Thread: guardian pvp

Default guardian pvp

Team role of guardian,aa perks want to ask if stall the advance work at pvp too?Any advice how to face other classes also welcome.

I could write a lengthy guide later and ask for a sticky maybe :P But for now I can just tell you that Guard has very simple mechanics in pvp and is easy to pick up once you have pvp 5+ gear (aka tons of protection).
    Before that you'll die easily and not kill much. After that you become immortal and you won't die much if at all even with the flag on your back. If you wanna chase kills be my guest but chasing kills with a soldier class is probably the most boring thing ever, you simply don't risk anything. When there's another good FC in your team you should then be pretty much top killer (or very near the top).

Guard relies on stance dancing even more than conq and DT (those two can dish out good damage in def stance, we guards can't apart from a few lucky crits) so you need to have some good binds for your stances. Also don't just switch stances but manoeuvres and tactics accordingly (you can switch the latter two even when CC'd! so again make sure you have smart and accessible keybinds)
    To be even better you should switch to sword and shield frequently (for the extra KB, the crap debuff, and the extra armour/protection when focused)

Your primary role should be to take the flag and still support your team by killing - don't be a flagbot, stay with your team and focus sins/barbs/hoxes (mostly) trying to kill your teammates (or yourself). Guard is also very good at killing rangers/demos/necros but don't try chasing them with the flag on your back - unless they are baddies (free kills). Don't bother focusing healers and tanks, you can do nothing to them (healers have massive self healing and bubbles and you have no debuffs to kill other tanks, nor mana drain against DTs). Healers, conqs and DTs are anti-guard classes, period. You have nothing on them in 1o1, if they know what they are doing you are a free kill for them (okay sometimes it's possible to beat DTs... but don't risk it with the flag on your back unless you are certain that you can outplay him).

My (agressive) spec : http://goo.gl/ukWIY

I spec for maximum damage and tools (snare, stamina drain, dot, 2 charges, cunning deflection) as you can see because guard has enough survivability from gear and perks as it is. You can put the 2 points from Intimidating Shout in guarded frenzy or precise attacks if you want. But the dot does about 100 dmg per tick in frenzy so when you are bursting someone and use it it's a nice instant damage boost.

Best "all rounder" perks :
    Decisive/pressing strikes, avoid entanglements, vindication, counterweight/master at arms

In some minis it can be wise to use chromatic warding instead of pressing strikes
    Don't bother with STA unless you really want to be a flagbot or to faceroll demos and sins in duels. Learn to use CW instead
    Last edited by kalston; 25th March 2013 at 16:36.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    ... for now I can just tell you that Guard has very simple mechanics in pvp and is easy to pick up once you have pvp 5+ gear (aka tons of protection).
    Before that you'll die easily and not kill much...
    Thanks for the write-up, Kalston.

About the quoted text above, what's your general advice for lower pvp level (1-4) guards? Is it the same as the rest of your write-up? My guard is at pvp2 only, and he's far from immortal despite the starting pvp gear and a few khitai epics and a lot of AA.

I don't really do minis much, only once every couple of months I guess (I'm surprised I even made it to pvp2), but that's because I can't seem to get interested due to the learning curve - and so a vicious chicken-and-egg cycle is born. It's kind of fun sometimes, but while you are trying to learn how to play against other people, and understand the layout of the map and the mechanics, some teammates just rage at you for not knowing what you are supposed to do, and that just kind of short-circuits the learning curve. I then just go back to doing quests with my friends and guildies - after all, I don't want to spend my time aggravated by somebody across the internet that I don't even know from Adam.

(Not sure if you can relate to that, you probably are an uber pvp guard and so no one ever rages at you for not knowing your place and telling you "why do you even bother joining minis?????? GTFO", and blames you squarely for the loss of the team)

Anyhoo, if you have specific pointers for pvp2/3/4 guards aside from what you already posted, that would be very appreciated.

Well let's be honest, with a low pvp Guard nowadays it's pretty hard to compete because Guard does not really have OP feats and is completely AA/gear dependent in PVP (in PVE it's luckily possible to tank VERY well with poor gear provided you use a S&S spec). IMO it's not so much a matter of learning curve (but it's definitely there) but a matter of gear and AA. In AoC's current state you simply have to do LOTS of PVE before jumping into PVP (and it's oh so sad).

In the AA tree your priorities should be the CC break, the protection wards, Decisive/Pressing Strikes, and then you can get Counterweight (one point is enough btw, amount of points only increases the damage done by Reckoning after the combo and Reckoning is best used after Storm Strike, you can put points there once you have all the useful stuff maxed).

Many people will tell you to buy the gear from the shop, but instead of spending real money (though it is your choice of course) I suggest you go for some Khitai epics: Tigers chest, LL hate (or Tigers) legs, Tigers or LL hate head then the small parts and accessories can be the PVP ones you get starting from PVP 1 (LL protection set is a good option as well, some parts actually give more protection than PVP ones, but it completely lacks DPS and crits). Brittle Blade and Jiang Shi rings are also very very good for PVP.

With this gear you won't have amazing protection, but if you have a decent weapon (raid T1 polearm is a good start, but random drop :/ Khitai one is better than nothing but lacks critical rating big time) you can start killing stuff (rangers, sins, mages) and be useful to your team. You will feel a bit squishy as a flag carrier, but if you are lucky and get a good healer or just good support from your team in general you'll be fine. Important thing when you lack gear is that you always have one or more player sticking with you - because you are not an OP class YET and will probably die to most classes in 1o1. Remind your team that you are not a geared up soldier - you probably even have less protection than a BS or Ranger in PVP gear!
    If you have another flagcarrier then go for kills, focusing on the important targets (rogues and mages for a Guard) and staying close enough to your flagcarrier so that you can pick it up when he dies. With the PVE gear I mentioned you should have good critical rating and Storm Strike and Counterweight should crit very often and do TONS of damage if you are in frenzy.

You can use the Chromatic Warding perk instead of Pressing Strikes (that is actually what I did before PVP 5) and you may consider using the STA perk to be a less squishy as a flag carrier (you will also one shot sins and demos due to a bug, I don't like that but it's an option you may consider to make the PVP levelling less painful). But levelling those perks will also cost a lot of AA - so depending on how much PVE you do it's maybe not such a good idea.

I've been there before (but I never did PVE back then so I got to PVP 4 with crafted blue gear, don't try it at home, especially with the common t4 geared people) and honestly since I was only doing PVP back then I got sick more than once of the AA/gear gap and took looong breaks from the game (I won't hide you that I still had a sub running most of the time so my AA timer was doing its magic).

Some people might also advise you to grind Bori, but that is really boring and actually not THAT fast so I can't really recommend doing that. It's still an option though (to get to PVP 5 and get the full PVP set).

Good luck. Before PVP 4-5 you'll definitely need it.

EDIT : I want to mention something else because it is one of the most frequent issue with people in pug minis : group chat and radar. You need to use both, always. I know that the group chat can be filled with insults and rage but communication is still very important in minis - someone shouting "HELP ME ****ING NOOB" is annoying of course but sometimes helping him will actually win the mini game. Always remember that.

Radar is self explanatory I think - tells you where you are, where are the flags, where are your teammates. Vital.
    Last edited by kalston; 27th March 2013 at 12:35.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

I kind of like the group support spec as well. Lose some damage potential, but gain more group support with more CC's.

http://goo.gl/ZNKdI