Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Polearm Tank: Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    Well, the situation is not that biter. Sure as polearm you might feel that you're a bit squishy to reach a decent aggro.

But as guard you have a huge advantage over conqs and dts, you can switch stratagems in a matter of seconds, so just take advantage of that and you'll be fine.
    Switch strategems in the matter of seconds? Please elaborate. Are you speaking of stance dancing?(which conqs and DTs can also do)

I think he is talking about the buffs that either boost your mitigation or your +hate. I usually do it against hard hitting bosses.

Mitigation whilst I'm being hit and then provoke when another tank has got it.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    The problem here is that the game again blocks content. On a fully tierd3 guard someone who wishes to go polearm can but judging from the builds here anything less and polearm tankers will just die too fast.
    I don't think it blocks content. The only blocker in T4 would be Yah Chieng, because this is a boss that favours Guardians. When we had our first Yah Chieng kill we were also only T3 geared (well, maybe one or two small T4 pieces) and all three Guardians in the raid were Tempest specced. Our build was about as offensive as the one I posted somewhere else in this sub forum, but we did use Chromatic Warding and Enduring Defense. That kill happened before they nerfed Mortal Affliction, so it's perfectly doable on offensive specced Tempest Guardians.

When I'm tanking Yah Chieng on my little SnS-Guard or on my DT, I also notice some disadvantages compared to Tempest Guardians:
    • Sometimes there is quite a big crowd running around the boss while Blade Dance is running. Sometimes I have some difficulties then to find a new spot where I can hit the boss with my sword. With a polearm I don't have these problems because of its longer reach.
    • Another advantage of Tempest Guardians would be Hit Rating. Especially with T3 equipment and Protection accessoires you barely have 10% hit rating on DTs or SnS Guardians, even if you leave Pressing Strikes active. With Stalwart feated your hits and especially spots to determine the right illusion are much more reliable, leaving you more spots to swith aggro while tanking illusions.
    • And there's DPS. It's not much but in our early kills we wanted as few Mortal Afflictions as possible so we thought the few hundred DPS more of our three Tempest Guardians put together an asset.
    Defon (Guard)
    Nejoo (Guard) Areana (DT) Willamus (Conq)
    Ichkruchka (Demo) Defina (Necro) Defhid (HoX)
    Sagittaa (Ranger) Phaictan (Sin) Alunn (Barb)
    Defure (BS) Deforia (PoM) Nutiaret (ToS)

The problem here is that the game again blocks content.
    Lolwut?

On a fully tierd3 guard someone who wishes to go polearm can but judging from the builds here anything less and polearm tankers will just die too fast.
    You can poletank T1-T3 (and most-if-not-all HMs) in T2 gear. Once you have some T3 pieces you can poletank basically anything. Where's the problem?

I poletanked since Acheronian Keeper days and never felt squishy.

In 6-mans going poletank can make a difference (if you go frenzy whenever you can), but in a raid there's too much people to even notice the dps gain. It's more reasonable to tank using s&s, because as a guardian you will be chosen for the most crappy tasks
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 21st March 2013 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    Lolwut?

You can poletank T1-T3 (and most-if-not-all HMs) in T2 gear. Once you have some T3 pieces you can poletank basically anything. Where's the problem?

I poletanked since Acheronian Keeper days and never felt squishy.

In 6-mans going poletank can make a difference (if you go frenzy whenever you can), but in a raid there's too much people to even notice the dps gain. It's more reasonable to tank using s&s, because as a guardian you will be chosen for the most crappy tasks
    The real question is ...will you look like a badass while tanking? And this is where poletankers really shine.

The real question is ...will you look like a badass while tanking? And this is where poletankers really shine.
    Poles are best when involved in late night entertainment, in no way does it make you look cool on the battlefield :P
    I am Stian ingame...

Imho, the one primary reason to put an offensive (crit-strong) poletank to a caster boss is "Vengeance is mine".

This way the vengeance counter can stack up to 10x, and the boss gets the debuff which reduces his damage by 10%. No other class can reduce boss damage that much, and mind, it helps all tanks on the boss... even with AoEs everyone else.

The offensive poletank doesn't even really need to tank, he just needs to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlekin View Post
    Imho, the one primary reason to put an offensive (crit-strong) poletank to a caster boss is "Vengeance is mine".

This way the vengeance counter can stack up to 10x, and the boss gets the debuff which reduces his damage by 10%. No other class can reduce boss damage that much, and mind, it helps all tanks on the boss... even with AoEs everyone else.

The offensive poletank doesn't even really need to tank, he just needs to be around.
    That's actually a great point. Does it only affect magic bosses?

S&S tanks stack passively when they or someone in their group is hit by melee(!!) attacks. Only guards with "Vengeance is mine" + high crit rating can stack actively. Mind, it requires equip+correct feats+Aa feats+right choice of combos to actually keep the stack on 10x in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlekin View Post
    (...)No other class can reduce boss damage that much(...)
    Bear shaman can, without much effort as well, and do we even know that 'reduce mob damage' buffs stack?
    I am Stian ingame...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast