Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balance of stamina and mana depletion

On the flip side, the mana drains are really strong. I run out of mana instantly with taps, add a dot to stop regenerating. Perhaps beef up stam taps?

I think you need to consider more about combat balance instead of singling out stam vs mana regen/taps. Dash isn't the only tool for caster mobility.

Mana is terrible current day. Even feating everything I can for free spell casts and mana return/regen I still run out on protracted fights...in minis it's pretty bad too if you avoid dying for a while...

On my stam toons stamina is almost never an issue...and only rarely do I even need to spam pots unless stam drain is part of that particular fight.
    Doomsayer 2008

I disagree with the original poster on this. Stamina is still used. Although it is not as easy to run out of stamina as it once was. I feel that this has enhanced the game for the better. To change this would only hurt the game.

I would agree that the energy change has dumbed down pvp. I used to spec feats / skills to disable or drain my enemy. I dont bother any more, and I dont know anyone that does. I never run out of stamina or mana when pvping through normal combat any more. Only kiting / chasing will drain me.

On the subject of whether it is balanced or not, I play both a soldier and a mage in pvp. My soldier can sprint forever. My mage can't. If a mage tries to kite my soldier I can always get him unless he ccs me, does a HotUW and runs away. If he tries to stay in combat I will get him. Rogues like Armature have a different opinion, becuase the insta casts hurt them - they do nothing to a soldier - if it was left to me I would boost the Energy mages get from using Dash to give them a small boost, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ieronon View Post
    Should stamina be more scarce ? Or should mana be more plentiful ?
    Stamina should be drained faster with combos, dash, and white hits. Mana is all right at the moment.
    Mana, on the other hand, is balanced and straddles between plentiful and managed at the moment, which is good.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Stamina should be drained faster with combos, dash, and white hits. Mana is all right at the moment.
    Mana, on the other hand, is balanced and straddles between plentiful and managed at the moment, which is good.
    For the first 5 minutes of a fight mana is balanced, then your left casting only one primary spell while you hopelessly watch your mana bar stay between 500-800 mana.

You have to specifically spec overload and earth recharge on a demo and you still run out on certain fights...even with a tos and shammy in group you can still run out, although in that situation it's rare.

Louhi in particular is a great example of how sh!t mana can really be for some classes...
    Doomsayer 2008

The resources were designed to be depleted. Running out of them or managing them with feats, potions, and abilities means that they are working: having an almost endless amount of it (as stamina is right now) is a broken code (Funcom cannot still fix it). Before the energy resource change, everything was perfect.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Before the energy resource change, everything was perfect.
    It most certainly was not. Having a shared resource for movement and abilities for some classes only, while others have separate resources, is a bad concept. By contrast, the system now is sound, and any issues you may have with it can easily be fixed by making adjustments within the system (as suggested by OP).

As to the OP's point, I don't really like sitting duck scenarios so I don't think the situation now is bad. But if people who are more serious about PvP than I am think that it needs a change, increasing drains for some classes (hint: no more drains for rangers ) certainly would be better than a flat out stamina cost increase on combos.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    For the first 5 minutes of a fight mana is balanced, then your left casting only one primary spell while you hopelessly watch your mana bar stay between 500-800 mana.

You have to specifically spec overload and earth recharge on a demo and you still run out on certain fights...even with a tos and shammy in group you can still run out, although in that situation it's rare.

Louhi in particular is a great example of how sh!t mana can really be for some classes...
    Welcome to the pvp forums. As for OPs topic imo in PvP the stamina/mana balance is fine. Casters dont need to manage combos or range, so they at least got the mana management to care for. Only HoX got the short end of the stick again.
    Almost the same here, but there a encounters out there where one doesn't have to move so yes, there's an resource advantage for stamina users. Imho having that much stamina (or mana as requested), that one doesn't have to care any more, takes away a level of gameplay and thus a level of fun managing a fight. But thats only for PvE.
    Last edited by Corais; 8th April 2013 at 09:03.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast