Thread: Defiance MMO, Not enough gear progression?

Default Defiance MMO, Not enough gear progression?

Some people,,, actually many. They are crying that there is not enough difference in gear be it 100 "level" or 1000 "level" gear part or weapon. Difference is extremely minimal on stats and they are worried that they cannot beat/out gear other players with their basement player skills.

They are also worried that game does not last long enough because they cannot get better gear all the time. Why should they get higher "level" item when it has almost same stats?

They whine that only thing they can do is repeat quests/instances or play PvP in "fair" battles

Ok, question. Should i tell them to come grind to AoC? So they can outgear others and be "best"?

Waited this kinda QQ for years!

I can understand them "in a way". Many ppl play games for a different reason (meaning MMMOs) some play it for loot some for the sake of the game and some for there community (guilds, friends etc).

I remember when I played GW2 I was quickly turned off by the fact aswell that gear doesnt matter all that much and that you can do pretty much anything from early lvls ( due to lvl buffing). So the game lacked long term motivation for me and from what I read apperantly alot of other players.

Not saying that gear should be as important as it is in AOC, its just too much here. But I find it shouldnt be totaly useless (in that way). If I wanted that I could play a shooter

If you play Defiance to outgear people and own them simply because you have better gear, you are playing the wrong game, lol.

I think they are missing the point.

That is exactly my point. Why play game where you cannot out gear people -.-

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    That is exactly my point. Why play game where you cannot out gear people -.-
    Because you enjoy PvP and only PvP?

Wanting to out gear people is a PvE players mindset. True PvP'rs do not really want an advantage, other than numbers, terrain and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post

Wanting to out gear people is a PvE players mindset. True PvP'rs do not really want an advantage, other than numbers, terrain and skill.
    True PvP players also will never level their characters after arriving to Tortage. It is a PvE activity, after all.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

There are different ways of progression. Also the majority does not fit such "elitist" descriptions as "true" pvper or "true" pveer. Many enjoy a mix, depending on time, mood and friends online.

Problems come, when there are not alternatives or one gamestyle is favoured over another and people feel they are getting forced to do content they don't like to be competetive. In aoc parts of this could be solved by player behaviour (you COULD gear down or stop exploiting all the existing bugs), but the amount of players willing to lessen "their" fun in favour of anothers is really minimal nowadays (was not always so! i remember tortage pvp, where there were people willing to teach and change gear for the fun of trying things out or not to faceroll the enemy everytime and give them a chance and learning curve).

All of this sounds solveable to me, if the devs of games would not go after trends, but start thinking about what kind of people actually play (and pay for) their game and offer paths for everyone (they don't even have to be completely balanced).

There are people who enjoy e-sports pvp with tournament, arenas etc. (there is a nice thread in the pvp forum part about one variety for this with locker rooms now). Others want to test out their build and gear composition against other players choice (for those you need a bit of gear dependancy, but also CHOICES in gear and valid builds) and imo the minority and most unwelcome players in every game are those who simply don't like to loose and take every step to avoid it (from tabletop games to MMOs). Do you really want to cater these people by giving insane linear gear gaps and let them loose on others in open pvp (with expectable results like certain rangers for example)?

Gear difference or progression is as i said not so much a problem, unless those with high gear can totally block out others and there are no consequences if people only focus the weak as well as no rewards for choosing a challenge (pve or pvp level is NOT a true measure of a chars power in aoc, for example!).

Yes and no. I enjoy both PvE and PvP as long it is not progression based. I like how i can improve my skills (movement, aiming, sneaking) on Defiance while doing PvE

And point of thread was kinda joke anyway... People cry for things there what people hate here and what we have now

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    True PvP players also will never level their characters after arriving to Tortage. It is a PvE activity, after all.
    Not really. Most PvP-centric games(like this one was at launch) tend to be fun while leveling, because of the massive open world PvP. Sure you had to quest, but there were literally hundreds of players per zone around launch. You had to actually FIGHT others for a quest area. Which was half the fun of AoC, imo.

The pure PvP only legends yes, which are about 2% of all "PvPers". Rest are bigger loot whores than any PvE carebear (apart from a couple I know) I have ever seen.