Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Polearm Tank: Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by kalston
    Why not just FA8/9 + SS? Disable does poor damage (even when it crits)
    well, becouse it is fast!
    when you want to get agro, preload FA9 if u got the time and then do short fast combo's for constant and fast dmg.
    the dmg output isnt all that great, but the in the time u do those fast combo's is dps effecient, better to build up agro than do big long combo's.
    my rotation: preload FA9(skipped if no time), storm strike+reckoning, that instaclick combo, disable , guard, FA8/AAupgrade

fast and efficient

I must say, my Disable experiments weren't as successful as my rotation with FA9 and FA8 (even with Brutal Maiming feated). Aggro isn't only build with dps but with hate as well. FA9 has a higher internal hate value as FA8 or Disable, so I take FA9 over Disable in my aggro rotation even though Disable is fast and can crit hard. If CW perked, I use FA9, CW and Storm Strike (like kalston).
    Defon (Guard)
    Nejoo (Guard) Areana (DT) Willamus (Conq)
    Ichkruchka (Demo) Defina (Necro) Defhid (HoX)
    Sagittaa (Ranger) Phaictan (Sin) Alunn (Barb)
    Defure (BS) Deforia (PoM) Nutiaret (ToS)

Really good info here, thanks a ton -
    Master at Arms AA makes Disable do a debuff, which makes it more viable to use in rotation, right?
    Or does that debuff only apply in pvp?

Also, how do you determine a combos internal hate value?

Default disable

I think disable is good in tanking if is followed by reckoning as it have better damage then reckoning after FA combos.

Quote Originally Posted by UrZhu View Post
    Also, how do you determine a combos internal hate value?
    If it's hidden, the only thing you can do is to hit the mob.

I remember a post where they estimated hate values for Guardian skills, don't remember if there was also something about combos. You need a proper boss mob to test it, tanks with exactly the same gear/build and you need to disable as much variation as possible.

But this will only lead to results like "this seem to have more aggro", "this seem to have super aggro" etc. Usually this is enough

ok this is some theory crafting with a heard base of maybe truth

Mr. Foxcat once tried to measure the agro outputted. (with some scripts.+ you should actually hear this from the master himself if he found out if his foundings were actually true. this is what i remember being told and "carried with me")
    i believe it was stated that:
    - 1 dmg from polearm = 1 "agro amount"
    - 1 dmg from s/s = 2 "agro amount"

i also believe it shield slam combo finisher gave 2000 "agro amount" + the dmg "agro amount" done.

Quote Originally Posted by Areana
    FA9 has a higher internal hate value as FA8 or Disable,
    meaning dps runs parallel with your agro output, and there is no internal hate value. it just does more dps

/theory

Quote Originally Posted by Tarib View Post
    • Additional hate from combos is only added when in defensive stance.
    Quote Originally Posted by enex on TL on June 2011
    The only "hidden" differences between solder classes is the bonus hate they gain while doing combos in defensive stance. Irritate is identical for all solders. The other abilities are slightly different. I hope this should give you something to play with.
    There IS additional hate from combos.
    Defon (Guard)
    Nejoo (Guard) Areana (DT) Willamus (Conq)
    Ichkruchka (Demo) Defina (Necro) Defhid (HoX)
    Sagittaa (Ranger) Phaictan (Sin) Alunn (Barb)
    Defure (BS) Deforia (PoM) Nutiaret (ToS)

Quote Originally Posted by Areana View Post
    There IS additional hate from combos.
    I think they were both talking about Taunt, which worked only in defstance. Now it's most likely set to 800 and hidden... but it's there.

People suspect different combos have different hate values (not coming from their dps), but didn't see any data anywhere. Many combos have names or tooltips mentioning hate/aggro, but no buff/debuff value to confirm it. It's a bit like armor threshold discussion
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 17th April 2013 at 12:14.

i'm starting to like poletanking much <3
    Tanked so far Sheng-Basil-Zodiac (3 first boss before wipe qq) and whole MC with.
    Just a question : at the time of choosing my t4 set, should i go Fearless souls or mix Courageous/Fearless (big parts+gloves) ?
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

Fearless seems mostly fine, maybe with Courageous shoulders/wrists. I'd consider getting Indomitable boots, belt and hands though (more crits and dps which does matter when poletanking)
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast