Thread: Non-PvP DPS

Default Non-PvP DPS

People always say healer must also contribute DPS to groups otherwise it's a wasted slot.

I feel I'm doing ok with healing parses in raids, but when it comes to damage I'm usually bottom to middle of DPS.

I admit I don't have the best gear yet and still wearing a lot of blues from HoC. That was my excuse. The other day however the other pom in a raid was wearing items as bad as mine and worse, even green items. He did slightly better healing than me and way more damage.

I was shocked. I had been going full-on moving around for better angles and targeting furthest mobs, everything except spellweaving and came out around the middle of scores. The other PoM did double my damage. I haven't played this character much lately but I thought I knew how to play. Obviously not.

Soon I want to start doing k6's when I get SFF. I want to do better DPS, so please share some advice.

First off, you will need to decide if you want to be Divnity heavy or Vengeance heavy. Both can deal good dps.

Regardless of which you pick, this will be your default you want in either specc:
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v2_1182...f1852f5d02f7c4

With that, your basic rotation is set, which will be leading off with a blue heal (damage increase) > Rebuke (debuff) > Cleansing Fire (DoT) > Mitra's Searing Eye > Insta Smite (because you had CF on the target and hit it with MSE, thus gaining the insta smite)

Throw in Avert thine Eyes for more debuffing whenever it makes sense (a raid trashmob at like 15% hp won't make this worth your time for example).
    Keep Rebuke working, however, it costs a good bit amount of mana, which can cause mana problems really fast. I think the debuff lasted 15s, you need to apply it at least twice the first time around, and then every 10ish seconds...that's something you'd need to practice, there is no magical rotation to fit the shedule perfectly.

Also adding to the basic rotation, the insta smite rotation, is, that you do not cast MSE if Cleansing Fire has less than 3s cooldown left. Some slack is possible, you will need to get the feeling for that though, use it as a basic rule until then.

Other than that, depending if you go into Divinity specc, you will have Lance of Mitra as column spell. It does less damage than smite, but it can hit in a column, which gives this spell some range advantage and possibility to hit more targets than a Smite could given the situation.
    Short breakdown on when to use it or not:
    Single mob > Smite
    2+ mobs shoulder to shoulder > Smite
    2+ mobs fairly far apart > Lance (after you have adjusted your position to accommodate it's use)

Other than that, dps like a madman. Go to BRC or something and test your limits, don't be afraid of pulling. By now it's easy enough to carry more than half the raid, so even if you die, there wouldn't be much lost. Don't make dying a habit though.

Oh, and don't forget to keep healing as well
    God loves human virtues like courage and hope, but he loves screams, blood and despair just as much. If he didn't, there's no way fresh intestines could be so colorful!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuls View Post
    Keep Rebuke working, however, it costs a good bit amount of mana, which can cause mana problems really fast. I think the debuff lasted 15s, you need to apply it at least twice the first time around, and then every 10ish seconds...that's something you'd need to practice, there is no magical rotation to fit the shedule perfectly.
    I spam it every time it's off cool down. Low mana is the only reason not to do it, but this shouldn't be a problem anymore - the cost was reduced considerably after the revamp. Since I started using Eye of Penance, I'm able to keep full-dps rotation until boss is 50% hp and then fire Sustaining Faith - this gets your mana full for the remaining 50%. Of course having ToS in party or spellweaving solves all mana issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuls View Post
    Also adding to the basic rotation, the insta smite rotation, is, that you do not cast MSE if Cleansing Fire has less than 3s cooldown left. Some slack is possible, you will need to get the feeling for that though, use it as a basic rule until then.
    Actually many times I could insta-Smite when MSE hit the mob even ~1s after CF went off cooldown. The most important thing for me when I started using insta-Smite was learning to ALWAYS hit the Smite button twice (until I see the normal cast bar) - using instant spells is useless if you loose 0,5-1s after cating it

Quote Originally Posted by Daynan
    I feel I'm doing ok with healing parses in raids, but when it comes to damage I'm usually bottom to middle of DPS.
    Healing parses should be taken with a glass of salt. Your # is dependant on which group are you healing and how often you spam the blue heal - I'm often on top because I heal main tank group and I spam blue heal every 11-13s. I can totally fail in critical situations when you need to fire off CG/SoB/SI/big heals and still come on top.

For DPS you need a build and a proper rotation executed with no delays. Then you can focus on getting better gear.

I'm running this right now - not the best, but the most fun for me.

The rotation is based on insta-Smite from Schmuls post, but also you have to calculate Purifying Light (cast WoL before every MSE) and Condemnation (break the rotation if Holy Storm procs and you're far from casting insta-Smite). Of course you may cast WoL more often if it's needed - the primary role of this spell is to keep medium heal running on people who are getting damage.
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 28th March 2013 at 08:36.

I run a divinity-heavy build and get tons of DPS out of it--more than I was able to get out of a vengeance-heavy build. The heals are also completely passable as well. This is my build: http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v2_1182...f7c42f56d2f378

My spell rotation keys off keeping my two dots up (from cleansing fire and from my blue heal). I start with rebuke, then I cast cleansing fire and wave of life, followed by MSE+insta-smite. In a single target fight, I spam rebuke and smite until condemnation is up OR until cleansing fire comes off cooldown, at which point I cast cleansing fire and wave of life again. This keeps both my dots up constantly, while also keeping up the dps buff from the blue heal. I work in MSE whenever it is off cooldown so long as I know it will proc insta smite.

In a multi-target fight, my strategy is basically the same. I target the farthest mob and start with rebuke, cleansing fire, wave of life, mse+insta smite. I then alternate lance of mitra, smite, and rebuke (keeping lance on cooldown) until condemnation procs or my dots are off cooldown. Work in MSE as appropriate.

I highly suggest using lance in a multi-target fight even if the adds are close together, because lance gives both column and splash damage--one lance will out dps one smite if the adds are stacked on top of eachother.

Use your buffs (radiance spell damage buff, blessing of mitra) and debuffs (avert thine eyes) as you see fit--they definitely help, but will not make or break your dps. Work in green heals when needed.

Also, definitely definitely spellweave. This build (and most pom builds that crank out good DPS) is pretty mana intensive. You want to spellweave to ensure you can get the 15% mana tap--along with the other spellweaving dps bonuses.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Robbybobby; 28th March 2013 at 16:46.

I recently was giving some tips to a guildie who was doing too low dps and the first conclusion was that he was casting less spells than other PoMs. BTW - this is the first thing I check when I'm trying to help someone with dps.