Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balance of stamina and mana depletion

Default Balance of stamina and mana depletion

Hi,

I see lots of talk about balance on these new forums yet I don't see word of what I think is a fundamental imbalance in pvp nowadays : stamina management vs mana management (maybe there is a thread about it already and I missed it though).

Since the energy revamp, while mana is a ressource you can run out of and that you have to manage, there is almost no way you can run out of stamina. Don't you agree ?

This impacts casters negatively not only in the use of their spells but also in their mobility since they cannot spam Dash as carelessly as a stamina class - note that casters (except hoxes) already have smaller energy pools than melees to balance their rangedness.

Should stamina be more scarce ? Or should mana be more plentiful ?

I wouldn't like mana to be as plentiful as stamina is, because :
    - drain strategies have to remain valid
    - having ressources you can't deplete is like having no ressource system in the first place

Increasing stamina depletion would then be the way to go, either by increasing combos stamina costs, or increasing stamina drains, or both. Not to the point of making the game unplayable for melees, of course; but to the point that stamina classes stop dismissing their stamina feats because they don't need them at all, maybe.

Would that be an unfair nerf ? What's your opinion on this ?
    -- Ieronon, QQror --
    -- Deutter, holy potato --

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    i find it ok as is
    Same here. Seriously casters right now stupid easy and op. Demos and necros cast insta **** on you and kite kite kite. Give me brake.

Lol i still need to use stamina pots in groups or raids. Plus i speced for stamina regen .As far as i know melee classes never really had to spec for stamina. For casters on other hand you dont really need to uness you spellweave. Oh and please dont bring back Guards insane stamina drain.

Currently balance of mana and stam only matters in pve. In pvp all casters can kite indefinitely vs a melee toon, given similar skill gear aa.

i find it ok as is
    You're funny.

Hmmm I did mention mobility because of the cost of Dash, but this is not the only issue - and this is after all a minor aspect of this stamina/mana discrepency, imo. Stamina shortage is not as punishing as it was before energy revamp in that regard, remember

E.g. on my POM, if I (fortunately) manage to fight for some time without dying, i'll be out of mana after a while. There is no way to go out of stamina on my conq in similar conditions even though I don't even use stam pots in pvp (I've not played him much since revamp but I doubt this has changed).

Also mana drain is a valid strategy to handle a caster. Trying to drain Stamina is pointless, on the other hand. Or is it not ?
    -- Ieronon, QQror --

admittedly melees have tons of stam in todays aoc. tho to me theres some sense in the melee pool being more durable then mana pools, wouldnt like to see mana inscreased. necros already deal huge amount of dmg just by kiting and spellweaving dots, healers already have insane healing potential imo, and demos being able to aoe for a whole game would make aoc even more caster friendly

They should just take the stamina bar out of the game.

admittedly melees have tons of stam in todays aoc. tho to me theres some sense in the melee pool being more durable then mana pools, wouldnt like to see mana inscreased. necros already deal huge amount of dmg just by kiting and spellweaving dots, healers already have insane healing potential imo, and demos being able to aoe for a whole game would make aoc even more caster friendly
    Sigh... did you really read the original post ? I am not advocating for increasing mana pools and regenerations in the game either; slightly increasing stamina cost of combos so that stamina management matters would be better, imo. Note that would probably hit soldiers harder than rogues, btw.
    -- Ieronon, QQror --

as a rogue, for PvE, i only use stamina pots in coppice, in raids depends on my group a bit (some other class might be feated to boost stamina in group for example, or not)

on pvp, i never need stamina pots, not even when i get hitted with someone's stamina drain spells/combos

before the energy thingy came out i was using stamina pots everywhere i went as much as health ones, either to sprint or do combos, but now its useless, and in THOSE DAYS, it really matter the timing to sprint or use combos or use deflection stance (not speaking of the tanks defensive stance), and now useless

funcom said that the energy would bring more tactical stuff to fights (specially pvp), and to be honest i saw that, but not like this, for the moment is more of an annoying thing than tactical, specially when the energy bar gets screwed and bugged, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Phishbone View Post
    They should just take the stamina bar out of the game.
    in that case they should have never created the energy in the first place

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast