Thread: PvP healing feels underwhelming

Default PvP healing feels underwhelming

Not 80 or AA'd yet, but I am feeling pretty ineffective as a healer in random world PvP 1v1 and 2v# when I am playing with a friend. Blue and green HoTs rolling don't come near covering incoming damage, and the once per minute heal is about equivalent to a single combo.

Other games, healing felt clutch and vital. Here it seems like the priority should just be on pushing damage. It seems like most players feel the same, since priests are by far the least played class, and of the priests, the most popular is the DPS PoM.

healing and dpsing are not mutually exclusive. healing is not like other mmos.

Yes it's definitely not like in other games. But a good healer (even one specced for full support and doing little damage) can easily make a team overpower another. In pug minis one thing you can easily see is what happens when a team has a necro and the other has no heal: the dots spread and cripple the team awfully. Having a healer changes things completely since HoTs can more or less cover those dots. (a t4 Necro spellweaving is still a bit problematic though)

Most healers don't use AA heals much if at all in pvp (since they require heal rating gear to be effective, i.e. pve gear with 0 or very limited protection). So you need to keep your HoTs up (if your teammates don't spread out too much it shouldn't be too hard) but also to use your big heal smartly - that's a bit more tricky but even though it may not seem like much it is a lifesaver and extremely important. Healers also have other tools to boost their team in several ways (for example on my BS I use the Runes to boost the protection for my team, Manifestation of Regrowth to provide an additional HoT around me, Rune of Agression to boost the weapon damage for my team, Grace of Nature to remove root for everyone in my team etc.)
    Last edited by kalston; 1st April 2013 at 12:42.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

If you want "clutch heals" try the Empowered Mending AA making it possible to bighealcrit for over 3k.

PoMs can use this paired with instant bigheal from general and Searing Light for some good stuff heal and damage.

As for BS and ToS I say you're be better off with Steadfast Faith when you learn to use them correctly.
    Perhaps for ToSes far down in general with instant I'd go for Empowered Mending aswell.

In AoC, you can be the best healer in the world, if your team mates are bad at movement and positioning, hence are not able to avoid main sources of damage, there's just no way you can keep them alive.

If they are totally under geared or are unable to use CCs in a strategic way, same result.

So if your team melts down even though they got blue and green heals on them and got your big heals, don't take it as a personal failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    In AoC, you can be the best healer in the world, if your team mates are bad at movement and positioning, hence are not able to avoid main sources of damage, there's just no way you can keep them alive.

If they are totally under geared or are unable to use CCs in a strategic way, same result.

So if your team melts down even though they got blue and green heals on them and got your big heals, don't take it as a personal failure.
    Yes of course, also applies to pve when tanks don't use their survival tools properly, don't switch aggro etc.

But in AoC you basically can't keep someone alive simply with heals - it's totally unlike, say, Guild Wars 1 where a healer could make even an afk sin tank for ages (or even forever). But a healer specced that way also did 0 damage.

In AoC healing in itself is kind of weak so it's more about teamplay, synergies etc. CCs, damage, healing, everything needs to be combined.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by jaayc View Post
    Not 80 or AA'd yet, but I am feeling pretty ineffective as a healer in random world PvP 1v1 and 2v# when I am playing with a friend. Blue and green HoTs rolling don't come near covering incoming damage, and the once per minute heal is about equivalent to a single combo.

Other games, healing felt clutch and vital. Here it seems like the priority should just be on pushing damage. It seems like most players feel the same, since priests are by far the least played class, and of the priests, the most popular is the DPS PoM.
    Dont know what class you play, but as you close in on 80, you will get more support tools than just hots and burst heal that are equally if not more important tools for a good priest.

CCs, group-wide protection spells, dmg buffs, health taps etc. Good ccing can spare your teammates more damage than your burst heal can - heal.

Make sure you find all your abilities and get to know them, also that you are using the highest rank of all spells
    Jou ppl need to undstand that it took great skill to play the Ranjor.please stop qq bout ranjor.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Healers also have other tools to boost their team in several ways (for example on my BS I use the Runes to boost the protection for my team, Manifestation of Regrowth to provide an additional HoT around me, Rune of Agression to boost the weapon damage for my team, Grace of Nature to remove root for everyone in my team etc.)
    THIS is one of things that makes a good healer a good healer. You have no idea how few times I see protection buffs cast on me in pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    You either like the game or you don't. If you are hanging around because you feel like I am stringing you along with false promises, don't.