Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help playing a caster

Default Need help playing a caster

I am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on playing a caster in pvp.

I have 10k hp, I have full aa tree, I have a mix of khatai and t3 gear. I have feated for max resists etc in general tree and for the fastest refreshing damage shield. I use the middle tier aas that reduce root times and break cc's.

My problem is that I die so fast it is stupid.

I quite literally die in two combos from ANY melee. Guardians, DT's Sins...doesnt matter. Rangers I am usually ok with, also ok with other casters. It is melee I have the problem with.

Generally the situation is that I get attacked by a charge kb from a conc, or a stunning charge from a guard. I try and stand at max range, but they tend to push the ranged so this is how it starts.

I find myself cc'd so I use my cc break and try and step away from them slightly to cc them back. During this time they are landing combo 1 on me, and I am getting the "staggered" debuff on me meaning I am snared.

I cast my cc. If they have immunity up or resit it they are then into combo two in which case I am dead.

If my cc lands, then I run as fast as I can to get away, since by now I am half health and there are usually others pushing with the first attacker and seeing a caster at half health they pounce. It is not uncommon to get charged by someone else as I try and retreat, and end up dead from that.

I spend my life in a mini game running back from the res pad. It is no fun and I am on the verge of quitting this toon. This post is a bit of a last resort for me.

My question is, as a caster, how can I actually live long enough to to do some pvp in a mini game when I am dead in two combos?

I stay back, I have feated as much as I can, I use the best aa's for survivability, I cc, but I always end up being farmed.

I must be missing something because it just doesn't seem fair that when I cast a barrage of spells at a DT I do 5% damage, and when he does two combos on me, I am dead.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Never let anyone close to you. Cancel casting spells with the Escape key to run away and hide behind your army. Crowd control helps to get away from the direst situations. In open world, chasing a caster may turn into a nightmare for a melee class.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

As a caster, you don't rely much on armor / protection to survive (or very few), you rely mostly on your position.

Check your position constantly:

- in Jebbal Sag, try to stay in group with at least 2-3 more players. Check constantly the map to know where your group members are positioned, you should never be alone in a zone of the map. Your group members are your survivability, you are their DPS (which means that in a gank you will get most of the kills if you are well positioned).
    - in 6 men maps, try to use positions from which you can nuke and where melees can't suddenly"jump" on you (upper platforms for example). Check melees positions, and try eventually to understand if they are moving to you. You should be in a position from which you can nuke and enemy players can't even see you. Or at least are not motivated to reach you.

Other suggestions:

- Use hide to check room and other spaces before enter.

- Don't stand still: move, kite, jump around and try not to be in the middle of a room when your group is ganking. If you play demo, Hands of the Underworld (speedbuff) is the best survivability tool in many situations. If you get chased 1 vs 1 by tanks, sins or other good melees (hard to DPS down), just CC and run away to your group or a safe spot, don't try to kill them.

- If you play a demo, the key spell you have to survive to a melee in 1 vs 1 in a close range is Waves of Flame (you need Rings of Fire class perk) + CCs. Watch players CC resistances, and test his protection. If you have no chance to kill him in a sequence CC + WoF + CC + WoF, run away fast and don't fight him.
    Waves of Flames hits really hard, but don't be tempted to use it too much, or you will die more than kill.
    You should not try to go close range, but if someone comes melee range, use it to DPS him down (if you can) or run.

I have not been playing demo for long time yet (I'm PvP 6).
    Many experienced demos / necros can help you better for sure, but since you haven't got many suggestions so far, I think these are correct and a good start point

casters have a high damage burst from distance, but also are "easily" killed because they use cloth armor (necro/demo) and they are farmed for that reason and also for the reason that they are a threat

always fight with weapons on hand to do some sidesteps (double-tap back to evade some stuff is very helpful in your case), cancel the casting by using the ESC key as "luny" said and run away and also stay behind your army and choose wisely the position you are attacking because someone can come in hiding and attack you from back, using the common tactic of KB, then combos, etc...

in the case of the sins, you're a bit screwed, its just how they fight, one hit your dead in 2secs (whirlwind + bomb), the same happens to me, and im not even a caster, im a barb...

to help against sins, put all shield on the right side because they damage on that side with the heavy whirlwind and try to increase your protection for unholy and keep an ANTI-ROOT ability read as much as possible for the sin's charge...same thing against barbs and guards, they inflict most damage on the right side of your shields when they attack you from behind (dunno about the conqs)

but basically, run away close to a healer and try to CC your opponent close to the healer (in case you miss, the healer will help out with heals and also CC)

Sorry i do not have caster class but for me it seems strange to hit Esc to cancel spell. Isnt moving enought to cancel it? Espetialy when u need to move

Lol hit escape key. Who are these people giving pvp advice.
    Nojoda pvp 10 Barb
    Pooba pvp 10 Pom
    Elosso pvp 10 BS
    Kotech pvp 10 DT
    Deeky pvp 8 Necro
    Beefstikk pvp 10 Guard
    Beefchief pvp 10 Conq
    Denoid pvp 8 Ranger
    Mousecop pvp 9 Hox

Instead of laughing at the way people do things, feel free to think of how useful it can be. I use the Escape key frequently on my casters because it's the only way to cancel your spells while you are rooted (unless it's a channeled spell), and cancelling certain spells to retain their cooldown saves you often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Otar View Post
    Instead of laughing at the way people do things, feel free to think of how useful it can be. I use the Escape key frequently on my casters because it's the only way to cancel your spells while you are rooted (unless it's a channeled spell), and cancelling certain spells to retain their cooldown saves you often enough.
    Aye, I actually bound the "cancel" action to another key because of that. Hitting escape is too slow and awkward for me, so I bound it to "H". And it's not just for casters, sometimes with a melee it's a smart idea to interrupt your long ass combo while rooted.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Aye, I actually bound the "cancel" action to another key because of that. Hitting escape is too slow and awkward for me, so I bound it to "H". And it's not just for casters, sometimes with a melee it's a smart idea to interrupt your long ass combo while rooted.
    at least on melee class, you can also cancel combo by forcing a sidestep (backwards is always helpfull) and/or using the next wrong direction for the combo, so if the combo needs upper-right attack then click upper-left to miss the combo on purpose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast