Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is strength completely useless?

Str as in combat rating is kinda weak in terms of dmg dealing UNLESS is in big quantities. for example, with kakaba guide which is 85 str( from the top of my head) its 255 combat rating, you barely notice any difference in terms of aggro or dmg. now equip for instance that neck from sepulcher that has 500+ and now we are talking. its not allot but you can feel a diffence . On a DT, its easier to scale DMG with +magic. especially with certain builds with allot of procs.

Str as in armour, well you need to have a decent amount, just so your healer dont panic all fight trying to keep you alive. however dont forget that with a DT the more DMG you do the more sustain you get, and that compensates for the lack of armour.

[imma copy paste this into my guild lulz]

Quote Originally Posted by TeamVernia View Post
    Agreed, 40% to 50% is fine for Khitai most fights, sometimes lower is ok. For T3 + raids, you want 53% and up I feel.
    Also in Kithai HMs, unless you are talking about "tanking" sisters in Cabern of Malice, or popping a Dread Shadow in Celestial Necropolis (both situations can't really be described as tanking imo), you need at least 50% mitigation to tank.

It is ignored by many people (since it is explained nowhere..) that Mitigation is not a linear function.
    Under an unknown value of armor, which is different for every boss, you will get an invisible debuff which will make you get much higher hits than what you expect.
    Try for example to tank Flame boss in Monastery with 49% and 51% armor.
    With 49 you will get huge hits, which don't correspond to 2% higher damage.
    That's because the armor amount limit (below which you get "debuffed") corresponds to the amount of armor you need to get mor or less 50% armor.

In my impressions, the same or similar amount is applied to all Kithai HMs and T3 (probably T4 too).
    That's why I say that at least 50% mitigation (better 50,5+ ) is needed.

That's why also you can't compare Strength with Magic Damage or Critical Rating: these stats are needed for different reasons, and you need a mix of them in any case (except Magic Damage, which you don't need to tank, even if it can help your aggro).
    Last edited by Calore; 22nd March 2013 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Calore View Post
    It is ignored by many people (since it is explained nowhere..) that Mitigation is not a linear function.
    Under an unknown value of armor, which is different for every boss, you will get an invisible debuff which will make you get much higher hits than what you expect.
    Yep, if you want to tank the heaviest hits in a raid - you need to meet certain thresholds. Don't remember the exact values (and I believe noone knows the EXACT values), but it looks like this:

T1: ~49%
    T2: ~50%
    T3: ~52-55%
    T3,5/T4: >55%

This is only physical - prot requirement is lower in the beginning, but it catches up around T3.

You can tank with lower mitigation, but you will notice bigger damage - of course there are tools to alleviate this.

If it's hard for you to notice it, then I have and example using a non-tank class:

My BS can have now ~40% mitigation. Does it mean I will get only 20% more damage than a Conq with 50%?

Nope, I still get 3-4x times more damage. Sheng's Cyclone does almost no damage to tanks (most of the damage is mitigated by blue/green heals), while it will cut 75% of my health if Scarred Hide won't proc in the beginning (then it will be only 50% health).

That 40% mitigation only means I will get less damage than other non-tanks. Of course, it's possible that even at 50% I still won't be considered a tank and I will still get bigger damage (patchnotes mention it's class dependant)... but this only confirms that mitigation is not linear.

Default poo

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    Yep, if you want to tank the heaviest hits in a raid - you need to meet certain thresholds. Don't remember the exact values (and I believe noone knows the EXACT values), but it looks like this:

T1: ~49%
    T2: ~50%
    T3: ~52-55%
    T3,5/T4: >55%

This is only physical - prot requirement is lower in the beginning, but it catches up around T3.

You can tank with lower mitigation, but you will notice bigger damage - of course there are tools to alleviate this.

If it's hard for you to notice it, then I have and example using a non-tank class:

My BS can have now ~40% mitigation. Does it mean I will get only 20% more damage than a Conq with 50%?

Nope, I still get 3-4x times more damage. Sheng's Cyclone does almost no damage to tanks (most of the damage is mitigated by blue/green heals), while it will cut 75% of my health if Scarred Hide won't proc in the beginning (then it will be only 50% health).

That 40% mitigation only means I will get less damage than other non-tanks. Of course, it's possible that even at 50% I still won't be considered a tank and I will still get bigger damage (patchnotes mention it's class dependant)... but this only confirms that mitigation is not linear.
    i made a new dt and saw this in effect in some hm´s having 45% mit and was damaged badly, crossing 50% and suddently i cud tank em easyly.
    just never understood the point in this system, whats the perpose of it? the low mit tank(or what ever class) allready got high damage from low values, why they have to punish em more. this only butt****s new ppl. not like removing this will make blue geared go MT in t3 or t4, only prevents em from having a chance to do some support.

Quote Originally Posted by jauertussen View Post
    i made a new dt and saw this in effect in some hm´s having 45% mit and was damaged badly, crossing 50% and suddently i cud tank em easyly.
    just never understood the point in this system, whats the perpose of it? the low mit tank(or what ever class) allready got high damage from low values, why they have to punish em more. this only butt****s new ppl. not like removing this will make blue geared go MT in t3 or t4, only prevents em from having a chance to do some support.
    It's fairly easy to get to 50% with the Khitai pieces now though. The Blue battlements chest is a great free drop you can even pick it up out of the box, same with other blue drops that are quite good pieces of armor (only hard part is getting people in the group to not roll for everything so they can vendor it sometimes)

Strength is good. Magic damage is unimportant for any fight that matters.
    ╔═╗╦╗╦╗╔╦╦╕╔╗╔╗╔
    ╟═╢╟╢╟╢╫──╢╟╢╟╬╢
    ╨└╨╨╜╨╜╙╜─╨╙╜╨╙╜

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12