own. I'll edit this when I get back home and link my gear and feats.

If you have a good tree and a nice rotation, please share - I would appreciate other people's methods!

Dungeons
    ---- I would like to start going through some dungeons for gear, exp and personal experience in that sort of environment to prepare me for level 80.

What would be the best way to gathering a group? And what dungeons would you advise I go to? I'm a bit of a gear whore, so anywhere which drops some sexy Necro gear will be ideal!

I have no problem learning tactics etc as any dungeon mentioned, I will look up for information on the net!

---- Gaining gold.
    This is probably the most popular question asked in any online game.
    Through my history of gaming, I've noticed that getting gold is best earned through hard gathering, crafting and knowing how to work the auction house. Is it the same detail for AoC?

Questing gives some decent change, but it's not really that great when you're looting a level 75 monster and it gives you 30 copper and then getting 5 silver for doing the quest. It takes time and frankly, when I'm level 80 trying to get gear and raid, doing quests won't be the first thing I'll jump to. It's fun for a short while, but the flame quickly burns out.

The Expansion.
    ---- Is it really worth getting the Khitai expansion? What extras does it give?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will appreciate any help given to me by you guys!
    Last edited by GethinJ; 11th April 2013 at 19:38.

pvp stuff

pets suck in minigames you get no kills and your range dps burst aint that good.
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1296...4ba61443815182
    this is what i use in minigames try and be ranged behind team and sw to gain deathgod

pets are great for world pvp and duels.
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1291...48ea1443814a79

3reapers+2lifestealers or 2 bloodarcanists depending who your fighting.
    use general of the dead when you see your pets going down and use no rest for the dead if your pets all dead mid fight, also general hits pretty hard so he will deal extra dps while he lasts.
    sw in duels or world pvp might get you killed try and avoid it unless your certain you can do it safely
    Code:
    Your Mark of the Devourer Healing critically heals you for 290.
    Your Mark of the Devourer heals you for 514.
    You are healed for 13 (health tap).
    Your Mark of the Devourer Healing heals you for 161.
    You are healed for 12 (health tap).
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 187.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 175.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 161.
    Your Lifestrike (Rank 5) heals you for 540.
    You are healed for 14 (health tap).
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 158.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 162.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 176.
    Your Mark of the Devourer Healing critically heals you for 290
    Your Mark of the Devourer heals you for 311.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 168.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 134.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 168.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 178.
    Your Blood Arcanist's Blood Arcanist heals you for 189.
    You are healed for 14 (health tap).
    Your Lifestrike (Rank 5) critically heals you for 1243.
    some numbers so you realize the self healing power of that build with bloodarcanists, these numbers arent related to your magic damaged coeficients, only your crit rating to have more % of crits.

also keep in mind despite weird set's cold hatred will grant more power to bloodarcanists+general of the dead, unlike it does 1 point pets wich hardly grants them any bonus

you will gain fixed amount of selfheals from each person you doted individualy motd, also if you using bloodarcanists keep an eye out to quickly use general of the dead those pets comit suicide to heal you^^.

unholy hands is awfull spell a single white hit will break it rendering it useless.

there wont ever be any manual for easymode pvping with necro (or anyother class in aoc)
    you will die a lot untill you learn what each class can do against you and to learn to recognize those combos/abilities and start to act instictively to deal with it.

first thing you should do unfortunatly is do some pve :>
    if you start pvping strait away at lvl80 you will experience endless rezfarming and most likely will be oneshoted by everyone
    get a few protection wards from aa's and max out ethereal escape, get supreme lich perk then start to do minigames.

best way to train pvp is actualy pve too :>

go in keshatta epic and learn to kill bosses there by yourself timming your cc's and learning how to move is essential.
    alternatively the onyx epic mobs are good training too.
    ask people your lvl range to do duels so you can slowly learn diferent class abilities in a semi controled way and you get chance to practice.
    if your on a pve server cimmerian end, aquilonian end and border to kush are pvp enabled areas where you can duel.
    its prefered you duel in pvp enabled areas so you gain something if you get kill, in the "guild renown" duel areas you wont get shlt.

bestway to gain gold is:
    farm shards in w1 and sell them or farm shards craft an ibis and sell ibis.
    alternatively some rare recipes will provide you means to craft sellable items with some minor success, the stuff that currently sells most is all alchemy/tradeskill mats associated to ibis and t3 crafted items.

