Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is strength completely useless?

Default Is strength completely useless?

Okay, I know its not totally useless and I'm sure the question has many many times been asked and answered about stats important to the Dark Templar.

As I understand it,

+Critical Rating
    +Critical Damage
    +Magic Damage
    +Constitution (for tanking)

are the most important. But I am now having to choose a lot between strength and Critical Rating to the point where almost none of my gear necessarily has +Strength...is this okay?

Thanks for any help.

Strength also increases your armor.

id say strength is about as important as magic dmg, it really depends what you want to do. if your going to be main tanking stacking strength is better then stacking magic dmg IMO.

Strength gives you combat rating and armor. 3 combat rating per str and 2 armor per str
    Your physical health taps work much better if you stack combat rating and strength, my physical health tap gets to around 35%(12 from sadism, 5-6 base,11 from life leech and another 5 or soemthing from SFoF)
    Where as my magical health tap gets to around 12-15% max.

So you benefit alot more from the physical health tap while tanking also you get more agro from large physical crits with high crit and high str.

Magic dmg is good, but there is a sweet spot, you want some but you dont need too much. IMO magic dmg is more for a dps frenzy spec, you get more consistent dps and less burst agro.

Talking

1 Strenght = 2 Armor, 3 Combat Rating and some other stuff (which you can ignore).

To tank and survive you need > 50% Mitigation.
    If you don't have to tank of course you don't need to care about mitigation.

To tank and hold aggro you need a good amount of Critical Rating, let's say 15% is good enough.

Combat Rating also helps aggro (and surviving, because of physical taps), but you can consider after Armor and Critical Rating (CR is much more important).

Critical Damage Rating it's definitely less important, since you will get an huge +Critical Damage Rating buff with VoM, that is the reason you need high Critical Rating (to trigger VoM buffs).

Constitution of course is good too, but again you can consider that after Armor and Critical Rating.

You should answer to these questions: do I have >50% Mitigation? do I have > 15% Crit Rating?

After you adjust gear according to what you need.
    Probably next question is: do I have enough aggro? Until you keep enough aggro (you are able to enter in rotation with other tanks? DPSers are overaggroing too much?), you can buff more your Constitution to be able to tank for longer, or if the boss doesn't hit too hard you can just buff your damage (Magic Damage or Combat Rating) just to provide more DPS to the group.

This is how I think at least, when I have to tank.

If you don't have to tank stack all Critical Rating and Magic Damage you can

Anyway you need Strength to survive and Critical Rating and other source of damage to hold aggro.
    You must mix all these stats together, cause you need both surviving and hold aggro, you can't directly compare them and say, for example, that Magic Damage is better then Steength.
    It's like comparing apples and pears
    Last edited by Calore; 21st March 2013 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Calore View Post
    To tank and survive you need > 50% Mitigation.
    depends what your tanking :P

I tanked w1 with 42%, but then i was getting a crap load back from taps :P

Quote Originally Posted by Harthorg View Post

50% physical mitigation seems to be a pretty good base point for a DT to tank with, it helps mitigate some of the bigger hits as your HP taps can't keep up with massive hits back to back but you don't get a lot of them in T1 and T2 but T3 some of the fights you will mainly Arbanus and as a DT with your magical damage you will get his attention.

Fortunately it's pretty easy to reach that point, I wouldn't recommend stacking wisdom or magic damage for tanking. Strength works better IMO but I have seen DTs tank like that relying on health taps and tanking in neutral stance

Quote Originally Posted by Harthorg View Post

Yes probably you can also tank T1, NMs and old dungeons with < 50% Mitigation, but let's say that for "serious" tanking - Kithai HMs, T3 and above - 50% mitigation is the lower limit, you can't go with lower (better a bit more).

Well for tanking t3 i cant use my hybrid dps tanking tali build.

So yeah around 50% is good place to be, usually I try get about 54-55% for fights like keeper boss and arbanus, usually have to tone down the crit on arbanus or i cant drop agro, so stack more armor + cont.
    Last edited by Harthorg; 22nd March 2013 at 01:27.

Agreed, 40% to 50% is fine for Khitai most fights, sometimes lower is ok. For T3 + raids, you want 53% and up I feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast