Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help playing a caster

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    at least on melee class, you can also cancel combo by forcing a sidestep (backwards is always helpfull) and/or using the next wrong direction for the combo, so if the combo needs upper-right attack then click upper-left to miss the combo on purpose
    Its easy to interrupt combo as melle unless as kalston said you are rooted, than it is nice to have option to cancel it as you can move or jump to do so.
    And im not sure that i understand you properly, why would you hit next wrong direction for combo to cancel it if you can move, jump, sidestep or start new combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Whalar View Post
    Its easy to interrupt combo as melle unless as kalston said you are rooted, than it is nice to have option to cancel it as you can move or jump to do so.
    And im not sure that i understand you properly, why would you hit next wrong direction for combo to cancel it if you can move, jump, sidestep or start new combo?
    for the root moments , to avoid certain combos become on their normal cooldown if they are "full completed", making them go on CD for 3 seconds instead of 30, 40 seconds...in the barbarian for example is the whirlwind combo, if i see i dont hit the target because of range i cancel it like that instead using ESC key

Quote Originally Posted by Calore View Post
    As a caster, you don't rely much on armor / protection to survive (or very few), you rely mostly on your position.

Check your position constantly:

- in Jebbal Sag, try to stay in group with at least 2-3 more players. Check constantly the map to know where your group members are positioned, you should never be alone in a zone of the map. Your group members are your survivability, you are their DPS (which means that in a gank you will get most of the kills if you are well positioned).
    - in 6 men maps, try to use positions from which you can nuke and where melees can't suddenly"jump" on you (upper platforms for example). Check melees positions, and try eventually to understand if they are moving to you. You should be in a position from which you can nuke and enemy players can't even see you. Or at least are not motivated to reach you.

Other suggestions:

- Use hide to check room and other spaces before enter.

- Don't stand still: move, kite, jump around and try not to be in the middle of a room when your group is ganking. If you play demo, Hands of the Underworld (speedbuff) is the best survivability tool in many situations. If you get chased 1 vs 1 by tanks, sins or other good melees (hard to DPS down), just CC and run away to your group or a safe spot, don't try to kill them.

- If you play a demo, the key spell you have to survive to a melee in 1 vs 1 in a close range is Waves of Flame (you need Rings of Fire class perk) + CCs. Watch players CC resistances, and test his protection. If you have no chance to kill him in a sequence CC + WoF + CC + WoF, run away fast and don't fight him.
    Waves of Flames hits really hard, but don't be tempted to use it too much, or you will die more than kill.
    You should not try to go close range, but if someone comes melee range, use it to DPS him down (if you can) or run.

I have not been playing demo for long time yet (I'm PvP 6).
    Many experienced demos / necros can help you better for sure, but since you haven't got many suggestions so far, I think these are correct and a good start point
    WoF as your main attack? lol. You can only get away with WoF after a CC for a sec or two or against terrible teams, in which case your farming anyways.

Not dying as a caster boils down to where you are, how many people decide at one time they are going to chase you anywhere you go, and how competent and aware your team is to help protect you.

I would say movement used to be a big deal but with all the charge auto staggers, movement only gets you so far nowadays. Positioning, LoS, distance, and ability to kite back to the group will get you much further than heroing people alone.

If your sorley undergeared, no doubt 2+ koreans playing tanks are chasing you to the ends of the earth, screwing their own team. Try and stay alive in those situations and kite them FAR away, they might get you once or twice but they are leaving their team to fight 4v5 most of the match. Once they give up, return to distance and kite back to the group as needed.
    Doomsayer 2008

I never wrote that WoF is Demo main attack Suctum.
    I even suggested not to be tempted to use it to much.
    What I wrote is that it is our main attack in close range and in some situations in 1 vs 1, vs a melee, it works.

Anyway as I wrote I'm nab, I just gave suggestions to the OT cause no one was answering.
    I like talking about game mechanics and sometimes I forget or just intentionally ignore that I'm not the best person to answer.

OT anyway was asking for help, and as usual all he got are personal attacks / epeen building posts etc

It has become impossible to post in this forum recently, I even prefer russians who write me in Cyrillic in minigames

Edited by Arishanya to remove profanity. Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums. If you have any questions on this moderation then please feel free to contact the Community Manager.
    Last edited by Arishanya; 3rd April 2013 at 02:00.

Thank you very much for you replies. Has given me lots to think about in revising strategy.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12