btw for optimal aoc experience after reaching lvl80 subscribe and explore kithai its well developed and fun and the quests and trash selling will provide you enough gold to buy your gear, also factions provide very good quality gear, both scarlet cicle/brittle blade blue+purple sets are very good, other faction have avaible a multitude of other items wich are interesting.
    a mixed set of bband sc will work better for pvp then t1 pvp gear, later on reaching pvp6 a mix of kithai gear+t2 pvp gear is optimal.

best gear available being t4 raid gear + pvp t3, a mix of both sets or swapping gear according to enemies is optimal.
    you can check out most aoc gear and stats here
    http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory.php

my advise if you aim playing necro as main character is take it slow dont subscribe yet enjoy a few old world dungeons try and do some t1-t2 pugs so you get a bit more experienced with game mechanics
    join a friendly guild i advise any guild lead by remnants of aquilonia server on fury.

then get expantion and subscribe and start doing kithai faction pve and enjoy the ganking during your quests try and team up with a friend or guildie for questing can be hard on a noob to run around questing in fury many russians ready to lag you dead^^.

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1296...4ba6148e914438
    this is a bad spec for me because i have the best gear in game and all the aa's i can afford to spec optimized specs,
    but this might be a survivor build for you to go around questing in kithai or keshatta.
    as you progress in gear and aa's you will be able to use maybe the builds i posted first.

melee pets oveall suck in pvp they simply die to fast even with general of the dead.
    some particular classes like dueling a dt the more melee pets the more his mana will go down and the more damage you will do but he can do 1 combo and almost kill them all, especialy given pets protection is linked to your own stats.
    the pets i mentioned work better especialy with the pet build i linked i have blood arcanists often giving 170-190 heals to me during combat for example.

its very very very, very important that you get a custumized ui(i sugest stonerune) and enable left portrait target friendly spells enabled else you will be wasting your cc's and dps spells while your enemy has an imunnity buff running or an anti cc.
    you can get a ui here:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/aoc

equaly important is you will never do well in pvp unless you have bare minimum cc's and anti cc's keybinded!!!

i sugest you use q-e-1-2-3 to bind the cc's and anti cc's would be equaly nice to key bind ftw and motd
    avoid clicking all your spells!!! try and move slowly at your own pace to haveing a few more binds every week
    an easy trick is having same spell binded on same key but holding down alt+key (just try it and you will see what i mean) it will minimize amount of keybinds(less piano playing your keyboard)

hard part is starting to use shields in pvp just start by everytime your fighting a ranger dont let him get behind you ever and use as fast as you can control+2(hit twice) after you swap target or ranger is dead quickly hit control+4(twice)

just dont get overwhelmed by sheer amount of spells and pets necromancer has take your time go slow do some pve duels with friends and try and solo some epic mobs on your own
    and be sure to read tooltips on every spell and make sure you have correct highest rank of every spell given you used offline lvl's

also dont forget to learn to use tome of epithur+icestrike or deathly blizzard its good lifesaver both in pvp and solo pve

have fun
    Last edited by noite80; 11th April 2013 at 22:57.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Make sure you upgraded your spells, I dont think they do it if you use offline levels...

Quote Originally Posted by noite80 View Post
    have fun

Wasn't going to quote the whole message, but how very in depth! Cheers mate, I appreciate every letter you put down there. Thank you, it's helped a lot! I'm back home now and will try it out!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GethinJ View Post
    Anyway!

PvP rotation
    ---- I know you cannot have a legitimate rotation as scenarios whilst fighting can change almost instantaneously, even if you're controlling the fight and different classes would require different ways of fighting. I just want a light rotation which I can follow, for e.g.

Melee
    -Freeze
    -DOTs
    -Fear
    -Slow
    -DMG spells (which are best?)
    -Root(Unholy Hands)
    -Freeze

Rinse and repeat [in a way]

What are the essential spells that I need to hit the enemy with?
    Hello

Pretty sure Freeze and Fear share the same global immunity so you wont be able to cast them in the same rotation, but you should be able to cast freeze and snare - maybe root too.

Only cast freeze defensively or if you have the advantage of terrain or if enemy is trying to escape. you cant stand toe to toe with most classes and blast it out you can wreck whole teams though if you have good placement.

If youre not being focused and can get in melee range (as in when the enemy team are focusing on one of your tanks or another player):

Cast Pest Blast on a player
    Cast gang stench
    cast worms
    cast plague swarm (if feated)
    cast motd
    run in
    cast blas ruin
    detonate PB with chill
    cast icestrike (it will be instant cast with all of the other damage occuring).
    Root as many people as possible then get out and start again.

In that perfect scenario you have done as fresh 80, no gear player:
    ~600 damage from PB dot on main target
    ~500 damage from GangSt (to all players)
    ~4000 damage over time from worms (more if you have AAs and FTW feated) to all players with plague swarm
    ~1500 damage from motd dot (over time)
    ~600 damage from plague swarm hit
    ~1000 damage from chill detonate main target ~ 800 to surrounding targets
    ~600 damage from Blas ruin to all targets in area
    ~1000 damage from IS, ~700 damage to surrounding players

all in about 10 seconds from start to finish
    Damage is will be higher once you get gear.

If not in melee range the forget Gang Stench, Blas ruin.
    **Numbers might be lower if using pets

Hi guys. I kind of hijack this thread because I just rolled a Necro. (Well actually it's a old toon, but along with the ranger, I have to struggle to find the will to play it, because for now I find it kinda boring, at least at low level)

So, since I'm getting out of tortage, I was slowly looking into tips and tricks for the necro. I don't plan to play PVP, and not high-end PVE for now since I already have tons of toons to do that.

I'm looking for a viable but fun way to play my necro. I don't really need a "super-optimized" build if that mean to do a boring 4-step rinse and repeat combo rotation. even if it means that I will struggle a bit more something.

But It seems there's a lot of useless spell, even right now. I mean, Blizzard sounded awesome (Double debuff and damage ? Cool dude!), but I find it very weak and it might be only usefull to pull a group a mob and just getting the first tick to debuff them. Or am I wrong ? For what I read on the forum, Gelid Bone is crap. But does it get better if with the feat that increase the damage and turn it into a snare ?

Also, what about Grip of Death ? "Back in the days", I was seeing Necro with "Shatter" frequently, now it seems that people have stop feating it. Shatter at least sound fun to use, but you need to spend 5 points in Grip of Death, and if it's another useless channeling spell like Blizzard, I might forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    Hi guys. I kind of hijack this thread because I just rolled a Necro. (Well actually it's a old toon, but along with the ranger, I have to struggle to find the will to play it, because for now I find it kinda boring, at least at low level)

So, since I'm getting out of tortage, I was slowly looking into tips and tricks for the necro. I don't plan to play PVP, and not high-end PVE for now since I already have tons of toons to do that.

I'm looking for a viable but fun way to play my necro. I don't really need a "super-optimized" build if that mean to do a boring 4-step rinse and repeat combo rotation. even if it means that I will struggle a bit more something.

But It seems there's a lot of useless spell, even right now. I mean, Blizzard sounded awesome (Double debuff and damage ? Cool dude!), but I find it very weak and it might be only usefull to pull a group a mob and just getting the first tick to debuff them. Or am I wrong ? For what I read on the forum, Gelid Bone is crap. But does it get better if with the feat that increase the damage and turn it into a snare ?

Also, what about Grip of Death ? "Back in the days", I was seeing Necro with "Shatter" frequently, now it seems that people have stop feating it. Shatter at least sound fun to use, but you need to spend 5 points in Grip of Death, and if it's another useless channeling spell like Blizzard, I might forget it.
    just read posts all there
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Most necroes use the Pestilient blast + chill spell-combo. and between PB and chill you use IS. You also want to keep the dots up all the time; FtW, and MotD. BR and GS is also usefull, but it require you to be close to the target.

GoD is ok for leveling. Shatter does ok dmg, but has a horrible CD.
    "Du kan ikke knekke en mann uten ryggrad!"

Quote Originally Posted by noite80 View Post
    just read posts all there
    Yeah, thanks for the advice. I read many thread on the Necro forums and most are actually quite useful. But in many case, it a bit confuse because either they speak about PVP, or "how to optimize your necro", which is very nice but not exactly what I was searching for.

And for the more specific question like Grip of Death, well... It's not very disscussed on the new forums and google wasn't of much help since it send me back to 2008-2009 outdated posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverram View Post
    Most necroes use the Pestilient blast + chill spell-combo. and between PB and chill you use IS. You also want to keep the dots up all the time; FtW, and MotD. BR and GS is also usefull, but it require you to be close to the target.

GoD is ok for leveling. Shatter does ok dmg, but has a horrible CD.
    Thanks for the answers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast